Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 3rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry

3rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry


In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Cavalry regiments established in Ohio were known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. Regiments formed in Ohio served for varying lengths of time, averaging one hundred days to three years. During September 1861, the 3rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry organized at Monroeville, in Huron County, Ohio, before mustering into service at Camp Worcester. On January 14, 1862, the regiment departed this location for Camp Dennison, near Cincinnati, Ohio, arriving the same day.

In February 1862, the 3rd relocated to Jeffersonville, Indiana, across the Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky. On March 2, officials ordered the regiment to Nashville, Tennessee, with the organization entering camp at this city on March 18. Eleven days later, the 3rd departed Nashville for Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee with the bulk of the Union’s Army of the Ohio. On this march, on April 4, the regiment’s first battalion skirmished with enemy soldiers at Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, killing one man, wounding several others, and also capturing six horses. Two days later, a detachment captured a sizable quantity of bacon at Mount Pleasant, Tennessee. The 3rd arrived at Pittsburg Landing, the site of the Battle of Shiloh (April 6-7, 1862), on April 25.

The 3rd Ohio next participated on the Northern advance against Corinth, Mississippi, routinely skirmishing with enemy forces throughout the Union siege of this city during May 1862. Following the Union’s occupation of Corinth on May 30, 1862, most of the regiment entered camp within the city’s confines except for the first battalion, which moved through the Mississippi communities of Burnsville and Iuka, before rejoining the remainder of the 3rd at Tuscumbia, Alabama on June 19, 1862. The regiment remained at Tuscumbia until June 30. The organization then advanced through Courtland and Decatur to Mooresville, Alabama. On July 9, 1862, the second and third battalions departed Mooresville for Woodville, Alabama. The first battalion conducted expeditions to Madison, Shelbyville, Winchester, and Salem, before reuniting with the other battalions of the 3rd Ohio in early August.

On August 14, the 3rd departed Winchester for McMinnville. On August 29, 1862, the regiment captured Confederate messengers. On September 3, the Ohioans proceeded to Nashville, Tennessee, arriving three days later. The 3rd soon joined the North’s pursuit of Confederate Generals Braxton Bragg and Kirby Smith, who were leading armies into Kentucky. During the march, the regiment’s first battalion operated independently from the other two battalions. The first battalion skirmished with enemy forces at Munfordsville, Kentucky on September 21. The battalion had two men killed and twelve wounded, while killing thirty-eight enemy soldiers and wounding sixty more. After this engagement, the first battalion, serving with the Army of the Ohio, reached Louisville, Kentucky on September 25. The Northern army advanced against Bragg’s Confederates, engaging enemy forces at Bardstown, Kentucky. The first battalion also participated in the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky (October 8, 1862), primarily skirmishing with Bragg’s Confederates along the Kentucky River. The 3rd’s second and third battalions also confronted a portion of Smith’s Confederates at Shelbyville, Kentucky.

The Union victory at the Battle of Perryville prompted the Southern armies to withdraw from Kentucky. The 3rd’s second and third battalions encamped at Danville, Kentucky. Officials detailed a small portion of the regiment to guard couriers. While encamped near Lexington, Kentucky, General John Hunt Morgan’s Confederate cavalry captured these men. The Southerners immediately paroled the Ohioans and sent them to Camp Chase, at Columbus, Ohio, to wait to be exchanged.

The second and third battalions next moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky and then to the vicinity of Gallatin, Tennessee, where General Morgan’s Confederate force was encamped. The 3rd Ohio, including the first, second, and third battalions, attacked the Southerners at this location, forcing Morgan’s soldiers to retreat and capturing much camp equipment and many prisoners. After this engagement, the entire regiment proceeded to Hartsville, Tennessee, entering camp and also guarding numerous fords and bridges across the Cumberland River. Portions of the command also participated on various raids, including one to Carthage, Tennessee that resulted in the Ohioans capturing seventeen prisoners and 146 mules.

