Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 89th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

89th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

1862 -1865

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Infantry regiments formed in Ohio became known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Soldiers of Ohio infantry regiments served the Union for varying lengths of time, ranging from one hundred days to three years. One of the three-year regiments was the 89th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Men from Clermont, Highland and Ross Counties formed the 89th Regiment in 1862. Brown County, Ohio resident Colonel John G. Marshall served as the organization’s first commanding officer.

The 89th Regiment formally mustered into service at Camp Dennison, near Cincinnati, Ohio, on August 1, 1862. Officials immediately dispatched the organization across the Ohio River into northern Kentucky to help other Union troops defend Ohio’s southern border from an anticipated Confederate attack. The so-called Siege of Cincinnati did not materialize, and officials sent the 89th to Point Pleasant, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), with the regiment arriving at this new location on October 5, 1862. The 89th joined the 37th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and the 8th Regiment Virginia Infantry in the defense of northwestern Virginia from Confederate attack. In early November 1862, these Union forces participated in an expedition along the Kanawha River to drive Southern forces from the region, but the Northern organizations found no hostile soldiers.

Following this advance, the 89th entered camp at the base of Cotton Mountain. After two weeks of rest, the organization scaled the peak and proceeded to Fayetteville Court House in western Virginia (modern-day West Virginia). The 89th Regiment entered winter encampment at Fayetteville Court House. The Northerners suffered mightily during the winter, with many men contracting camp fever and other ailments.

In early January 1863, the 89th Regiment proceeded to Nashville, Tennessee to serve as reinforcements for General William Rosecrans’s Army of the Cumberland. Under Rosecrans’s direction, the soldiers departed Nashville for Fort Donelson, near Dover, Tennessee to help reinforce the 83rd Regiment Illinois Infantry. Confederate forces under the command of Nathan Bedford Forrest had nearly surrounded the 83rd. The Ohioans arrived in time to save Fort Donelson for the Union.

Following this expedition, the 89th returned to the vicinity of Nashville, encamping at Murfreesboro, Tennessee on February 9, 1863. The organization remained at this location for just two weeks. While at Murfreesboro, measles and influenza rampaged through the unit’s members, resulting in several deaths. Major J.D. White also assumed command of the organization upon the resignation of Colonel Marshall.

On February 22, 1863, the 89th departed Murfreesboro for Nashville. At Nashville, the regiment joined the 11th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 36th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 92nd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and the 18th Kentucky Infantry Regiment in Crook’s Division of the Army of the Cumberland. The new division quickly departed Nashville, arriving at Carthage, Tennessee on February 25, 1863. The 89th spent the next several months performing garrison duty and also conducted periodic expeditions against Confederate guerrillas operating in north central Tennessee.

On June 5, 1863, the 89th departed Carthage and headed to Murfreesboro to rejoin the remainder of the Army of the Cumberland. On June 24, 1863, the regiment departed Murfreesboro and participated in the Tullahoma Campaign, with Northern forces hoping to drive Confederate units from southern Tennessee and northern Alabama. Following this successful expedition, the 89th, primarily served on garrison duty in southeastern Tennessee in the vicinity of Chattanooga. During July, August, and early September 1863, the 89th spent brief periods of time at the Chattanooga, Dechard Station, Tracy City, Cowen Station, Nicojack Cave, and Bridgeport—all in Tennessee, and at Rossville, Georgia.

Shortly after arriving at Rossville, the 89th joined the Army of the Cumberland’s advance on Chickamauga, Georgia, where the Battle of Chickamauga erupted on September 19 and 20, 1863. Confederate General Braxton Bragg’s Army of Tennessee attacked the Union’s Army of the Cumberland on September 19. On the next day, the two sides resumed the engagement, with the Northern army retreating from the battlefield the night of September 20. In this fight, the 89th Ohio suffered greatly. At the battle’s conclusion, the regiment only had seventy-five healthy and unharmed men available duty. An additional forty men were recovering wounds, while twenty more soldiers suffered from various illnesses in Union hospitals.

