Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 30th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

30th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry


In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Infantry regiments formed in Ohio became known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Soldiers of Ohio infantry regiments served the Union for varying lengths of time, ranging from one hundred days to three years. One of the three-year regiments was the 30th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The regiment organized at Camp Chase, at Columbus, Ohio, and mustered into service on August 28, 1861.

On August 30, 1861, the 30th departed Camp Chase for Clarksburg, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia). On September 2, the regiment advanced from Clarksburg to Weston, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia). Four days later, officials ordered the 30th to Sutton Heights in present-day West Virginia, where the regiment joined General William S. Rosecrans’s command. Rosecrans’s force soon marched for Summerville, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), with the 30th's Companies D, F, G, and I left at Sutton Heights to garrison the town. On the march to Summerville, officials assigned Companies C and E to garrison duty at Big Birch Bottoms. The 30th’s remaining four companies eventually advanced with Rosecrans to Carnifex Ferry in present-day West Virginia, where the Battle of Carnifex Ferry erupted on September 10, 1861. Following this Union victory, the Northerners advanced to Big Sewell Mountain, arriving at this location on September 24, 1861. Heavy rains limited the Northern force and prompted the command to withdraw to the Gauley River and to encamp at Camp Ewing. Confederate artillerists routinely shelled the camp, prompting the Northerners to drive the Southerners away, pursuing them as far as Fayette Court House in present-day West Virginia, where the 30th’s four companies quartered in the town’s deserted homes.

Meanwhile, the detachment at Sutton Heights participated in numerous expeditions against Confederate guerrillas. On one occasion, guerrillas killed one of the 30th’s men. His comrades could not find the killer, so the men executed two other prisoners captured later that same day. On December 23, 1861, these four companies rejoined the rest of the regiment at Fayette Court House. The two companies at Big Birch Bottoms had previously arrived at this same location.

The 30th spent the winter of 1861-1862 at Fayette Court House. The 30th spent most of the time constructing fortifications, although, in late December, Companies F and K moved to Raleigh Court House, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia). The companies remained in the town until returning to Fayette Court House on March 10, 1862. On April 17, 1862, the entire regiment moved to Raleigh Court House. On May 5, the 30th advanced to Princeton, Virginia in present-day West Virginia, before marching towards Giles’s Court House. Upon hearing that Confederate soldiers had seized this town and had driven back the Union garrison, the regiment raced forward toward Giles Court House but arrived too late to change the course of the battle. The organization then encamped at the confluence of the East River and the New River.

On May 17, 1862, the 30th’s brigade, consisting of the 30th, 12th, and 23rd Regiments Ohio Volunteer Infantry, withdrew to Princeton. Two days later, the brigade advanced to and entered camp at Great Flat Top Mountain in present-day West Virginia. The Northerners used bark from chestnut trees to build shelters and named the site Camp Bark. On June 1, 1862, officials dispatched two companies of the 30th to Green Meadows, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), where the organizations served on outpost duty for a brief period of time.

On August 16, 1862, the 30th departed Great Flat Top Mountain for eastern Virginia. The regiment marched to Brownstown in present-day West Virginia, before boarding boats and sailing down the Kanawha River to Parkersburg, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia). From this location, the organization traveled on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to Washington, DC, and then advanced to Warrenton Junction, Virginia, arriving on August 23, 1862. Officials assigned the 30th to General John Pope’s headquarters at Centerville, Virginia and placed the organization on guard duty. The regiment was under enemy artillery fire at the Battle of Centerville in late August 1862 but did not engage the Confederates.

On September 3, 1862, the 30th marched to Upton Hills, Virginia. Four days later, the regiment returned to Washington, before entering Maryland. On September 9, the 30th, now part of the Army of the Potomac, advanced on Frederick, Maryland and entered the city. Five days later, the regiment participated in the Battle of South Mountain. In this engagement, the 30th endured a horrific artillery barrage, before repulsing an enemy infantry assault. After this battle, the regiment’s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. THIRTIETH REGIMENT OHIO VOL. INFANTRY. Battle-field, September 14, 1862.

