Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 14th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Three Years Service)

14th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Three Years Service)


In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Infantry regiments formed in Ohio became known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Soldiers of Ohio infantry regiments served the Union for varying lengths of time, ranging from one hundred days to three years. One of the three-year regiments was the 14th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Organization occurred at Toledo, Ohio, and the regiment mustered into service on August 1, 1861. The 14th Regiment had previously organized for three months service, but officials requested that the regiment's members reenlist for three years service. The soldiers who did reenlist became the nucleus of the new 14th Ohio.

On August 23, 1861, the 14th departed Toledo for Cincinnati, Ohio. Two days later, the regiment crossed the Ohio River to Covington, Kentucky, where the organization boarded railroad cars for Lexington, Kentucky and then Frankfort, Kentucky. On August 27, 1861, the organization again boarded railroad cars and this time traveled to Nicholasville, Kentucky, where the 14th entered camp. On October 2, 1861, the regiment arrived at Camp Dick Robinson in Kentucky. In mid-October, the organization advanced towards Wild Cat, Kentucky, where Confederates had besieged a Union force. The 14th reached this town on October 21, 1861 and immediately engaged enemy forces, driving them from the community. The Northerners pursued the retreating Confederates as far as London, Kentucky, before marching to Lebanon, Kentucky, where the 14th entered winter encampment.

On December 31, 1861, the 14th advanced towards Mill Springs, Kentucky. On the march, Union forces defeated a group of Confederate soldiers at Logan’s Cross Roads. Only Company C of the 14th participated in this engagement. By January 19, 1862, the Union command reached Mill Springs. Northern artillery shelled a Confederate position that day, and on the following day, Union forces stormed the enemy position, capturing twenty pieces of artillery. The 14th was the first Union organization to enter the Confederate works. Following the battle, the regiment entered camp at Mill Springs. On February 11, 1862, the organization advanced towards Louisville, Kentucky, arriving at this city on February 26. The 14th immediately boarded steamers and sailed to Nashville, Tennessee, disembarking on March 4. At Nashville, the regiment constructed earthworks, before departing the city, with the rest of the Army of the Ohio, for Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee on March 20, 1862.

On April 6, 1862, the 14th arrived at Savannah and immediately rushed to Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, approximately eleven miles away, where the Battle of Shiloh raged. Unfortunately, the regiment did not reach the battlefield until the evening of April 7, after the battle had ended in a Union victory.

The 14th encamped at Pittsburg Landing, except for a brief expedition to Chickasaw Landing, until late April 1862, when the command joined the Union advance against Corinth, Mississippi. The regiment participated in the Siege of Corinth from April 29 to May 30, 1862. Upon the North's occupation of the city, the 14th pursued the retreating Confederate garrison as far as Booneville, Mississippi, before entering camp at Corinth. The regiment next joined the Army of the Ohio's advance into northern Alabama, passing through Iuka, Mississippi and Florence, Alabama, before entering camp at Tuscumbia, Tennessee.

In early September 1862, the 14th joined the Army of the Ohio's pursuit of Confederate General Braxton Bragg's army, which had launched an invasion of Kentucky and was threatening Ohio's southern border. The Union army beat the Confederates to Louisville and, after several weeks of rest, advanced against the Southerners. On October 8, 1862, the Army of the Ohio engaged Bragg's Confederates at the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky, but the 14th did not arrive on the battlefield until after the engagement had ended. As a result of this battle, the Confederates withdrew from Kentucky. The Army of the Ohio briefly pursued the enemy, before marching to Nashville. The 14th entered camp at Gallatin, Tennessee and conducted periodic raids against Confederate General John Hunt Morgan’s cavalry.

On January 13, 1863, the 14th advanced to Nashville, before marching to Murfreesboro, Tennessee on January 15, 1863. The regiment then encamped at Lavergne, Tennessee. In late June 1863, the Army of the Cumberland, including the 14th, embarked upon the Tullahoma Campaign (June 24-July 3, 1863), a Union advance into southern Tennessee and northern Alabama. The regiment played a major role in driving enemy forces from Hoover’s Gap on June 26 and from Tullahoma, Tennessee on June 28.