Following the Battle of Chickamauga, the 89th’s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. 89TH REGT. OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, Chattanooga, Tenn., September 28, 1863. SIR: I have the honor to transmit my official report of the action of the Eighty-ninth Regt. Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the battle of the 19th and 20th of September, 1863.

The regiment at the time of the battle was brigade with the Twenty-second Regt. Michigan Volunteers, in Steedman's division, of the Reserve Corps. The regiment left camp at Rossville, Ga., early on the morning of the 19th, and were in the battle on Chickamauga Creek, where 9 of the regiment were wounded.

The regiment remained on picket at that place the night of the 19th, and moved to re-enforce troops on the right about 10 a. m.

About 2 p. m. of the 20th, they became engaged in a most terrific musketry fight, which lasted over an hour, during which time they drove the enemy from their position on a hill, and held the place. A short time before dark they became engaged again and fought superior numbers until after dark, when their ammunition gave out and they were surrounded and captured.

The casualties in the regiment are, as far as can be ascertained, as follows:

Officers killed, 2; wounded, 2; missing, 13. Enlisted men killed, 17; wounded, 61; missing, 158.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

I. C. NELSON, Capt., Comdg. Eighty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Lieut. J. R. BOONE, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., First Brigade.

The 89th’s survivors joined the Northern retreat to Chattanooga, where authorities combined these men with the 92nd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The 89th’s members refused to serve with and as the 92nd, and Union officials quickly reestablished the 89th Regiment. Unfortunately for the Northern forces at Chattanooga, Bragg’s Confederates besieged the Union army at Chattanooga for the remainder of September, October, and November 1863. For most of this time, the 89th’s members survived on half rations, but despite the organization’s perilous situation, the regiment grew to more than two hundred members.

In late November 1863, the arrival of Northern reinforcements under the command of General Ulysses S. Grant permitted the union to finally end the Confederate siege of Chattanooga. The 89th participated in the Battle of Missionary Ridge—the final engagement of the siege—on November 25, 1863. In this engagement, Northern forces drove Bragg’s Confederates from the ridge, thus ending the siege. The Southerners retreated into northern Georgia, but the Union army offered only a brief pursuit.

Following the Battle of Chattanooga, the 89th’s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. EIGHTY-NINTH REGT. OHIO INFANTRY, Chattanooga, Tennessee, December 2, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to forward my report, in accordance with circular issued from brigade headquarters requiring a report of the operations of the regiment during the past week, and also a list of the killed, wounded, and missing.

Monday morning, November 23, 1863, I received orders for the detail of 100 men and 2 commissioned officers, for fatigue duty, to report at brigade headquarters at 7 a. m. Order complied with. Detail relieved at 2 p. m. same day. Regt. ordered to report immediately at brigade headquarters, with two days' rations and 100 rounds of ammunition; order complied with, and were ordered to join our brigade at the front. Joined the brigade at 3.30 p. m. took position in front of Fort Negley. Lay in that position until 11 o'clock Wednesday morning, November 25, 1863, when we were moved with brigade to the left of Forts Palmer and Wood. We rested there until 2 o'clock, then moved a short distance to the right, then changed direction, and moved directly to the front until we arrived at a narrow piece of woods-which lay between us and the enemy-which partly hid us from their view. Here we halted and preparations were made for an assault on the enemy-s works. The regiment was consolidated with the Eighty-second Indiana during the fight. We were ordered to advance at 3.30 p. m. The regiment was formed in closed column by division. We charged the enemy's works, drove them from their position, passing through a terrific fire from the enemy's batteries, of which they had two, that were playing directly upon us. Their infantry were in two lines of intrenchments. We drove them from them, and gained the heights just at sunset. The men and officers of the regiment did good fighting; showed great courage and gallantry. We met seven pieces of artillery, which were captured and sent to the rear. We rested on the ridge until after dark, then moved with brigade to west side of the ridge. Bivouacked for the night.