SIR: In compliance with orders from Col. Scammon, commanding, I moved at 10 a. m. with the Thirtieth Regiment to turn the enemy's left, and assist in taking the battery planted on the crest of the mountain. Lieut.-Col. Jones, in command of a heavy body of skirmishers, covered the advance of the column, and immediately began to drive in their outlying sentries. At the same time a battery on a spur to our right opened upon us a heavy fire of shell. We took possession if the crest halt or deployment, and formed line of battle to move upon the support in rear of the battery. At this moment the enemy developed himself in force on our right flank, and we changed front and increased and pushed our line of skirmishers against him. Soon he showed him-self in force passing down a lane in front, and in a moment opened a heavy fire from a thicket on our left, which we soon silenced. In five minutes he, having changed his battery 600 yards to our right front, sent in on us a hail of grape, and we fell a few yards back, under cover.

We lay here supporting a battery, which was soon sent up, until 5 o'clock when, supported on the right and left, under your orders we, with the entire line charged over the rise thickets to the cleared fields which lay before the battery, and in and beyond which, behind stone walls and in covers, lay the enemy's supports in heavy masses. Here a spirited engagement ensued, which was kept up with great animation until, our ammunition beginning to fail, the second line was ordered up, and we fell back slowly and in perfect order to our former position. The officers and men, under an unceasing fire of eight hours of musketry, grape, and shell, obeyed all orders with alacrity intelligence, and skill, and stood at the close under an excessive fire of musketry and grape with a hardihood which elicited the applause of all who saw them.

Lieut.-Col. Jones exposed himself repeatedly, and exhibited great judgment in carrying out the delicate duties assigned him. Our killed, as so far handed in, is 21; wounded, 65.* I have the honor be, sir, your obedient servant,

HUGH EWING, Col., Comdg. Thirtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

R. P. KENNEDY. Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Kanawha Division.

By the evening of September 16, 1862, the regiment had arrived at Sharpsburg, Maryland, where the Battle of Antietam erupted the next day. In this engagement, the 30th crossed Burnside’s Bridge on the Union left and drove back the Confederate right. Confederate reinforcements from General A.P. Hill’s command counterattacked, driving the Northerners back. In this battle, the regiment had ten men killed and thirty-seven more soldiers wounded. After Antietam, the regiment’s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. THIRTIETH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, Camp Antietam, Md. September 20, 1862.

SIR: In obedience to your order, I have the honor to submit the following report of the action of the Thirtieth Regiment on September 17, 1862:

During the morning we were held under the fire of the enemy's batteries as a reserve corps, and, although under a perfect hail of shot and shell, by carefully covering I have no casualties to report from the effects of the enemy's batteries to this time. Near 4 o'clock in the evening were distant one-half mile, on the slope of a cleared hill facing us, a part of which was planted in corn, and severed to screen both the enemy and ourselves. We moved forward by brigade at double-quick, the Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry on our right, and the Twelfth Ohio Volunteer Infantry on our left, some distance in rear receiving a severe fire from the enemy the moment we moved over the brow of the hill, which continued and increased until we reached the stone wall, distant only 100 yards from the enemy, when we delivered our fire with great precision, and for a time checked the advancing enemy.

Our men were at this time utterly exhausted from the effect of the double-quick step across the plowed field, and their fire was necessarily slow and desultory for several minutes. As soon, however, as our first volley had been given, and our colors erected at the wall, a withering fire was directed upon us from our left flank, and from which we suffered most severely. We continued at the wall until our men had fired from 12 to 15 rounds each, directing their fire to the front and left, when our supports on the right fell back, and that on the left had not yet come to our assistance, leaving both of our flanks exposed and enduring a fire from the front and left. Col. Jones, on the right, gave the order to move by the right flank to join the right wing of the Twenty-third, which was still in position, which order was not heard, except by the four companies on the right (A, F, D and I) which moved in that direction, the remaining companies still occupying their first position at the wall. A few minutes later and the wall. A few minutes later and the enemy's fire from the flank could not be borne, and we fell back across the plowed field and over the brow of the hill.