In late August 1863, the 14th departed Tullahoma and embarked upon the Army of the Cumberland's advance into northern Georgia. The regiment skirmished repeatedly with Confederate forces belonging to General Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee. On September 19 and 20, 1863, the two armies fought the Battle of Chickamauga. The 19th remained engaged both days, losing 233 men killed, wounded, and missing or captured out of 449 available for duty at the battle’s start. . On the evening of September 20, the entire Army of the Cumberland withdrew to Chattanooga, Tennessee. After this battle, the 14th's commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. FOURTEENTH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, Chattanooga, Tenn., September 26, 1863.

CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following as a report of the part taken during the two days' engagement with the enemy by my command:

The morning of the 19th, before any firing was commenced, after moving in line, my command occupied the right of the second line, in rear of the Tenth Indiana, consisting of 18 commissioned officers and 442 enlisted men.

In this position we advanced 500 yards when we were ordered to the extreme right of the front line, where skirmishers were thrown out covering our front.

A heavy force of infantry were seen approaching our extreme right, and the Seventy-fourth Indiana were formed upon our right to meet them. The enemy advanced with three colums of infantry, without skirmishers, and forced us to retire.

In the afternoon, when the advance was again made more to the right, our position was still on the extreme right.

In this position we were ordered to [move] forward until we came to an open field or the left of the line should halt. In this position we advanced about 200 yards, when the enemy's skirmishers were met and driven back. We then charged upon their line and drove them for over 200 yards, when our line met a superior force and, being outflanked, retired fighting. We were then moved to the right, but without any more fighting. We lay in an open field near where the brigade was halted for breakfast till 6.30 p. m., when we were ordered to the rear for the night. Our loss during the day was 29 killed, 7 commissioned officers and 130 enlisted men wounded, and 31 reported missing.

At 3 o'clock the morning of the 20th we moved by the right flank to the right of the road, and took position in the second line, in rear of the Thirty-first Ohio and a battery, and on the right of the Tenth Kentucky.

We were in this position when the line on our right was turned, and held the position until the right was so far driven back that the enemy held position in our rear, and were forced to retire. We fell back across the field, and there rallied what men I could and formed them upon the hill. During the confusion my command became separated and were kept so during the day; but from what fell under my own observation I can report that I never saw men, disorganized as they were, fight better.

The major and several other of the officers, with what men they could rally, remained upon the hill to the right of the hospital (on the right), and fought until the enemy fell back and gave up the contest. It was 6.30 p. m. when they were withdrawn and moved to the rear.

The confusion which we were at times thrown into renders a more explicit report impracticable. Our colors were shot down three times on the 19th and twice on the 20th, but were bravely defended and brought from the field at night.

The loss on the 20th was 7 men killed, 1 commissioned officer and 29 men wounded, and 12 missing.

I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

H. D. KINGSBURY, Lieut.-Col., Comdg.

Capt. LOUIS J. LAMBERT, Asst. Adjt. Gen., Third Div., 14th Army Corps.

At Chattanooga, Bragg's Confederate army besieged the Union garrison from late September to late November 1863. On November 25, the 14th fought in the Battle of Missionary Ridge, driving Bragg's remaining soldiers from the ridge, attaining a Union victory, and ending the Chattanooga Campaign. In this engagement, the regiment captured three enemy artillery pieces, while losing sixteen men killed, ninety-one wounded, and three soldiers missing. After the siege, the regiment's commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. FOURTEENTH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, Chattanooga, Tennessee, December 2, 1863.

CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken in the late engagement:

At about 4 p. m. of the 23d, my command was ordered to be prepared with two days' cooked rations, and be ready to march immediately. Very soon thereafter, the brigade, of which my regiment forms a part, commenced moving outside the works, through the sally-port at the left of Fort Negley. I followed the Seventy-fourth Indiana, marching left in front. After marching out about 400 yards, I was ordered to form in double column, closed en masse, on the right of the Thirty-eighth Ohio and in the second line of the brigade, and stacked arms, my command numbering 15 officers and 259 men.

