Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 55th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

55th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry


In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Infantry regiments formed in Ohio became known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. They served for varying lengths of time, averaging one hundred days to three years. The 55th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry mustered into service as a three-year organization at Norwalk, Ohio on October 17, 1861.

On January 25, 1862, the 55th departed Norwalk for Grafton, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia). The regiment remained at Grafton for a short period of time, before moving to New Creek in modern-day West Virginia. While at New Creek, the command participated in an excursion to Romney and another one to Moorefield, where the 55th engaged in a small skirmish with Confederate forces. On February 19, 1862, the regiment returned to Grafton, where a measles outbreak killed approximately twenty men. On March 31, 1862, the command moved to Moorefield, encamping a few miles from the town at a ferry across the Potomac River.

In late April 1862, seven companies of the 55th Regiment moved via Petersburg and Franklin to McDowell, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), while the remaining companies (D, E, and G) remained at Moorefield. In the Battle of McDowell (May 8, 1862), Confederate General Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson advanced upon the Union garrison at this town. Despite greatly outnumbering the Northerners, the Southerners did not attack. The Federal soldiers went on the offensive, assaulting the Rebels. The 55th’s companies saw no combat in this engagement, as officials held the units in reserve. The night of May 8, the Union soldiers withdrew to Franklin and skirmished with Confederate forces for approximately ten days.

On May 26, 1862, the Union command, including a reunited 55th, departed Franklin for Strasburg, Virginia. The Northerners engaged General Richard Ewell’s Confederates at the Battle of Cross Keys on June 8, 1862. The 55th saw no combat in this engagement, as the organization remained in the reserve. Although the Confederates suffered fewer casualties, the Southerners withdrew the evening after the battle. The 55th joined the Union’s pursuit of the withdrawing Confederates, but the destruction of the bridge over the Shenandoah River at Port Republic, Virginia impeded the Northern advance.

On June 20, 1862, the 55th entered camp at Middletown, Virginia. At this location, the 55th joined the Army of Virginia, and officials brigaded the regiment with the 25th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 73rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and the 75th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The Army of Virginia was in pursuit of the Confederacy’s Army of Northern Virginia, which had bested the Union’s Army of the Potomac in the Peninsula Campaign and was now advancing northward through Virginia towards Maryland. On July 7, 1862, the 55th joined the pursuit, leaving Middletown and marching through the Virginia communities of Front Royal, Luray, and Sperryville, where the command remained in camp for approximately one month. On August 8, 1862, the regiment advanced towards Culpepper Court House, Virginia and entered camp along Robertson’s River near the Rapidan River on August 14. Five days later, the Army of Virginia withdrew northwards, with the 55th serving as a portion of the army’s rearguard.

Upon crossing the Rappahannock River, officials ordered the 55th to guard several fords. On August 25, 1862, the regiment advanced to Centerville, Virginia, before moving forward three days later as skirmishers to Manassas, Virginia. The Battle of Bull Run II erupted that day at Manassas on the same ground as Bull Run I the previous year. On August 29, the 55th remained under enemy artillery fire but did not engage in combat with enemy forces of the battlefield. On the engagement’s final day, officials placed the regiment in support of an artillery battery. Late in the afternoon, a Confederate force appeared on the 55th’s flank. The regiment engaged the enemy for the duration of the afternoon and early evening hours. That night, the Union’s Army of Virginia withdrew to Centerville.

Following the North’s defeat at Bull Run II, officials dissolved the Army of Virginia and incorporated its units with the Army of the Potomac, which had arrived at Washington, DC from Virginia. Most of the Army of the Potomac pursued the Confederacy’s Army of Northern Virginia, which had launched an invasion of Maryland. The 55th, however, remained in the vicinity of Washington, DC, defending the nation’s capital from a possible attack. Following the Union victory at the Battle of Antietam (September 17, 1862), the Confederacy’s Army of Northern Virginia withdrew from Maryland into Virginia. On September 22, 1862, the 55th returned to Centerville and entered camp. In early October, the regiment participated in an excursion to Bristoe Station and Brentville, Virginia in search of Confederate troops. Finding none, the organization returned to Centerville. Upon returning to this town, officials dispatched the regiment with additional Union troops to Catlett’s Station, Virginia, where the Northerners had a small skirmish with a Confederate detachment. The 55th returned to Centerville and entered camp.