Capt. Fowler, of Company D, was wounded in the right arm a short distance from the wall, but made his way out. Lieut. Furbay, of Company K, was mortally wounded near the same place by two balls passing through his body, and died on the field. Adjt. Charles Duffield was wounded in the leg, in the corn-field, and, while being borne off, was mortally wounded in the back. Lieut. Wilson, of Company I, was mortally wounded in the neck, and died while borne off. Lieut.-Col. Jones, after giving the order to move by the right flank and afterward to fall back, has not been seen, and must have fallen into the hands of the enemy. Capt. Brown, of Company F, is also missing, and is, no doubt a prisoner. Sergeant White, bearer of the national color, stood amidst the rain of bullets and defiantly waved the color toward the advancing enemy, when he received a shot in the breast and fell dead. Corporal Howerth, of Company D, seized them and bore them off the field. Sergeant Carter, who bore the regimental color, was shot through the head near the edge of the corn-field, and color, was shot through the head near the edge of the corn-field, and Corporal Buchanan, of Company C, bore them off.

Too much praise cannot be given the officers and men for their coolness, courage, and gallant conduct on the field, and, having scarcely recovered from the terrible contest on Hagerstown Heights, they stood up and bravely bore a fire upon their front and left, of which veterans night well be proud.

Before closing, allow me to recommend a change of arms of all the companies except A and B, as the men found great difficulty in loading their pieces after the fifth round, and could scarcely ram their balls home.

A report of the killed, wounded, and missing in both battles has already been given.

With much respect, I am your obedient servant,

GEORGE H. HILDT, Maj., Comdg. Thirtieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Col. HUGH EWING, Commanding First Brigade, Kanawha Division.

Following the Union victory at the Battle of Antietam, the 30th encamped on the battlefield for a few days, before returning to western Virginia. The regiment crossed the Potomac River at Hancock, Maryland on October 10, 1862. The organization briefly returned to Maryland in pursuit of Confederate General James Ewell Brown Stuart’s cavalry but, failing to locate the Southerners, returned to modern-day West Virginia. The 30th marched to Cannelton, where, on November 13, 1862, the regiment entered winter encampment. On November 30, 1862, the organization embarked upon an expedition into Logan County, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), capturing seventeen enemy soldiers and requisitioning seventy-five horses. On December 4, 1862, the 30th marched to Brownstown and boarded transports. The regiment sailed to Louisville, Kentucky and then continued the journey to Helena, Arkansas.

At Helena, officials assigned the 30th to the Second Brigade, Second Division, Fifteenth Army Corps of the Army of the Tennessee. On January 21, 1863, the regiment moved to Young’s Point, Louisiana, where the organization engaged in digging a canal that would allow Union gunboats to sail down the Mississippi River out of range of Confederate batteries at Vicksburg, Mississippi. In March 1863, the 30th advanced to Steele’s Bayou, where the organization helped save some Union gunboats from Confederate forces, before returning to Young’s Point. On April 29, 1863, the regiment joined other units making a demonstration before Haines’s Bluff. On May 2, the 30th advanced to Milliken’s Bend, Louisiana. On May 15, 1863, the regiment arrived at Grand Gulf, Mississippi and began an advance towards Vicksburg. The 30th entered the Union’s siege lines at Mississippi on May 19, 1863, taking up a position in front of the Confederacy’s Fort Beauregard. During the Siege of Vicksburg, which ended with the Union’s occupation of the city on July 4, 1863, the regiment had seven men killed and an additional fifty-four soldiers wounded.

Following the Union's occupation of Vicksburg, officials immediately dispatched the 30th with the remainder of General William T. Sherman's command to Jackson, Mississippi. After a brief siege, Union forces seized Mississippi's capital. On July 23, 1863, the regiment entered camp at the Big Black River in Mississippi. ;On September 26, 1863, the organization departed the Big Black River for Memphis, Tennessee, arriving at this location on October 2. Two days later, the 30th began an advance to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where the Confederacy's Army of Tennessee had besieged the Union's Army of the Cumberland. On November 24, 1863, the regiment entered Chattanooga and joined in the Battle of Missionary Ridge on the next day. The Northerners stormed the Confederate position on the ridge, driving the Southerners from the field and bringing the Siege of Chattanooga to a victorious conclusion for the Union. During the siege, an officer of the regiment issued the following report:

HDQRS. THIRTIETH REGT. OHIO VOLUNTEERS, In the Field, November 28, 1863.