We remained in position in front of Fort Negley till near 12 m., at which time we moved to the left nearly half a mile. We changed our position several times, when we were ordered to deploy and form in single line on the left of the Fourth Kentucky. It was then 4 a. m. the 24th, when we were ordered to strengthen a line of works that we then occupied on the left of the-road. By 10 a. m. the rifle-pits were completed, and all the brush to the picket line cut in our front.

We remained on the same ground till the morning of the 25th at 10.30 a. m., when we were ordered to the left, apparently to support Gen. Sherman. We marched up the river about 3 miles, and were then halted, faced about, and marched back about 1 1/2 miles, and then filed into the woods toward Missionary Ridge. We formed in line about three-fourths of a mile from the foot of the ridge, my command occupying the extreme left of the second line, being in the rear of the Thirty-eighth Ohio and on the left of the Tenth Indiana. We moved out into an open field on double-quick, and across it to a rise of ground, about midway to the foot of the ridge. In doing so we were under an enfilading fire of a rebel battery on the summit of the ridge immediately over our left flank. In reaching the rise of ground I lost 1 man wounded by shell. After reaching the rise of ground we were partially covered by it, and lay in line about thirty minutes. We were again ordered forward double-quick across the clearing to the foot of Missionary Ridge. While crossing, the fire from the rebel battery was very severe. I lost 1 man killed and 2 wounded. We were ordered up the hill, and reached it just in time to prevent our forces from being driven back.

For half an hour the firing was quite severe upon my left. I lost in making the ascent and after reaching it 3 men killed and 17 wounded.

The officers and men behaved most gallantly in the charge up Missionary Ridge. After the fighting ceased, I stacked arms and immediately constructed a work in front of my regiment.

On the morning of the 26th, I was ordered to have my men prepared with four days' cooked rations, and each supplied with 100 rounds of ammunition, which order was complied with, and I awaited orders. At 2 p. m. we marched by the right flank off Missionary Ridge, and bivouacked on the Rossville road at 6 p. m.

The morning of the 27th, at 4.30 a. m., we marched on toward Ringgold, via Graysville, on the La Fayette road. Firing was distinctly heard in front and to our right, and we were pushed forward at a rapid rate. We formed in line just north of Ringgold, but were too late to take any part in the engagement.

The 28th, we were ordered up the railroad 1 1/2 miles to burn some bridges and destroy the railroad. We were there engaged until night. The 29th, at 11 o'clock, we were ordered back to Chattanooga to our camp, which place we reached at 4.30 p. m., being five hours and a half in marching 18 miles.

I have the honor to be, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

H. D. KINGSBURY, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

Capt. A. C. McCLURG, A. A. A. G., Third Division, 14th Army Corps.

Following the Chattanooga Campaign, the 14th pursued the retreating Confederates as far as Ringgold, Georgia. The regiment returned to Chattanooga on November 29, 1863 and entered camp. In late December 1863, a majority of the regiment’s members reenlisted, with the re-enlistees receiving a thirty-day furlough to their homes in Ohio. Upon returning to the front, the 14th entered camp at Chattanooga, before moving to Ringgold on March 5, 1864.

In early May 1864, the 14th Ohio embarked upon Union General William T. Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. The goal of this expedition was for Northern forces to capture the important manufacturing center of Atlanta, Georgia. The regiment served on the Union left flank during most of the campaign and fought in many of the largest engagements, including the Battles of Atlanta and Jonesborough. At Jonesborough, the 14th captured four artillery pieces and several enemy flags. The Union military occupied Atlanta on September 2, 1864, bringing the campaign to a victorious conclusion for the North. The 14th's commanding officers issued the following reports regarding the campaign:


CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the regiment during the advance of the Federal army thus far, since the opening of the present campaign:

May 10, broke up camp at Ringgold, and a march of ten miles brought us to two miles south of Tunnel Hill, and in front of and near Buzzard Roost Gap. May 11, marched as train guard seven miles southeast. May 12, left bivouac at 6.30 a. m. to repair road passed through and bivouacked one and a half miles southeast of Villanow; distance marched, Six and a half miles. May 13, moved at 8 a. m., passed through Snake Creek Gap, and a march of eleven miles brought us within three and a half miles of Resaca, and in rear of the Twenty-third Corps. May 14, at 7a. m. marched southeast two miles and took position at 8.30 a. m. On left of the division and in rear of first brigade. May 15, moved to our right one and a half miles and relieved part of the Fifteenth Army Corps; put one company out as skirmishers, who were hotly engaged throughout the day; casualties of the day, 3 men wounded, 1 mortally. May 16, the rebels evacuated their works at 3 a. m. My skirmishers entered Resaca at dawn of day and the regiment followed at 7.30 a. m. May 17, left Resaca at 3 a. m., and a march of five miles brought us to Calhoun, Gordon County, through which we passed at 9 a. m. marched south on the Atlanta road and bivouacked six miles from Calhoun. May 18, took Up our line of march at 7.30 a. m; passed through Adairsville, and went into camp near the railroad; distance marched, ten miles. May 19, left camp at 9 a. m. A march of five miles brought us to Kingston. One mile south of Kingston an attack was anticipated. Lines were formed, skirmishers pushed forward, and rebels fell back and permitted us to bivouac three miles east of Kingston. May 23, marched at 11.40 a. m. crossed the Etowah River below Gillem's Bridge, three miles south of which we went into bivouac. The day was very warm, the roads dusty, and the march of eleven miles fatigued the men very much. May 24, moved forward half a mile and took position on Dr. Jones' plantation. May 26, moved to Burnt Hickory; distance, twelve miles. May 28, moved toward Dallas three miles and bivouacked. May 29, marched northeast and camped two miles east of Burnt Hickory.

June 1, marched southeast, crossing Pumpkin Vine Creek and camping in rear of Twenty-third Corps; distance marched, seven miles. June 2, marched at 9.25 a. m. one and a half miles and relieved the Thirty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry under heavy skirmish fire; put two companies on skirmish line, which at that time was the extreme left of the Fourteenth Corps; had 2 men wounded. June 3, had two companies on skirmish line, which was sharply engaged all day. It was on my line that the much-lamented Maj. D. W. Norton was killed. Casualty of the regiment, 1 man killed. June 4, skirmishing very brisk all day; my regiment was relieved by the One hundred and forty-third New York Infantry and ordered in rear of the Tenth Kentucky Infantry; casualties, 2 men wounded. June 5, rebels evacuated their works in our front at 7 a. m. June 6, moved six miles and camped two miles south of Acworth and near Proctor's Creek. June 10, moved two miles and took position in front of Pine Knob, on left of front line of brigade. June 11, moved one mile southeast and took position on the right of the front line of the brigade, which was then the right of the Fourteenth Army Corps. June 14, at 11 a. m. moved southeast one mile with two companies on the skirmish line, which were hotly engaged till night; casualties of the regiment, 9 men wounded. June 15, advanced one mile and took position on right of rear line of brigade, which was on the right of the Fourteenth Army Corps; casualties, 1 man killed and 3 wounded, 1 mortally. June 17, rebels evacuated all their works on our right of the center of the Fourteenth Army Corps; heavy skirmishing all day; casualty, 1 man killed. June 18, regiment moved forward at 9 a. m. one mile and took position on right of front line of brigade, which was held in reserve to the First and Second Brigades; heavy fighting in front of the Fourteenth Army Corps all day. June 19, advanced one mile and took up quarters in rear of brigade, which was posted one and a half miles from and west of the south point of Kenesaw; heavy picket-firing throughout the day. June 20, two companies on picket-line; heavy cannonading in front of the left of the Fourteenth Army Corps. June 21, the usual skirmishing to-day; 1 man wounded. June 22, rebels commenced from the summit of South Kenesaw to shell our camp; casualties, 2 men wounded. June 24, casualties on picketline, 3 men wounded, one mortally. June 26, moved two miles south and bivouacked in rear of the right of Fourth Army Corps. June 27, moved forward at 10 a. m. one and a half miles and lay in rear of brigade, which lay in reserve to Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps. June 30, moved southeast one and a quarter miles and relieved Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, of the Twentieth Army Corps, which placed me on the left of the brigade.