On November 2, 1862, the 55th Ohio proceeded to Hopewell, Virginia, passing through Manassas. The regiment remained at this location until November 20, 1862, when the organization proceeded to Chantilly, Virginia. On December 10, 1862, the 55th marched for Stafford Court House, Virginia, arriving one week later. Three days later, the regiment advanced to Belle Plain Landing, Virginia, to assist General Ambrose Burnside’s and the Army of the Potomac’s advance against Fredericksburg, Virginia. This assault, known as the “Mud March,” failed due to heavy rain and thick mud. After this debacle, officials ordered the 55th to enter winter encampment at Brook’s Station, Virginia.

On April 27, 1863, the 55th left Brook’s Station and joined the Army of the Potomac’s advance upon Chancellorsville, Virginia. The regiment arrived at Chancellorsville three days later and participated in the Battle of Chancellorsville from April 30 to May 6, 1863. The 55th began the battle on the Union's extreme right, seeing limited combat during the engagement's first three days. On the evening of May 2, the Confederates turned the Union's right flank, driving the Northerners, including the 55th Regiment, from the field. During the night of May 2, the Union soldiers established a new line, which the men held until withdrawing from the battlefield on the night of May 5 and the morning of May 6, 1863. In this Union defeat, the 55th had 153 men killed, wounded, or missing. After Chancellorsville, the regiment's commanding officer issued the following report:


SIR: I have the honor to report of following as the operations of this regiment in the movement over the Rappahannock, just concluded:

On leaving Brooke's Station there were 2 field officers, 4 staff officers, 23 officers of the line, 99 non-commissioned officers, and 343 enlisted men.

The second night was spent in the crossing at Kelly's Ford, and, with the heave load, served to fatigue the command; yet the march of the next day was cheerfully made. To cross the Rapidan and picket the front of the division prevented sleep after 1 a. m. on Wednesday night.

The march of the 30th was readily accomplished, and on the two following nights sleep was allowed. On Friday, day and night, and on Saturday afternoon, owing to the attack being made in the rear and to the right of the picket line, the picket company was cut off, and 31 of the company fell into the hands of the enemy.

During Saturday, the 2d instant, the regiment was posted in a rifle-pit on the south side of the old Turnpike road, on the right of the Second and on the left of the First Brigade. This old Turnpike road ran straight in the prolongation of the rifle-pit in which the regiment was posted at least 100 rods, with heavy timber on each side. Open ground was in front of the rifle-pit so far as it was occupied by our regiment.

At about 6 p.m. a heavy discharge of musketry on our right and rear announced the approach of the attacking column. Almost simultaneously, from artillery posted in the old Turnpike road on the right, and within short range, the enemy delivered an enfilading fire of grape and canister upon the men in the rifle-pit. There was no enemy in front, direct or oblique, but the firing clearly told him to be in the rear and but little to the right.

Every officer and man remained at his post, including Lieut.-Col. Gambee, who was with the line at the pit.

At this juncture, I hastily rode to Gen. Devens and yourself, reported the condition of affairs, and requested leave to change front. The general commanding the division answered, "Not yet," and I hastily returned to the regiment. Soon discovering that a part, if not all, of the First Brigade had confusedly given way, I again reported to yourself and Gen. Devens that additional fact. Without receiving any orders whatever, I again rapidly returned to my command. A storm of fire from both the artillery and musketry was falling upon the helpless line, which yet was without an enemy upon whom to fire.

My horse, receiving a wound, dashed furiously with me toward the enemy's advancing left, carrying me beyond possibility of directing the movements of the battalion, partially for the time disabling me, and escaping to the rear.

That gallant regiment, the Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteers Infantry, having deployed and presented a front to the advancing attack, with its left resting near the road, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Bambee, the companies successively from the right withdrew from the rifle-pit and formed line in rear of the Twenty-fifth, where the fighting was maintained until both the regiments were swept from their position by the overwhelming force of the attack. As a regiment it could not again rally.

As Capt. Sauter, who was on the right, moved his command across the road, he fell, mortally wounded. Maj. Stevens, Capt. Robinson, and Lieut. Osborn and Gould are in the enemy's hands, all severely wounded, except Maj. Stevens, of whom but little is known. Lieut. Morse is slightly wounded, but on duty again.