SIR: By order of Gen. J. A. J. Lightburn, we left camp on the evening of the of the 23d November, and marched to the Tennessee River near the Caldwell house, and at about 3 a.m. we crossed the river on pontoon boats, swimming our horses alongside holding their heads to the boats out of water, and, as it was icy cold, and they were forced to remain in it for near thirty minutes, they were so chilled and stiffened that they could scarcely ascend the bank to get out. After landing took position on a beautifully rounded elevation near the river, just south of the mouth of Chickamauga River, and intrenched it. At 2 p.m. started in line of battle for the hills known as Mission Ridge, under cover of a dense mist and fog of the river bottom, and met with no enemy on summit of first hill.

Were then ordered to the main hill immediately in front one we occupied and found the enemy advancing from the opposite side. As it was dark, misty, and foggy, and it not being desirous to bring on a battle so late in the day, we were ordered to hold and intrench the hill we occupied during the night, and worked to the end most of the night, making a fine work by daylight next morning, and one in which we felt perfectly safe, the Thirty-seventh Ohio being on our left flank and rear protecting it.

At about 9 a.m. November 25, Gen. Sherman visited us in position and gave verbal order to Gen. Lightburn to send an officer and 200 men to occupy Tunnel Hill, and I was ordered with six companies of the Thirtieth Ohio and two of the Fourth [West] Virginia, the latter under command of Capt. J. L. Mallernee, to execute the order.

The six companies of the Thirtieth Ohio were at once formed in line of battle just outside of our works, with the Fourth [West] Virginia companies in reserve.

The Thirtieth was started immediately on double-quick, with orders to deploy as skirmishers forward, and to take the first work, the reserve to follow. Scarcely had we moved, when the enemy opened fire with their battery on reserve. As they were still closed and marching by company front they were immediately ordered to deploy also forward, but to be held well in hand, for use on either flank or center, as might be required.

In this order the first work was taken after a sharp fight lasting perhaps ten minutes; we captured a prisoner from a Texas regiment, and running over the captured work we continued on the crest of east end of Tunnel Hill, closing in around it on three sides.

We here found the enemy well posted and protected by good works, and as they commanded us entirely on both flanks, they were closed in upon the center where their fire was less deadly to us, although they shot down at us at an angle of about 40 degrees all day until the grand charge of the army was made in the evening.

We continued to keep up a galling fire upon them from our position, about 50 yards from their works, and kept ourselves busy keeping down their skirmish fire. Owing to the rapidity of our movement and to deployment of line and reserve, as soon as formed outside of our work, and after becoming at home against the spur of east end of Tunnel Hill, our casualties were few.

Two dashes were made upon their work in full force at intervals during the day, only to find force in our front still heavier each charge. We were relieved by First Brigade of our division at dusk after battle, and bivouacked for the night on the intrenched hill we had left in the morning.

On the morning of the 26th were ordered to march for Chickamauga Station with three days' rations at 12 m.

Our regimental loss on the 25th was 7 killed and 32 wounded; of the Fourth [West] Virginia companies 7 wounded-in all 7 killed and 39 wounded.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

GEO. H. HILDT, Lieut. Col. Thirtieth Ohio Volunteers, Comdg. Detachment.

Lieut. J. C. HILL, Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Second Div., 15th Army Corps.

Following the Siege of Chattanooga, the 30th briefly joined the Union's pursuit of the retreating Southerners, before entering camp at Bridgeport, Alabama. On December 29, the regiment encamped at Bellefonte Station, before moving to Cleveland, Tennessee in late January 1864. At Cleveland, many members of the 30th reenlisted in the Union military. The re-enlistees received a thirty-day furlough to their homes in Ohio.

Upon returning to the front in mid-June 1864, the 30th embarked upon Union General William T. Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. The goal of this expedition was for Northern forces to capture the important manufacturing center of Atlanta, Georgia. The 30th fought in many of the largest engagements of the campaign, including the Battles of Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Jonesborough, and Lovejoy’s Station. Union forces occupied Atlanta on September 2, 1864, bringing the campaign to a victorious conclusion for the North. After the Atlanta Campaign, the 30th's commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. THIRTIETH REGT. OHIO VET. VOL. INFANTRY, Camp at East Point, Ga., September 9, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to submit report of the action of the Thirtieth Regt. in campaign from May 21 to the present time:

After our return from veteran furlough, joined brigade at Kingston, at which point we remained in camp one day, and marched on the morning of the 23d for Dallas. May 24, passed through Van Wert. May 25, marched and camped this side of Dallas. May 26, formed line of battle in afternoon and went into Dallas, closely following a few cavalry who acted as rear guard. Gen. Giles A. Smith moved forward soon after, and met the enemy in force a short distance from town. We were ordered to support him just before dark. May 27, skirmished all day and dug rifle-pits all night. May 28, the enemy charged our works to-day at 5 p. m., and were fatally repulsed; their dead and wounded left in front of the, pit in great numbers. Our opponent was Bate's division, of Hardees corps. Our losses were 1 officer and 5 men slightly wounded. May 29, at 10 p. m. a rapid fire aroused us, on our left, in front of Osterhaus, and to his left. It was rapid and determined, and continued with very little intermission until 3 a. m. We lost, killed, during the night, Second Lieut. Thomas K. White, a sergeant promoted, but not mustered. May 30, no change of lines to-day; heavy skirmishing all day; our loss, 2 privates wounded. May 31, moved out of line of works, being relieved by the Fifty-fourth Ohio, and in the evening, with the Eighty-third Indiana and Fifty-seventh Ohio, were formed as a reserve force to support the Fourth Division, on the right, preparatory to the evacuation of the entire line of works.

June 1, moved with entire Army of the Tennessee to relieve Hooker on our left, who, on being relieved, moved still farther to the left, toward the railroad; took our position in skirmish line in front. June 2, were relieved from duty in front by the Forty-seventh Ohio, and fell back in rear to support them; no troops on our right except those of the Army of the Tennessee; all others have gone to the left. June 3, relieved the Thirty-seventh Ohio at the front this a. m. at 4.30 o'clock. June 4, were relieved by Thirty-seventh Ohio at daylight, and took position in rear. June 5, relieved the Thirty-seventh Ohio at the front, and found soon after that the rebels had retreated during the night. Advanced skirmish line to the main line of their works and found a few prisoners and negroes, who stated that the enemy had left at 10 o'clock last night, with five trains of wounded, for Marietta. Commenced following the enemy at 9 a. m., moving around their works, on their right, and camped at 5 p. m. June 6, marched and camped south of the town of Acworth, in position. June 7, remained in position to-day. June 8 and 9, in camp. June 10, marched three miles this morning in direction of Marietta; formed line, and advanced half a mile in line of battle; camped and intrenched ourselves during the night. June 11, remained in position all day. June 12, intrenches. June 13, moved this morning at daylight to the left and front about one mile and a half. June 14, in position. June 15, moved at 2 p. m. toward the left, formed in double column, and remained in full view of the enemy until after dark, when we returned to the posttion formerly occupied. June 16, moved out to support Osterhaus at 10 a.m., and at 11 a. m. five companies, or left wing of regiment, under command of Lieut.-Col. Hildt, were detached to report at Big Shanty Station, relieving a portion of the Eighth Missouri, their term of service having expired. One of Company B had his leg taken off by a rebel shell, and died during the night. Moved a short distance out of range. June 17 and 18, in camp. June 19, rebels gone —-evacuated their works and fell back to the base of mountain. We advanced under a heavy artillery fire to a good position on the last rise of ground this side of the mountain ascent. June 20, weather wet; the left wing joined this evening (was relieved by Second Iowa), and we intrenched ourselves during the night. June 21, still raining; the line of works completed. June 22, in trenches; rebels threw shell very near us from the position on Kenesaw Mountain; has the effect of plunging shot; 110 protection even in the trenches. June 23, in trenches. June 24, skirmish line advanced to-day to near top of mountain. Company E, being on the line, lost 1 man killed and 3 severely wounded. Fell back during the evening to original position. June 25, a few shots from the mountain; the rebels showing themselves a little more plainly. June 26, moved at 8 p.m. to the ground occupied by the Fourteenth Corps, on our right, and camped closed en masse. June 27, moved at 8 a. m. to the south point of Kenesaw Mountain, where we threw out a company of skirmishers and passed over our works and the First Division, occupying theirs toward those of the enemy. Moving, as soon as all were over, by the right flank a short distance, then forward, guide right, to the thicket, across a small stream, met considerable fire, both of artillery and musketry, but the losses were small. Formed line in the thicket, and drove the enemy from a rifle-pit near its edge, capturing a few prisoners. Moved forward again to the crest, at which point we received a heavy fire from their works. We halted and returned it for a few minutes, when the Eighty-third Indiana, on our right, moved back to the thicket, and we fellback to the line of rebel pits, a short distance in advance, bringing Lieut. White, killed, and Lieut. McIntyre, seriously wounded. At this point we were enfiladed by the enemy's artillery. Capt. Chamberlain had his head taken off by a percussion shell, which exploded afterward, taking off both his arms. Capt. E. Warner, wounded in foot, besides a number of non-commissioned officers and men. We again fell back across the run to the edge of the thicket in front of our works, where their fire was more destructive than before, a shot passing through a color-corporal, tearing both arms of the color-sergeant and both legs of another corporal, and pieces wounding men in all parts of the line in the process of being formed. An order was then given to fall back to our line of works by small squads and reform, which was done without any serious loss. An hour afterward an order was received from General Lightburn, commanding brigade, to return to our position in the thicket, which we did without loss, and remained until 9 o'clock, who we were relieved, and returned to the camp left in the morning. A short time before sundown a tremendous artillery fire passed over us both ways from the enemy's batteries and our own, but as few shots were directed at the thicket we suffered but little. June 28, moved to a small stream a short distance in rear of line, and camped to rest. June 29, in camp. June 30, inspection and muster to-day.