In December 1862, the entire 3rd Ohio moved closer to Nashville, Tennessee, where officials assigned the organization to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Corps, Army of the Cumberland. On December 21, the 3rd Ohio, with the 1st and 4th Ohio Cavalry Regiments, moved upon Franklin, Tennessee, to locate and to determine the size of the Confederacy’s Army of Tennessee. The Ohio regiments succeeded in their mission, including driving the town’s Southern garrison from the community. The 3rd next returned to Nashville, before advancing with the Army of the Cumberland to Franklin on December 26. On the following day, the Union army drove the Confederates from Franklin. The 3rd pursued the retreating Southerners to Triune, Tennessee, engaging the Confederates that same evening and also on the following day, prompting the enemy soldiers to withdraw.

The Army of the Cumberland engaged the entire Confederate Army of Tennessee at the Battle of Stones River from December 31, 1862 to January 2, 1863. The 3rd Ohio initially held a position on the extreme right of the Union line and was one of the first units to engage the Southerners on December 31. The Southerners drove the Ohio regiment and most of the Union right back. Only the arrival of reinforcements in the afternoon allowed the Northerners to regain the ground lost in the morning. On January 1, officials ordered the 3rd to escort a wagon train to Nashville for supplies. The Ohio regiment helped other Union forces repulse two separate attacks against the train by Confederate General Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry. After the battle, officers of the 3rd issued the following reports:

HDQRS. THIRD OHIO CAVALRY, In Camp near Murfreesborough, Tenn., January 6, 1863.

COL.: In compliance with instructions received from your headquarters, I have the honor to report, for your information, the part taken by the Third Ohio Cavalry in the several engagements in which the regiment was engaged since leaving Nashville, Tenn., on December 26 last, on which day we proceeded to Franklin, driving the enemy therefrom and taking possession of the town; took some 10 prisoners. Remaining in town some time, we recrossed the river, and marched across the country to Wilson Creek pike, about 14 miles from Nashville, and encamped, arriving in camp at about 10 p. m.

On the 27th, the Third Battalion of the regiment moved toward Franklin, and found that the enemy had in strong force again taken possession of the town; the battalion drove in their pickets under a heavy fire, killing 3 of them. Seeing that the enemy were in such force, the commander deemed it prudent to retire, and rejoined the regiment, which picketed the roads, &c., in the vicinity of its camp.

On the 28th ultimo, proceeded to Triune and encamped, leaving early next morning across the country toward Murfreesborough, proceeding about 5 miles in that direction, when attacked by the enemy's pickets in force, which we drove, skirmishing, they frequently making a stand, which we each time broke, and still drove them about 5 miles.

The 30th ultimo, ordered to proceed to Stone's River; proceeded but a short distance when attacked by the enemy's pickets; the enemy were in force in our front with artillery. We therefore retired, forming on the high ground in our rear to receive them, their pickets, or patrol, advancing, which we repulsed. In the evening our brigade was re-enforced by one battery of artillery and three regiments of infantry, and proceeded in reconnaissance to the left of the enemy's lines, where we found Gen. Hardee's corps d'armee ready, in line of battle, to receive us. We retired, and encamped in the woods, about 2 miles in front of the enemy's lines.

On the morning of the 31st we formed; shortly after the enemy appeared in large force, both on our left, center, and right, evidently endeavoring to cut us off. The brigade of infantry to our left gave way, retreating in confusion through our lines, letting the whole force of the enemy's artillery, cavalry, and infantry fall upon us, which compelled us gradually to retire toward the main body of our army. The regiment covering the entire rear of the brigade, supporting one infantry regiment on our right, drove back, with heavy loss, a large force of cavalry which charged upon us, under cover of a piece of artillery, firing well-directed shells, which passed over us. The enemy being in such force, we had to retire about three-fourths of a mile, when an aide-de-camp of Gen. McCook rode up, informing us that the train close by was Gen. McCook's entire ammunition train, which must be saved at all hazards; on intimation of which the regiment was immediately formed for its protection, holding the enemy in check until the entire train, with the exception of a few disabled wagons that could not be moved, was safely withdrawn. The regiment then moved between the enemy and train as far as the Mufreesborough pike, where we found the enemy making a fierce attack upon Gen. Thomas' train, when we again repulsed them at several points, taking many prisoners and saving that entire portion of the train. The attack of the enemy was furious and desperate, which required the greatest firmness and bravery to resist. Col. Kennett was an eye-witness to the determined bravery of a portion of the regiment rescuing the train from the enemy, which were in force at the hospital on the Murfreesborough pike. The regiment then formed in the field near the hospital, where the brigade soon assembled and reformed, and advanced toward the enemy's left. Soon came up to the enemy's cavalry, supported by artillery, when several other skirmishes ensued during the evening, the enemy's entire object seeming to be to take the train.