July 3, rebels evacuated Kenesaw and all their works supporting that position, and fell back six miles toward the Chattahoochee River. Regt. moved to Marietta, thence south six miles, and bivouacked near junction of Atlanta and Sandtown roads. July 4, heavy artillery firing all day. July 6, rebels fell back to within nine and a half miles of Atlanta. My regiment preceded the Tenth Indiana Infantry; moved forward two and a half miles, and engaged the rebel skirmishers; pushed them back and took position on railroad at ten-mile stone, the Fourteenth being on left of front line. July 7, had 1 man wounded. July 9, 3 men wounded, 1 mortally. July 10, rebels evacuated north side of river; regiment moved and camped near Vining's Station. July 17, regiment crossed the Chattahoochee and bivouacked on the south bank. July 18, moved south two and a half miles and bivouacked on south side of Nancy's Creek. July 19, advanced two and a half miles and took position one-quarter mile south of Peach Tree Creek; regiment on right of front line, joining First Brigade. July 20, advanced one-quarter mile and took position on left of front line of brigade; heavy skirmishing; had 1 man killed and 3 wounded. July 21, advanced a half mile in support of skirmishers, who made a charge, capturing rebel skirmish pits; had 1 officer and 5 men wounded; regiment on left of front line of brigade and division. July 22, rebels abandoned their works at 2 a. m. and fell back to Atlanta; regiment advanced two and a half miles; took position a half mile west of railroad and two and a half miles from Atlanta on the Turner's Ferry road on left of front line of brigade, which was on left of the division, the right of which rested on Proctor's Crook; remaining in this position, skirmishing daily, having but 1 man wounded, until August 3. Relieved by part of Twentieth Army Corps and moved southwest four miles and took position on right of Twenty-third Army Corps on right of rear line of brigade and near Utoy Creek. August 4, had two companies on skirmish line; lost 2 men wounded. August 5, assisted in charging rebel skirmishers, a majority of whom were captured; lost 3 men killed, 9 wounded, 2 of whom proved mortal. August 6, had 1 man mortally wounded and 3 captured. August 7, heavy picket-firing to-day; had 7 men wounded.

It affords me great pleasure to report that both officers and men under my command have acted nobly. Their conduct under fire could not be excelled. An interest was manifested by all to reach the point for which they started. Therefore, in justice to all, it would be impossible for me to particularize. The casualties since May 10 are 7 killed, 1 commissioned officer and 55 men wounded, 9 of which proved mortal, and 3 captured.

I am, captain, very respectfully,

J. W. WILSON, Maj., Cmdg.

Capt. W. F. SPOFFORD, Acting Assistant Adj.-Gen.

HDQRS. FOURTEENTH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, Near Jonesborough, Ga., September 3, 1864.

COL.: I have the honor to report the following part taken by the Fourteenth Ohio in the charge of September 1, 1864:

At 5.27 p. m. the regiment, consisting of 19 officers and 309 enlisted men, was in line, without knapsacks, and moving forward on the rebel works. The brigade was in double line and the Fourteenth occupying the left of the second line and immediately in rear of the Thirty-eighth Ohio. The moving of the troops in the open field was slow in advancing so that when we were ready to charge the men were in splendid line and unfatigued. The charge was a brilliant success; in which we carried two lines of the enemy's works, and killed, wounded, or captured the whole rebel line in our front. The charge was made in splendid style, and with a will that could not fail of success. Every officer and every man appeared to be determined to break the rebel line. The loss of the regiment in the charge was 2 commissioned officers and 14 enlisted men killed, and 6 officers and 68 men wounded. Accompanying is a list of casualties. The rebel line of works was not completed, burn was near enough to be effective against infantry. Nothing but infantry was in our immediate front, who fought stubbornly, and continued fighting until our lines reached the works with their bayonets. After reaching the works the rebels still bold the line left of where our line reached, protected by traverses and enfiladed our lines severely for half an hour. In the early part of the action Maj. John W. Wilson had his letter broken, which prevented him from superintending the movement of the regiment. It is impossible to make special mention of any officer of the regiment for deeds of gallantry, for all did their whole duty nobly. Of the enlisted men, I would make honorable mention of Private Joseph E. Warner, of Company A, for deeds of bravery and noble daring, who bore the colors and was among the first and foremost to reach the second line of rebel works, where he planted the colors on their top; but no sooner planted than he was shot and the colors fell. Corpl. John Beely, of Company H, of the color guard, seized them immediately and was severely wounded; Corpl. John S. Snook, of Company G, of the color guard, then caught them and planted them again upon the works, and by his own hand held them there till the victory was won. Sergt. Maj. Jesse Trapp was severely wounded in the arm at the opening of the charge, but remained upon the field doing his duty bravely till the works were taken.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

G. W. KIRK, Capt., Cmdg.

Col. GEORGE P. ESTE, Comdg. Third Brig., Third Div., 14th Army Corps.

