Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » C » Battle of the Crater

Battle of the Crater

July 30, 1864

Fought on July 30, 1864, the Battle of the Crater was a failed Union attempt to bring an early conclusion to the Petersburg Campaign, which subsequently lasted until March 1865.

On March 10, 1864, President Abraham Lincoln appointed Ulysses S. Grant as General-in-Chief of the Armies of the United States. Grant brought with him, from his successes in the Western Theater of the war, a reputation for the doggedness that Lincoln was seeking in his generals. Unlike previous Union generals, whose leadership was marked by their own timidity, Grant was tenacious. Upon his arrival in Washington, Grant drafted a plan to get the various Union armies in the field to act in concert. He also devised his Overland Campaign to invade east-central Virginia. Unlike previous campaigns into that area, Grant's plan focused upon defeating General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, rather than capturing or occupying geographic locations. Grant instructed General George Meade, who commanded the Army of the Potomac, "Wherever Lee goes, there you will go also." Grant realized that, with the superior resources he had at his disposal, Lee was destined to lose a war of attrition, as long as Northern troops persistently engaged the Confederates.

On May 4, 1864, Grant launched his Overland Campaign when the Army of the Potomac crossed the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers, occupying an area locally known as the Wilderness. For the next eight weeks, the two sides engaged in a series of horrific battles that produced unprecedented numbers of casualties. Following a bloody frontal assault at Cold Harbor that cost the Federals an estimated thirteen thousand casualties, Grant abandoned his hope to defeat Lee's army head-on. Instead, Grant decided to isolate the Army of Northern Virginia at Richmond and, then, slowly to starve it into submission by cutting off its supply lines. The key to the plan was capturing Petersburg, Virginia.

Petersburg, Virginia, is located on the south bank of the Appomattox River, roughly twenty miles below Richmond. During the Civil War, the two cities were connected by the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, which served as an important conduit for supplies to the Confederate capital. In addition to the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, two other rail lines converged at Petersburg. The Weldon Railroad (also called the Petersburg and Weldon Railroad) connected Petersburg to the Confederacy's last linkage to overseas markets at Wilmington, North Carolina. Farther to the west, the South Side Railroad joined Petersburg to Lynchburg, Virginia and points westward. If Grant could cut these rail lines, Lee would be forced to abandon Richmond.

By early June 1864, Grant's forces were digging in around the east side of Petersburg. The Union entrenchments roughly paralleled the Confederate defenses and were often very close. At a bulge in the Rebel fortifications known as Elliott's Salient, the lines were less than four hundred feet apart.

The Union position opposite Elliott's Salient was manned by Major General Ambrose Burnside's 9th Corps, which included the 48th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Henry C. Pleasants. Many members of the 48th Pennsylvania were coal miners from Schuylkill County. Pleasants reportedly overheard some of his men declare that "We could blow that damned fort out of existence if we could run a mine shaft under it" and proposed the idea to his superiors. Army engineers ridiculed the idea because they believed that the length of the tunnel would be too long to supply oxygen to the miners as they dug. Despite the reservations of their engineers, Burnside and Grant approved the idea, and work commenced.

The miners started digging on June 25, using improvised tools. Three weeks later they had tunneled nearly 511 feet to a position directly beneath the Confederate battery manning Elliot's Salient. On July 18, the miners began extending the main shaft to the left and right, creating branches that paralleled the Rebel lines above them. When the work was completed on July 23, the Pennsylvania miners had excavated a tunnel 586 feet long, twenty feet below the enemy fortifications. By July 27, the mine was charged with eight thousand pounds of black powder.

As the mining was proceeding, the Rebels who manned the salient became suspicious when they detected what some believed were the sounds of the digging below them. Confederate engineers, however, shared the belief of their Union counterparts that it was not possible to excavate a mine shaft over four hundred feet long without accompanying ventilation shafts. Despite reassurances from their engineers, the Rebel officers who commanded the salient, Stephen Elliott and Richard Pegram, ordered their men to dig vertical shafts armed with countermines, just in case the Yankees were mining down below. Fortunately for the Pennsylvanians, the enemy shafts missed their marks. When the Federals completed the tunnel on July 23, the Rebels also quit digging after hearing no more sounds below them.