July 1, in camp. July 2, marched this morning at 4 a. m. and relieved the Second Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, on right of army, eleven miles from camp. July 3, ordered out at 8 a. m. to support the Fifty-third Ohio, who were feeling for the enemy in our front. Continued skirmishing until 3 o'clock, when we were ordered forward and charged across an open field with brigade, half a mile in extent. We were badly shelled in passing over it, and the proportion of shell wounds was largely in excess of those of musketry. The enemy fell back, taking with them their battery before we could get across a mill-dam, afterwards ascertained to be Ruff's Mill, on Nickajack Creek. Were relieved by a portion of the Sixteenth Corps at 8 p. m., and returned to the camp left in the morning. July 4, moved at 3 p. m. across the creek at Ruff's Mill, and supported the Sixteenth Army Corps, as they made an advance on a line of works; that night we were not under fire. July 5, moved at 8 a. m. back across the creek to our right, on road to Atlanta, about five miles, and rested. Ordered out in the evening one mile in advance of brigade, with De Gress' battery, and camped with the battery in position, guarding it, on eminence from which we could see the steeples of the city of Atlanta, apparently about eight miles distant, situated on a high level plain. A rebel fort in the valley below, one mile and a half distant, near the ford of the river, to which our battery paid their attention. July 6, the battery made some splendid shots to-day; still in camp. July 7, moved with battery to a position below occupied by one attached to Seventeenth Army Corps; they went still farther to the front. July 8, moved to the left in afternoon about two miles and a half, passing Twenty-third Army Corps on our route. July 9, moved at 4 p.m., joined brigade in position at the front. Intrenched ourselves during the night. July 10, ordered to move at a moment's notice. July 11, moved at 11 a. m. about five miles to the right, and camped in the woods. July 12, marched at 4.30 p. m. ten miles. and camped at 11 p. m. three miles from Marietta. July 13, marched again at 2 a. m., passed through Marietta before daylight, and camped for the night at sundown in a fine meadow, near Roswell. July 14, moved at 3 p. m. through the town of Roswell, across the Chattahoochee, to an elevated position and one easily defended, upon the crest of which we are now erecting works of great strength. July 15 and 16, in camp. July 17, moved at 5.30 a. m. about eight miles on the Decatur road, and camped near Stony Creek; met with no opposition from the enemy. July 18, marched at 5 a. m., and taking the Stone Mountain road, we advanced to the railroad near the station and demolished a large portion of the track from the station westward. Returning, camped about five miles from railroad, much jaded. July 19, marched for Decatur, and struck the railroad again on our route and destroyed the track as usual. A small squad of the enemy's cavalry tried to interfere with us, but failed; no losses; camped in the town of Decatur about sundown. July 20, advanced this morning in direction of Atlanta; deployed as skirmishers, with support from brigade; were frequently opposed by what was reported to be Wheeler's cavalry corps, but advanced to within three miles of Atlanta at 12 m., where we found them fortified in our front. July 21, lying in reserve to-day behind our batteries, who managed to keep the rebels quiet. July 22, rebel works on our front evacuated during the night, and we possessed them and employed ourselves leisurely during the morning in changing them. At 1 p. m. a heavy [firing] was heard on the left, and the works were ordered to be put in complete order as rapidly as possible. The firing came gradually nearer, and at 3.30 an attack was made upon us by Hindman's division, of Hardee's corps. They occupied the works on the left of our brigade, and each regiment in succession in our brigade fell back. We being partly sheltered by the brick house on our left, remained some time afterward with the hope to save De Gress' battery, in position on our right, but were compelled finally to leave them in the hands of the enemy, and fall back also to the line of works we left in the morning, where we formed and moved forward to retake the battery, but were compelled to again fall back. Another attempt shortly after was successful, and we occupied the works, with the dead bodies of the enemy strewing the ground in front in great numbers. We lost a number of prisoners. July 23, in camp in trenches. July 24,25, and 26, in camp. July 27, moved this morning at 3.30 a. m. to the right; passed the entire army, and camped on extreme light at 10 p. in. July 28, moved out this morning at 5 a. m. to get into position; met the skirmishers of the enemy two miles from Camp and drove them until 8 a. m., when we took position, as he seemed disposed to attack. A few rails were gathered up and arranged to shield the men, and at 11 a. m. his assault commenced and continued until dark, when he withdrew, leaving us in quiet possession of the field and his great numbers of killed and wounded. During this time four determined assaults were made upon us, all of which were repulsed, with great loss to the enemy. At the first one, the Eighty-third Indiana, on our right, gave way, and we swung the right wing to the rear, giving the enemy a flank fire, which compelled him to withdraw rapidly. The line was then changed to allow the Eighty-third Indiana to give a flank instead of a direct fire, and the line was not again broken during the day. At 4.30 we were relieved by Twelfth Illinois, and took position in reserve; erected rifle-pits during the night. July 29, in trenches. July 30, moved to the front arid relieved the Fifty-second Ohio on skirmish duty in front of Davis' division, Fourteenth Army Corps. July 31, relieved at 8 a. m., and moved inside the works.