The report of killed, wounded, and missing, herewith transmitted, will show the casualties.* Those not known to be killed or wounded are reported missing.

The attack being evidently a surprise, and the battalion being held in a useless position under a murderous fire, until, without any orders, it was withdrawn, as above stated, and the immense mass of fugitives passing by and through it, conspired to dishearten and scatter the men, so as to prevent any further stand being made.

The behavior on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday in position was highly commendable, no accident occurring save the loss of Private [George W.] Boyd, Company F, by the fire of one of the enemy's sharpshooters. Every order was promptly obeyed and the labors of the expedition most cheerfully endured.

Allow me to insist that when the Eleventh Corps is charged with cowardice on the 2d instant, as is common, the Second Brigade, First Division, should not be inclined. The men did and will fight when they have opportunity, but a rifle-pit is useless when the enemy is on the same side and in rear of your line.


JOHN C. LEE, Col. Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteers.

Brig. Gen. N. C. McLEAN.

Following the Battle of Chancellorsville, the 55th returned to its old campgrounds at Brook's Station, where, in mid-May 1863, officials assigned the organization to the Second Brigade, Second Division of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment joined the army's pursuit of the Confederacy's Army of Northern Virginia, which launched an invasion of northern Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania in the early summer months of 1863. This campaign resulted in the Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania (July 1-3, 1863). In this engagement, the 55th originally was positioned on Cemetery Hill but soon took up a position along the Baltimore Pike for the battle's duration. Most of the regiment saw limited combat in this fight, although the organization's pickets remained under constant fire. By the end of the engagement, the 55th had lost approximately fifty men killed or wounded.

Following the Confederacy's defeat at the Battle of Gettysburg, the 55th Ohio joined the Union pursuit of the retreating Southerners, finally entering camp at Catlett's Station, Virginia on July 25, 1863. On September 30, 1863, officials ordered the regiment to Bridgeport, Alabama to join the Army of the Cumberland. Currently, this army was besieged by the Confederacy's Army of Tennessee in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The 55th advanced to the Tennessee River in the Lookout Valley on October 28, 1863. Confederate forces attacked the Union forces in the valley, resulting in the Battle of Wauhatchie (October 28-29, 1863). The Southerners withdrew in this Union victory. On November 22, 1863, the 55th entered Chattanooga. At the Battle of Missionary Ridge (November 25, 1863), the regiment drove in Confederate pickets at the base of the ridge, before taking up a position on the Union's left flank. In this position, the organization saw no real combat for the remainder of the battle. This Northern victory ended the Confederacy's siege of Chattanooga, bringing the Chattanooga Campaign to a successful conclusion for the Union.

Following the Chattanooga Campaign, officials quickly dispatched the 55th Ohio to Knoxville, Tennessee to aid this city's besieged Union garrison. Northern forces successfully lifted the siege in early December 1863, prompting the 55th to return to Chattanooga on December 17, 1863. After this expedition, the 55th's commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. FIFTY-FIFTH REGT. OHIO VOL. INFANTRY. Lookout Valley, Tennessee, December 18, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to make this my report of the part taken by the Fifty-fifth Regt. Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the late battle of Chattanooga, and the campaign for the last twenty-six days:

On the afternoon of November 22, we broke camp and marched to Chattanooga with 16 officers and 280 enlisted men carrying guns. At 1 p.m. of November 23, I received orders to put the regiment under arms. The Eleventh Corps were massed near Fort Wood; a short time afterward they were marched to the left of the line of battle, the Second Brigade, Second Division, being directly on the left of the Third Division. The Fifty-fifth Regt. were deployed in line of battle with two companies as skirmishers, covering their whole front. The One hundred and thirty-sixth New York was on the right and the First Brigade, Second Division, on the left. The order being given to advance, the regiment moved forward with spirit and determination. The skirmish line, when passing through a narrow belt of woods, came in contact with the enemy, and the first salutation received was a volley of musketry, which, however, did not impeded the forward movement of the regiment one particle. Passing through the woods we came to an open field, over which the regiment charged at a double-quick under a heavy fire from the front and flank, and did not half until commanded to do so and ordered to take position behind a railroad embankment. The skirmish line drove the enemy into their breastworks. During the night four companies were on the skirmish line.

On the 24th, brisk firing was kept up on the skirmish line, but every officer and man remained at his post.