On the 1st instant, received orders to proceed to Nashville in charge of train, consisting of some 200 or 300 wagons. When about 2 miles on the Nashville side of La Vergne, we were attacked by Gen. Wheeler's brigade of cavalry, which made several dashes on the train, and were repulsed. They then attacked our rear in force. After a well-contested fight, our regiment put them to flight in disorder, killing 9 of them and wounding several, and arrived in Nashville at 9 p. m. and encamped.

The 2d instant, remained in Nashville and procured forage for our horses, furnishing working party and escort to forage train.

The 3d instant, left Nashville for Murfreesborough in charge of hospital and ammunition trains. Attacked again in force by Wheeler's brigade of cavalry on the Nashville side of La Vergne, which was repulsed with a loss of 15 on their side and some 8 or 9 prisoners taken; among the latter the adjutant of the Third Alabama Cavalry. Two of our non-commissioned officers, I regret to inform you, were severely and dangerously wounded, whom we had to leave in a house on the road-side.

Arrived at camp, near Murfreesborough, at 1 a. m., 4th instant, with the train all safe, with the exception of one wagon of the regiment that was cut off by the enemy, and is now supposed to have returned to Nashville.

On the evening of the 4th, proceeded with brigade toward Murfreesborough as far as Stone's River, and returned to camp.

On the 5th instant, proceeded again with brigade to Murfreesborough, and beyond it about 4 1/2 miles, where we halted, taking several prisoners, and returning to camp about 7 p. m.

I have much pleasure in informing you that the conduct and behavior of both officers, non-commissioned officers, and privates of the regiment have been highly creditable, with not a single instance to the contrary in the regiment.

Inclosed please find list of casualties that have occurred since December 26, 1862, to January 5, 1863.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

D. A. MURRAY, Lieut.-Col. Third Ohio Cavalry, Comdg. Regt.

Col. L. ZAHM, Comdg. Third Cavalry Brigade, First Cavalry Division. __________


SIR: There are a few incidents in the recent series of battles in which we were engaged which, not having fallen immediately under your observation or of the regimental commander, have escaped notice; and being under my immediate command, in justice to the brave officers and men engaged, I deem it my duty to make this special report.

In the severe fighting of Wednesday, the 31st ultimo, which fell so heavily upon your brigade, you will recollect, when we had been forced back as far as Gen. McCook's ammunition train, and were drawn up in front of it for its protection, the furious charge of the enemy's cavalry, preceded by a shower of shells, caused a pretty general stampede of our cavalry, led off my the Second Tennessee on our right, and followed by the Fourth and First Ohio, and the First Battalion of the Third Ohio Cavalry. At that juncture an aide of Gen. McCook came up to me, and informed me that "that was their entire ammunition train, and must be held at all hazards." I gave orders accordingly to the left wing of the Third Ohio Cavalry, under my command, and I am happy to report that they held their position and did not break their lines nor join in that stampede, but received the galling fire of the enemy with the firmness of heroes, and maintained their ground till all the wagons, except a few that were disabled or deserted by the teamsters, had safely reached the lines of our infantry.

The enemy, seeing our determination and bold resistance, turned and left us, and pursued the broken columns of our cavalry that had fled. We then wheeled, and charged upon their rear with terrible effect (scattering their columns in worse confusion, if possible, than they had just routed the balance of our brigade), killing a number of men and horses and taking some 10 or 12 prisoners, and releasing a large number of our brigade that they had captured. We pursued them over to the Murfreesborough pike, Capt. McClelland, commanding Squadrons E and F, taking the right of the pike, and the balance of the command, with myself, taking the left.

When within a short distance of the hospital we again encountered a large force of the enemy coming back to take possession of the train. We at once engaged them, although at least double our numbers, and after a severe struggle put them to flight, with a loss of several killed, wounded, and prisoners. The bravery and daring of Capt.'s Wood and Colver, and their respective commands on this occasion, challenged my admiration. I also learned that Capt. McClelland, with his squadron, engaged the enemy farther up the pike, beyond the hospital, with Col. Kennett and a portion of the Third Kentucky Cavalry, and, after a fierce contest, repulsed them. We then quietly formed in line and awaited the reassembling of the brigade. Then be it spoken to their praise, that the Second and Third Battalions of the Third Ohio Cavalry did not run nor break their lines during that day's severe fighting.