Following the Atlanta Campaign, the 14th encamped at Atlanta for a few weeks, before joining the Union’s pursuit of Confederate General John Bell Hood’s army, which was advancing through northern Georgia, northern Alabama, and southern Tennessee in the direction of Nashville. Upon reaching Rome, Georgia, the regiment returned to the vicinity of Atlanta, encamping at Kingston.

On November 15, 1864, the 14th Ohio joined General Sherman's "March to the Sea." The ultimate goal of this campaign was for the Union military to seize Savannah, Georgia. The regiment saw no real combat on this campaign until reaching Savannah, where the organization participated in the Union's siege lines of the city's Confederate garrison. The Union military occupied Savannah on December 21, 1864, with the 14th entering camp in the city’s outskirts.

In late January 1865, the 14th Ohio embarked upon General Sherman’s Carolinas Campaign. In South Carolina, the regiment participated in several skirmishes with Confederate forces. In early March 1865, the 14th entered North Carolina, arriving at Fayetteville in the middle of the month. The organization next moved to Goldsboro, North Carolina, before advancing to Raleigh, North Carolina. During the campaign, the 14th‘s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. FOURTEENTH OHIO VOL. INFANTRY, Goldsborough, N. C., March 28, 1865.

CAPT.: I have the honor to report the part taken by my regiment in the late campaign from Savannah, Ga., to Goldsborough, N. C.:

The regiment left Savannah, GA., January 20, 1865, and marched in column with the brigade during the campaign.

February 5, the regiment crossed the Savannah River at Sister's Ferry and entered the State of South Carolina, passing through the State from south to north, destroying all railroads and other property of value to the rebel army.

February 27, we had I commissioned officer and 12 enlisted men captured while foraging near the Catawba River.

We crossed the North Carolina line March 4 and marched toward Fayetteville, where we arrived March 11. Remained there three days and did garrison duty in the eastern part of town. March 5, the regiment lost 1 man, captured while foraging, and March 10 had 2 men captured while foraging. At 10 p. m. of the 15th of March we left Fayetteville and crossed Cape Fear River, and in the rain and dark pulled the brigade train up the river-bank, where mud found without bottom. From Fayetteville, N. C., we marched toward Goldsborough, N. C., guarding the Fourteenth Army Corps train. Arrived at Goldsborough March 23, passing through with the train going to Kinston for supplies, arriving near Kinston the same day. Started back March 25, 1865, to Goldsborough, and arrived there on the 26th of March, 1865, and immediately went into camp on the north of town. During the campaign the regiment took no part I any fighting or skirmishing, but a very active part in building corduroy roads and bridges, which was almost an every-day business. The regiment was subsisted principally from that country that is passed through, drawing less than one-third rations from Government supplies.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

;LBERT MOORE, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. J. B. NEWTON, Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 3d Brig., 3d Div., 14th Army Corps.

Following the surrender of General Joseph Johnston's Confederate army in late April 1865, the 14th marched to Washington, DC, where the organization participated in the Grand Review on May 24, 1865. In early June 1865, the regiment proceeded to Louisville, Kentucky, taking the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to Parkersburg, West Virginia and then boarding a steamer and sailing down the Ohio River the remainder of the way. On July 11, 1865, the 14th mustered out of service at Louisville. The regiment then proceeded to Toledo, Ohio, where officials discharged the unit's members on July 13, 1865, allowing the men to return to their homes.

During the 14th Ohio's term of service, 146 men, including five officers, died from wounds received on the battlefield. An additional 186 men, including one officer, died from disease or accidents.

Related Entries