On the afternoon of the 25th we marched to the left of Gen. Sherman.

On the morning of the 26th, we marched in pursuit of Gen. Bragg and his defeated army. When near Chickamauga Station, I was ordered to march the regiment on the Tyner Station road, and take position at a place designated, in order to protect the left flank of the Eleventh Corps while passing said road. The regiment captured a first lieutenant and 5 men before rejoining the corps.

On the 27th, they participated in the raid on the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad at Red Clay Station.

On the 29th, we marched to Cleveland.

On the 30th, we had the advance to Charleston. The regiment charged into the town, crossed the Hiwassee River in pontoon boats, and captured 4 cars loaded with flour, corn meal, salt, &c.

December 1, we marched in the direction of Knoxville. We arrived at Louisville, Tennessee, December 5.

December 7, we marched back in the direction of Chattanooga and returned to our camp at this place on the 17th instant.

I am happy to say that the conduct of both officers and men during the battle and the severe campaign just closed is creditable.

Inclosed you will find a list of the casualties.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

C. B. GAMBEE, Col. Fifty-fifth Regt. Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Capt. B. F. STONE. Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

On January 1, 1864, 319 of the regiment's men reenlisted for a second three-year term of service. For this new commitment, the re-enlistees received a thirty-day furlough to their homes in Ohio. The men departed Chattanooga on January 10, 1864 and returned to the city on March 4, 1864. Upon the men's return, officials assigned the 55th Ohio to the Third Brigade, Third Division, twentieth Corps of the Army of the Cumberland.

On May 2, 1864, the 55th Ohio embarked upon Union General William T. Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. The goal of this expedition was for Northern forces to capture the important manufacturing center of Atlanta, Georgia. The regiment fought in many of the largest engagements of the campaign, including the Battles of Resaca, Cassville, Dallas, New Hope Church, Marietta, Kennesaw Mountain, Peachtree Creek, and Atlanta. The regiment's loss was especially heavy at Resaca on May 15, where the organization had ninety men killed or wounded. The 55th began the campaign with approximately four hundred men available for duty. With the Union's seizure of Atlanta on September 2, 1864, the regiment had just two hundred men available for duty. After the campaign, the 55th's commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. FIFTY-FIFTH REGT. OHIO VOL. INFANTRY, Atlanta, Ga., September 24, 1864.

CAPT.: Pursuant to circular from headquarters Third Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth Corps, September 22, 1864, I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of this regiment since May 2, 1864, when the same entered the city of Atlanta:

Having received orders May 1, 1864, to be ready to march at daylight on the following morning, the regiment struck tents at 4 a. m. of May 2, and, with the brigade, marched at about 7 a. m. toward Chattanooga, Tenn. Passing Lookout Mountain its direction was southeasterly, passing through Mission Ridge at Rossville, toward Dalton; continued marching in the direction of Tunnel Hill until reaching Woods' Store, which point it reached on the 7th of May. On the 8th it marched to near Buzzard Roost, where a detachment of two Companies, B and D, drove the enemy from and occupied a hill in front of the enemy's position. After dark the regiment returned to camp at Woods' Store. May 9, the regiment again proceeded to Buzzard Roost and occupied the hill taken the previous day. Several casualties occurred in the regiment on this and the previous day. On the morning of May 11 the regiment marched in the direction of Snake Creek Gap. May 12, passed the gap and encamped at Sugar Valley. On the 13th moved on the enemy, taking position at night near the main line of the enemy, where it remained until the morning of the 15th, at which time the regiment, with the brigade, moved to the extreme left of the army, where at 2 p. m. of that day, a charge was made upon enemy's position. The casualties in this regiment were very heavy. Among the killed were Col. C. B. Gambee, Maj. R. Robbins, and Capt. A. E. Peck. May 16, the enemy having disappeared in our front, the regiment marched in pursuit, coming up with him on the 19th at Cassville, Ga., when skirmishing ensued, in which the regiment participated. The regiment was engaged in no action thereafter until May 25, at which time, at New Hope Church, a severe contest ensued, in which other regiments of the brigade lost heavily. Owing to the position held by this regiment upon that occasion it sustained slight loss. From May 25 until the enemy fell back from Kenesaw Mountain this regiment was almost constantly under his fire. On the 20th day of duly it participated in the battle of Peach Tree Creek, where it suffered severely, losing between 20 and 30 men. On the morning of July 22 the regiment moved with the brigade and formed a part of the besieging force which confronted the enemy around Atlanta, where it remained until August 25, at which time it withdrew from in front of Atlanta and marched to Turner's Ferry, on the Chattahoochee River, where it remained until September 2, 1864, at which time a detachment of the regiment, with others, entered the city of Atlanta, the balance of the regiment joining the detachment on September 4, 1864.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

E. H. POWERS, Lieut.-Col. Fifty-fifth Ohio Vol. Infantry, Comdg.

Capt. C. H. YOUNG, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.