This result is greatly attributable to be coolness and bravery of Capt.'s McClelland, Wood, and Colver, and their lieutenants. It was also this portion of the regiment that repulsed the attack of the enemy on the rear of our train the next day near La Vergne as we were proceeding to Nashville, and brought safely into Nashville two pieces of cannon, three caissons full of ammunition, and a wagon loaded with new carbines and ammunition, which had been abandoned by their cowardly teamsters.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

J. W. PARAMORE, Maj., Cmdg. Left Wing, Third Ohio Cavalry.

Col. L. ZAHM, Cmdg. Second Cavalry Brigade.

Following the Union victory at the Battle of Stones River, the 3rd joined the Northern pursuit of the retreating Southerners as far as Middleton, Tennessee. At this location, the Ohioans captured an enemy supply train, before entering camp near Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Officials soon detached the 3rd’s second battalion, sending the unit to Readyville, Tennessee, where these Ohioans routinely skirmished with Morgan’s Confederate cavalry. The remainder of the command at Murfreesboro also regularly engaged enemy forces, including affairs at the Tennessee communities of Milton, Liberty, Franklin, Auburn, Manchester, and McMinnville.

In late June 1863, the Army of the Cumberland, including the 3rd Ohio, embarked upon the Tullahoma Campaign in southern Tennessee and northern Alabama. The Ohio regiment primarily served on the Union left during this advance, skirmishing daily with enemy cavalry forces from the Confederacy’s Army of Tennessee. In July and August 1863, the Army of the Cumberland advanced to the vicinity of Chattanooga, Tennessee, where officials dispatched the 3rd Ohio on several raids into western North Carolina.

In early September 1863, the 3rd joined the Army of the Cumberland’s advance against the Confederacy’s Army of Tennessee at Chickamauga, Georgia. In the ensuing Battle of Chickamauga, on September 19 and 20, the Ohio regiment began the engagement on the Union left, near Lafayette, Georgia. Enemy forces drove the 3rd from the field and pursued the retreating Northerners to Charleston, Tennessee. The remainder of the Army of the Cumberland withdrew to Chattanooga beginning on the evening of September 20. The Army of the Tennessee pursued the withdrawing Northerners and laid siege to the Union army in Chattanooga. The 3rd avoided the siege, remaining in central Tennessee in pursuit of Wheeler’s Confederate cavalry. The regiment engaged the enemy at McMinnville and Farmington. In this last fight, the Ohio unit had two men killed and twenty-three more captured but completely routed Wheeler’s horsemen.

In November 1863, the 3rd moved to eastern Tennessee, where the organization performed several scouts, including one to Dalton, Georgia, during which enemy forces killed Captain Richard D. Wood. Following the Union victory that ended the Siege of Chattanooga in late November 1863, the 3rd remained in eastern Tennessee, eventually encamping at Pulaski. At this location, many of the command’s members reenlisted in January 1864 and received a thirty-day furlough to their homes in Ohio. Upon returning to the front in March 1864, the regiment passed through Nashville, before entering camp at Columbia, Tennessee, where the Ohioans guarded the railroad between Nashville and Huntsville, Alabama.

In May 1864, the 3rd joined an advance into Georgia and then into Alabama. The Ohio regiment engaged Confederate forces at Courtland, Alabama, routing the enemy. The same Southerners surprised the 3rd at Moulton, Alabama, but the Northerners rallied and drove the Confederates from the field. The regiment then joined Union General William T. Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign and participated in battles at Etowah, Kennesaw Mountain, Noonday Creek, McAfee Bridge, Chattahoochie River, Peachtree Creek, Jonesborough, and Lovejoy’s Station. The 3rd also destroyed a number of factories at Roswell, Georgia and participated in a raid to the rear of Atlanta, where the regiment destroyed a portion of the railroad from Atlanta to West Point, Georgia. After the Atlanta Campaign, an officer of the 3rd issued the following report:

HDQRS. THIRD OHIO VETERAN VOLUNTEER CAV., Near Cross Keys, Ga., September 11, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of Third Ohio Veteran Volunteer Cavalry during the campaign just closed:

The regiment left Columbia, Tenn., on the 22d day of May, 1864, and proceeded to Decatur, Ala., where we arrived on the 26th, and were sent out same day in pursuit of a portion of Gen. Roddey's command (rebel), and skirmished with them, driving them six miles, their wagon train being captured by another portion of the brigade. May 27, proceeded to Courtland, skirmishing slightly in the advance along the route. 28th, marched through Moulton, toward Somerville, and camped three miles beyond, and were attacked in our camp at 4 a. m., 29th, by Confederate force under Gen. Roddey. After an hour and a half of fighting we drove them, aiding to capture 2 held officers, 4 line officers, and a number of enlisted men. The enemy retired to Moulton, leaving 11 killed on the field. Our loss, 1 killed and 2 wounded. Same day marched forty miles, Camping ten miles southeast from Somerville, in the rear of the Seventeenth Corps, with which we marched to Rome, Ga., where we arrived on the 4th day of June. From there we proceeded to join the division (Second Cavalry), which we did on the 7th of June, near Etowah, Ga. Marched to the left of the army near Noonday Creek, and on the 11th the regiment was sent on a reconnaissance to Noonday Creek, and had an engagement with Iverson's brigade of cavalry, being repulsed with a loss of 14 killed, wounded, and missing. We fought again on the 15th, without gaining any advantage and with no loss. On the 23d advanced across Noonday Creek; had a skirmish with the enemy, and returned with loss of 2 wounded. No other operations until the 3d of July, when we advanced, following the enemy on their retreat from Kenesaw Mountain. The 4th of July skirmished most of the day; loss, 1 man killed. The 14th of July the regiment left camp near Roswell, and marched to Cumming, Ga., where we arrived at 4 a. m. the 13th, but found no enemy in force; captured a large amount of tobacco and a number of horses and mules, and returned to camp same day. The 16th crossed the Chattahoochee River at McAfee's Bridge, and went into camp one mile and a half from it. 19th, marched to the Georgia Railroad, near Stone Mountain, Ga., and assisted in destroying the road for several miles, and returned to Camp. 21st, marched to Yellow River; next day to Covington, Ga., on the Georgia Railroad, fifty miles east of Atlanta, where we destroyed the road for a distance of ten miles; met no enemy in force. 23d and 24th, returned to Decatur, having destroyed a large amount of cotton, captured a number of prisoners, contrabands, horses, and mules. 27th, left camp and marched to Flat Rock, where the division was attacked on the 28th by a superior force and nearly surrounded. The enemy was repulsed, and we returned to Latimar's Corners, where we remained two days, then marched around Stone Mountain to the rear of our army in front of Atlanta.

On the 18th of August started, under command of Gen. Kilpatrick, for the expedition to the rear of Atlanta. Left Sandtown at sundown on the 18th, and marched all night, skirmishing most of the time. 19th, fought all day and got possession of the Macon railroad at Jonesborough, at 4 p. m. burnt the public buildings and destroyed the railroad for a distance of two miles. Left Jonesborough at 3 a. m. of the 20th, and marched to Lovejoy's Station, having a brisk skirmish in the rear on the route. At Lovejoy's met the enemy in large force, cavalry, artillery, and infantry. After fighting an hour we formed in advance of brigade and charged in column of fours on the enemy in our rear, scattering them badly, and Causing them to abandon one piece of artillery, which was brought off the field by our brigade (Second Cavalry); also captured a number of prisoners. The regiment was detailed for rear guard, the column marching toward McDonough, and was attacked by one division of rebel infantry. After fighting them an hour, losing 8 men killed, 30 wounded, and 4 missing, was relieved by a portion of the First Brigade, Second Cavalry Division. 21st, marched to Lithuania, being closely followed by the enemy until we crossed South River, where we burned the bridge, thus stopping their advance. 22d, returned to camp at Buck Head, and remained until the 25th, when we left camp and marched to Vining's Station and bivouacked. 26th, matched to a point on the Chattahoochee River opposite Sandtown. 27th, marched a short distance to the left of the army; regiment placed on picket had a slight skirmish on the 28th; no loss; relieved at 2.30 p. m. by battalion of mounted infantry. Remained in camp until the 30th. At 3 p. m. left camp and marched to the La Grange railroad, and camped five miles from East Point and ten from Jonesborough.