August 1, dug rifle-pits along the skirmish line, concluding at 9 p.m., and returned to camp. August 2, moved into rifle-pits at day August 3, advanced skirmishers and occupied rebel rifle-pits in our front at 10 a. m.: but were driven out at 11; advanced again at 4 p. m. held them, and commenced intrenching. August 4, a strong work erected during the night; assigned yesterday to First Brigade, Col. Theodore Jones commanding; moved to-day into trenches occupied by One hundred and eleventh Illinois, in First Brigade. August 5, in trenches. August 6, moved to extreme right of brigade, relieving Twenty-fifth Iowa, of First Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. August 7, moved out to skirmish line to dig rifle-pits at 10 p.m. dark, and brush very thick: were relieved at dawn by Fifty-fifth Illinois, and returned to camp. August 8, in camp. August 9, commenced work on a new line of pits still farther advanced. The position a poor one; can be enfiladed. August 10 moved out and occupied the pits in force, and were enfiladed by the enemy's batteries, but protected ourselves by digging traverses and erecting stockades. Sergeant Engle and a private lost of Company E; were killed instantly by shell striking in the ditch. August 11, in trenches; an alarm on the left at 11 p. m. August 12, in trenches. August 13, skirmishers moved forward, in connection with Osterhaus, on our right, and carried the rebel pits. The Twenty-eighth Alabama deserted to our lines. August 14,15, 16, and 17, in trenches. August 18, made a demonstration, with rapid picket-firing and cheering, from the main works in the morning and another at 4 p.m. August 19, an alarm just after dark, caused by rebel pickets attacking the pioneers at work in front. August 20,21, 22, 23, 24, and 25, in trenches. August 26, marched at 8 p.m., and halted at 5 a. m. for breakfast, having marched all night in direction of Macon railroad. August 27, after breakfast moved on slowly until 3 p. m. went into camp in position and threw up works. August 28, marched at 7 a.m., and at 4 p.m. struck the West Point railroad fifteen miles from Atlanta; camped in position. August 29, in camp; nonveterans mustered out. August 30, marched this morning toward the Macon railroad; commenced skirmishing a short distance from camp. We were in rear of De Gress' battery (H), with One hundred and twenty-seventh Illinois, until 8 p.m., when we were ordered on picket duty in front of division. August 31, rebel pickets firing rapidly this morning. At 12 m. a rebel column of infantry was seen moving to our right directly in our front and within range. The pickets commenced firing into them and continued for three hours, when they formed line of battle and attacked us, beginning on our right, but in a few minutes became general along the line. We fell back to the main line of works, and occupied a vacant place on the left of Second Brigade, between Eighty-third Indiana and Forty-seventh Ohio. In this position we gave the enemy a flank fire as they advanced against the First Brigade, in position on our left, and almost at a right angle with our line. The loss of the enemy here again was quite heavy, ours scarcely nothing; employed the greater part of the night in improving our works, building abatis, &c.