Following the Atlanta Campaign, the 55th entered camp in the city. The regiment participated in several foraging expeditions during this time. The organization also received two hundred drafted men and substitutes, but the soldiers who chose to not reenlist also departed the 55th for their homes in Ohio.

On November 15, 1864, the 55th embarked upon General William T. Sherman's "March to the Sea." The command engaged in no noteworthy battles or skirmishes on this march to Savannah, Georgia, but upon reaching this city in mid-December 1864, the regiment joined the Union's siege. The siege ended in a Union victory on December 21, 1864, and the 55th Regiment entered Savannah that day. After the Union's occupation of Savannah, the 55th's commanding officer issued the following reports:

HDQRS. FIFTY-FIFTH REGT. OHIO VOL. INFTY., Savannah, Ga., December 24, 1864.

CAPT.: I have the honor to report that this regiment entered the city of Atlanta, Ga., on the 2d day of September, 1864, and having been stationed behind the defenses of that city on the southeast, remained there until the 15th day of November following. While stationed at Atlanta the regiment (at least such portion of it as was then bearing arms) went with the brigade to which it belongs on a foraging expedition to the east of Decatur, and returned on the fourth day thereafter. During its absence from the city on the aforesaid expedition the regiment subsisted upon the country, obtaining about 1,400 pounds of meat of various kinds and about 20 bushels of sweet potatoes, together with vegetables of other kinds, in amount which I am unable to estimate. Of forage obtained by this regiment alone it is impossible to say what was the amount. On the second day of the expedition this regiment, together with the Seventy-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry(in charge of which I was placed), went to the vicinity of Lithonia, where they filled about 60 wagons with corn, making about 900 bushels (averaging the loads at fifteen bushels each).

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

E. H. POWERS, Lieut. Col. Fifty-fifth Ohio Vol. Infantry, Cmdg.

Capt. C. H. YOUNG, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.

HDQRS. FIFTY-FIFTH REGT. OHIO VOL. INFTY., Savannah, Ga., December 24, 1864.


On the 15th day of November, 1864, this regiment started (with the brigade to which it is attached) on the campaign through Georgia. Arrived at Social Circle on the 18th, where it destroyed about a quarter of a mile of railroad track. On the following day arrived at Madison, where it destroyed about ten roads of track and burned a building containing about fifty bales of cotton. Arrived at Milledgeville, Ga., November 22, where it remained until November 24; then marched in the direction of Savannah via Louisville and Millen. Arrived outside the defenses of Savannah on the 10th day of December, 1864, where it remained building and occupying breast-works until December 21, when (the city having been evacuated) it went into camp about three-quarter of a mile northwest of the city of Savannah, Ga.

During the recent march this regiment obtained from the country, upon estimation, as follows: Meat (of various kind), 11,900 pounds; flour, 1,000 pounds; sweet potatoes, 300 bushels; corn meal, 500 pounds, besides other vegetables of various kinds of which I have no data upon which to estimate the amounts. The regiment (aside from two companies which were detached with the train) captured-mules, 8; cattle, 10. From the companies detached at the train were detailed men whose special duties were to make captures of horses and mules, and the result of their labors in that direction will probably be obtained from Lieut. Tabor, brigade acting assistant quartermaster, under whose direction they operated.

The casualties in the regiment during the march from Atlanta were three men missing.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

E. H. POWERS, Lieut. Col. Fifty-fifth Ohio Vol. Infantry, Cmdg.

Capt. C. H. YOUNG, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.