September 1, marched to Macon railroad, at Rough and Ready, eleven miles from Atlanta. The regiment was sent out reconnoitering, and went five miles in direction of McDonough, but found no large body of the enemy's troops. September 4, moved camp to Mount Zion Church, on the left of the army, where we remained until the 7th, when we came to our present camp, near Cross Keys, Ga., where we arrived September 10, 1864.

The aggregate loss during the campaign is as follows: Killed, or died of wounds received in action, 1 commissioned officer, 20 men wounded, 1 field officer, 60 men; missing in action, 2 commissioned officers, 20 men; total loss, 4 commissioned officers, 100 men.

Total number of miles traveled during the campaign, 1,021.

Believing the above to be essentially correct, I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

C. B. SEIDEL, Col., Comdg. Third Ohio Veteran Volunteer Cavalry.

ASSISTANT ADJUTANT-GEN., Military Division of the Mississippi.

Following the Union’s capture of Atlanta on September 2, 1864, the 3rd entered camp at Decatur, Georgia. The organization soon joined the Army of the Cumberland’s pursuit of Confederate General John Bell Hood’s army, which was advancing through northern Georgia, northern Alabama, and Tennessee towards Nashville. The regiment participated in the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee (November 30, 1864) and the Battle of Nashville (December 15-16, 1864). After the Northern victory at Nashville, the 3rd joined the Union pursuit of the retreating Southerners into northern Alabama.

The 3rd Ohio next joined a raid into Georgia and Alabama, engaging enemy forces at Selma and Montgomery, Alabama and at Macon and Griffin, Georgia. After this campaign, the regiment entered camp at Macon, Georgia. The organization's commanding officer issued the following reports regarding the advance:


MAJ.: I have the honor to make the following report of operations on the 1st and 2d instant:

On the 1st the regiment marched forty-six miles, but took no part in the engagement. On the 2d instant marched inn advance of division toward this place, skirmishing occasionally with the enemy's rear guard until within sight of his works, when two battalions (the Third Battalion having been sent to the right of the road) were deployed as skirmishers (mounted), but did not advance until the first line of the enemy's works was captured, when they were ordered to charge the second line of works on the enemy's left in rear of the Fourth U. S. Cavalry, which was repulsed. The regiment was then dismounted and marched into town, meeting with but slight resistance, capturing about forty prisoners and several horses and mules. The casualties were six men wounded, none dangerously. The Third Battalion (sent to the right) found the enemy in force, and after a skirmish was forced to return bay circuitous route (to avoid being captured) to the main road and follow the column. The loss sustained was 2 men wounded, 1 commissioned officer (Lieut. D. C. Lewis, Company M), and 7 enlisted men captured. Total loss of regiment, 8 men wounded, 1 commissioned officer and 7 men captured.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

D. E. LIVERMORE, Maj., Cmdg. Third Ohio Volunteer Cavalry.

Maj. ROBERT BURNS, Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Second Brig., Second Div., Cav. Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi.

HDQRS. THIRD OHIO CAVALRY, Macon, Ga., April 30, 1865 [Maj. ROBERT BURNS, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.: ]

MAJ.: I have the honor to forward herewith the battle-flag of the Twelfth Mississippi Cavalry, C. S. Army, which was captured with the commanding officer of the regiment, Maj. Cox, on the 15th instant, about six miles from Tuskegee, Ala., by John H. Shoef, private, Company H, Third Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. He is very desirous of retaining it if he can be allowed to do so.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

D. E. LIVERMORE, Maj., Cmdg. Regt.

Upon the Civil War’s conclusion in April 1865, the 3rd remained at Macon until early August 1865, when officials ordered the command to Camp Chase at Columbus, Ohio. At this location, military authorities discharged the 3rd’s men, ending their service and allowing the former soldiers to return home.

During the 3rd Ohio's term of service, fifty-nine men, including one officer, died from wounds received on the battlefield. An additional 235 men, including six officers, died from disease or accidents.

Related Entries