September 1, in trenches. At 5 p. m. an attack was made on the left by the Fourteenth Corps, which extended to our front, by rapid skirmishing, but nothing more. September 2, the enemy gone this morning, and we marched into Jonesborough. Moved down the railroad about five miles and found the enemy occupying an eminence in our front, protecting their train moving from Atlanta. A loud noise, supposed to be an explosion, was heard last night in direction of Atlanta. In reserve to-day. Destroyed the railroad to-night. September 3 and 4, in camp. September 5, occupied a line of works on an eminence in our rear at 2 p.m. Moved again to the rear at 11 p. m., and camped near Jonesborough, behind the works a part of the brigade had occupied during the charge of the enemy August 31. September 6, in camp; formed line at 4 p. m. to repel the enemy, reported to be advancing through town. They did not come within range. September 7, moved at 7 a.m. toward East Point, and occupied a line of works erected by the enemy the night of August 30, at a mill. September 8, moved at 8 a. m. and reached East Point at 11 a. m., camping in line of battle by brigade.

With much respect, I am your obedient servant,

GEO. H. HILDT, Lieut.-Col. Thirtieth Ohio Veteran Vol. Infantry.

Capt. J. T. McAULEY, A. A. A. G., 1st Brig., 2d Div., 15th Army Corps.

Following the Atlanta Campaign, the 30th entered camp at East Point, Georgia, before joining the Union’s pursuit of Confederate General John Bell Hood’s army, which was advancing through northern Georgia, northern Alabama, and southern Tennessee in the direction of Nashville. The regiment soon returned to Atlanta.

On November 15, 1864, the 30th Ohio joined General Sherman's "March to the Sea." The ultimate goal of this campaign was for the Union military to seize Savannah, Georgia. The regiment saw no significant combat until arriving at Savannah. The 30th joined the Union assault on Fort McAllister on December 13, 1864, driving the Southern defenders from the fortification at bayonet point. The Union military occupied Savannah on December 21, 1864, with the regiment entering camp near Fort McAllister.

In January 1865, the 30th Ohio embarked upon General Sherman’s Carolinas Campaign. In South Carolina, the regiment participated in several skirmishes with Confederate forces, especially at the crossing of the North Edisto River. In early March 1865, the regiment entered North Carolina, arriving at Fayetteville in the middle of the month. The 30th participated in the Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina from March 19 to 21, 1865. Following this Union victory, the regiment moved to Goldsboro, North Carolina, before advancing to and entering camp at Raleigh, North Carolina.

Following the surrender of General Joseph Johnston's Confederate army in late April 1865, the 30th marched to Washington, DC, where the organization participated in the Grand Review on May 24, 1865. The regiment proceeded to Louisville, Kentucky, arriving here on June 17, 1865. In late June, the 30th moved to Little Rock, Arkansas, where the organization served as part of the Army of Occupation until August 13, 1865, when officials mustered the 30th out of service. These Ohioans then traveled to Columbus, Ohio, where authorities discharged the men from duty on August 22, 1865, allowing the former soldiers to return to their homes.

During the 30th Ohio's term of service, 128 men, including nine officers, died from wounds received on the battlefield. An additional 149 enlisted men died from disease or accidents.

Related Entries