Meanwhile, as the tunneling was proceeding, Burnside created a battle plan that featured a large-scale assault by the 9th Corps after the detonation of the explosives. Burnside ordered General Edward Ferrero commanding the 4th Division, which included 4,300 United States Colored Troops, to lead the attack. Despite the fact that Burnside had ensured that the men of the 4th were well-trained to carry out their orders, Meade and Grant countermanded the assignment the day before the assault. They reasoned that, if the attack failed, the Lincoln administration would be criticized for sending large numbers of black soldiers to their deaths. Forced to acquiesce to the orders of his superiors, Burnside had his three other divisional commanders draw straws to determine who would lead the assault, even though their white soldiers had not been trained for the mission. Brigadier-General James H. Ledlie drew the short straw, and the 1st Division was assigned to the task.

At 3:15 on the morning of July 30, Henry Pleasants lit the fuse to detonate the explosives. When the blast failed to materialize after a long wait, two volunteers went into the shaft to discover that the flame had gone out. After relighting the fuse, the volunteers scrambled to safety before the detonation occurred at 4:44. Simultaneous to the explosion, 110 Union guns and fifty-four mortars began a barrage of the Rebel position.

On the Confederate side of the line, the blast created a gaping chasm more than 170 feet long, sixty feet across, and thirty feet deep. At least 278 Rebel soldiers were killed instantly, some being blown as high as one hundred feet in the air.

While Ledlie remained in the rear, allegedly drinking rum, his untrained troops poured into the breach. They unwisely rushed into the crater rather than circumventing it. Upon realizing that they could not scale the soft earth on the opposite wall, they discovered that they were trapped. The Confederate defenders who had escaped the initial shock of the blast assembled sharpshooters and artillery at the edge of the hole and commenced target practice on the unfortunate Yankees.

Burnside continued to thrust reinforcements into the gap, but many of them made the mistake of joining their comrades in the crater. By 8:30 a.m., more than fifteen thousand Union troops were inside of the Confederate lines, but a large number of them were pinned down in what had become an abyss of horror.

Meanwhile, when Robert E. Lee learned of the breach in the Confederate defenses, he quickly dispatched two infantry brigades commanded by Brigadier-General William Mahone to fill the void. Mahone's soldiers arrived at the scene and immediately began driving the few Yankees who had escaped the crater back into the chasm of death. Throughout the morning and midday, the Confederates rained a hail of lead on the living, wounded, and dead Federal soldiers baking under the blazing sun. Shortly after 1 p.m., Mahone ordered a charge into the crater that resulted in a bloody struggle, featuring fixed bayonets and rifle butts before the Bluecoats submitted. By the end of the battle, Burnside's Corps suffered nearly four thousand casualties (killed, wounded and captured), compared with approximately 1500 losses for the Confederates. Especially hard hit were the United States Colored Troops, who lost 1,327 soldiers, some of whom were murdered as they attempted to surrender or after they were captured.

Following the battle, Grant and Meade shifted the blame to Burnside and Ledlie. Burnside was relieved of his command and would never lead troops in battle again. Meade, however, did not escape the wrath of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War, which criticized Meade for his decision to replace Ferraro's colored troops with the incompetent Ledlie's white soldiers. In their 1865 report on the Battle of the Crater, the committee concluded that it could not "avoid the conclusion that the first and great cause of disaster was the change made on the afternoon preceding the attack, in the arrangement of general Burnside to place the division of colored troops in the advance."

The outcome of the Battle of the Crater was a tactical Confederate victory, but it did not reverse the eventual outcome of the Petersburg Campaign. Although the Yankees were unable to take advantage of their temporary breach of the Rebel fortifications, Grant's forces still remained in position to tighten his stranglehold on the vital Confederate supply center. Lee would hold on for another eight months before evacuating Petersburg and Richmond. A few weeks after Petersburg’s capture, the Army of Northern Virginia surrendered.

Ohio units that participated in the Battle of the Crater included:

Infantry units:

60th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Cavalry units:

13th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry (fought dismounted with infantry forces)

Sharpshooter units:

9thIndependent Company Ohio Volunteer Sharpshooters

10th Independent Company Ohio Volunteer Sharpshooters

Related Entries