The 55th remained in Savannah until early January 1865, when the regiment crossed the Savannah River and, a few days later, advanced to Hardeesville, South Carolina. On January 29, 1865, the organization joined General Sherman's Carolinas Campaign. The first major combat that the 55th engaged in occurred on March 16, 1865 at the Battle of Smith's Farm. In this engagement, the regiment lost thirty-six men killed or wounded. At the Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina (March 19-21, 1865), the organization had two men killed, twenty-four soldiers wounded, and seven enlisted men missing. On March 24, 1865, the 55th entered Goldsboro, North Carolina and, on April 13, 1865, occupied Raleigh, North Carolina. During the Carolinas Campaign, the 55th's commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. FIFTY-FIFTH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, Near Goldsborough, N. C., March 26, 1865.

CAPT.: Pursuant to circular of the 26th instant I have the honor to submit the following detail of operations, &c., of this regiment from January 16 to March 24, 1865, inclusive:

The regiment marched from Saint Mary's, Beaufort District, S. C., to Hardeeville, S. C., January 16, 1865, where it remained in camp until January 29, when it marched toward Robertsville, reaching that place on the 30th, where it remained in camp until the morning of the 2d of February, when the regiment marched to near Lawtonville, S. C., where it bivouacked for the night.

On the morning of the 3d resumed the march toward Graham's Turnout, on the South Carolina Railroad, at which place it arrived on the evening of the 7th of March, having marched via Duck Branch and Allendale. Having struck the railroad at Graham's Turnout, the regiment was engaged destroying railroad between that point and White Pond until the morning of the 11th, when it left the railroad at Williston and marched in the direction of Columbia, S. C., crossing the Edisto River on the 12th and the North Edisto on the 13th of February; arrived at opposite Columbia February 16. On the 17th the regiment marched in the direction of Winnsborough, at which place it arrived on the 21st, having crossed the Saluda River on the 18th and the Broad River on the 20th. Marched to Rocky Mount, on the Catawba River, on the 22d, which river it crossed at 1 a.m. of the 23d. Resumed the march on the following morning, and arrived at Hanging Rock, S. C., on the 26th. Continued the march from Hanging Rock on the 28th in the direction of Chesterfield Court-House, arriving at that place on the 3d of March.

On the 4th, marched to Sneedsborough, N. C., and to Cheraw, S. C., the 6th, at which place crossed the Great Pedee River. On the morning of the 7th resumed the march toward Fayetteville, N. C., where it arrived on the morning of the 11th, remaining in camp until the 13th, when the regiment crossed the Cape Fear River and camped for the night six miles northeast of Fayetteville. On the 14th this regiment, with the brigade, made a reconnaissance to Black River, where the enemy were encountered, when seven companies of this regiment were deployed as skirmishers, and engaged the enemy for about twenty minutes, losing 1 man killed and 1 wounded, after which the regiment was withdrawn and returned to camp. On the following day resumed the march in the direction of Goldsborough. Meeting the enemy on the 16th at Smith's farm, this regiment was engaged during the greater portion of the afternoon, losing in killed 4; wounded, 32. On the 19th this regiment was again engaged with the enemy near Mill Creek, N. C., losing in killed 3; wounded, 24; captured, 1.

On the 22d resumed the march toward Goldsborough, N. C., at which place it arrived on the 24th instant.

This command during the campaign has destroyed by burning about 600 bales of cotton, and foraged from the country about 4,000 pounds of meal, 2,000 pounds of flour, 200 bushels of potatoes, 8,000 pounds of meats of all kinds, 500 bushels of corn, and 125 animals, including those taken by Company K of this regiment, now detached at corps headquarters.

Accompanying this report is a list of casualties in this regiment since January 16, 1865.

E. H. POWERS, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Fifty-fifth Ohio Vol. Infty.

Capt. H. G. H. TARR, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.

With the surrender of the South's last army in late April 1865, the 55th departed Raleigh for Washington, DC, on April 30, 1865, arriving at the nation's capital on May 18, 1865. The regiment participated in the Grand Review on May 24, 1865, before departing for Louisville, Kentucky on June 10, 1865. The organization traveled on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to Parkersburg, West Virginia and then boarded steamers to travel the rest of the way on the Ohio River. At Louisville, the 55th mustered out of service on July 11, 1865, before traveling to Cleveland, Ohio, where authorities discharged the regiment's members on July 19, 1865.

During the Civil War's course, 143 men, including seven officers, from the 55th Ohio died from wounds received on the battlefield. An additional 119 enlisted men succumbed to illness or accidents.

Related Entries