Thursday a. m., November 26, went with brigade on a reconnaissance east of Missionary Ridge. Returned with brigade to ridge. Went with it to Ringgold. Lay at Ringgold with brigade until Sunday, November 29. Returned in afternoon of same day to Chattanooga, Tennessee, in charge of prisoners.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

J. H. JOLLY, Capt., Comdg. Eighty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Capt. W. B. CURTIS, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

The 89th remained at Chattanooga for the next two months. In February 1864, the organization participated in an expedition against Bragg’s army near Dalton, Georgia. On February 25, 1864, the 89th engaged a portion of Bragg’s command at Rocky Face Ridge. The Ohio regiment had two men killed and ten wounded in this unsuccessful assault. Following this brief campaign, the 89th returned to the vicinity of Chattanooga and entered winter encampment.

In early May 1864, the Army of the Cumberland, including the 89th Ohio, embarked upon General William Tecumseh Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign. The goal of Sherman’s expedition was for the Union to capture the important city of Atlanta, Georgia. During the campaign, the 89th participated in no major battles but did fight numerous smaller engagements.

During the Atlanta Campaign, the 89th’s commanding officers issued the following reports:

HDQRS. EIGHTY-NINTH REGT. OHIO INFANTRY, Near Atlanta, Ga. August 16, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by the Eighty-ninth Regt. Ohio Infantry in the present campaign, from the 7th day of May, 1864, to the 1st day of June, 1864, during which time the regiment was under my command:

The Eighty-ninth Regt. Ohio Infantry marched from Ringgold, Ga., on the 7th of May, 1864, and bivouacked near Tunnel Hill, Ga., for the night. Resumed the march on the day following, shifting to the right near one mile; halted, stacked arms, and rested for the night. On the 9th we moved about the same distance to the right, stacked arms, and rested till evening, when orders were given to march to the front; which done, we bivouacked for the night; slight skirmishing was heard on our front. Our position was not changed until the 12th, when we moved for Snake Creek Gap, passed through it at dark, and bivouacked for the night. On the 13th we marched all day, and got into position at 8 p. m. to the left and near Resaca, Ga. here we lay on our arms during the night. We changed position on the 14th; moved to the front; threw out skirmishers, who engaged and drove the enemy's skirmishers a short distance. Our line was halted, the right of the Twenty-third Army Corps passing to our front, engaging the enemy from 12 m. till dark, during which time we lay in support of their right, under fire, but not engaged; lay on arms during the night. We were relieved on the 15th, and moved a short distance to the right; halted and rested till the 16th. The enemy having evacuated during the night, we moved in pursuit toward Resaca, near which we bivouacked for the night. We resumed our march on the 17th, taking the railroad toward Atlanta; passed through Calhoun in the afternoon, moving beyond toward Adairsville five miles; halted and rested for the night. Took up our line of march on the 18th, passing through the village of Adairsvilie, following the Atlanta railroad till 10 p. m. stacked arms and spent the balance of the night in sleep. Marched at 9 a. m. on the 19th for Kingston, Ga. passed through town at noon and formed line of battle; no enemy appearing, we crossed the creek in our front, moving upon the hill south a short distance; formed line of battle, threw out skirmishers, and, after two hours' delay, recalled them; moved by the left flank toward Cassville, where firing was heard, with slight skirmishing in front. We halted, put out skirmishers, and threw up temporary breast-works, where we remained during the night and until the 23d. We then marched for a ford of the Etowah River, which we waded; by 2 p. m. all were over and on our march. We halted at 9 p. m. and bivouacked for the night. At 10 o'clock on the 24th we moved to the right a couple of miles, halted an hour, countermarched, the same road a short distance and went into camp, where we remained till the morning of the 26th. We then moved at 7.30 a. m., and moved south six miles and halted on Pumpkin Vine Creek; after an hour's rest we moved as train guards back toward Kingston; crossed Euharlee Creek at Euharlee Mills; continuing our march, crossed the Etowah River at the bridge; we halted and bivouacked for the night, where we remained till the train arrived from Kingston, going front at 7 o'clock on the 27th; we returned with it, recrossing the Etowah and Euharlee Creek at the same points; after marching twelve miles we halted and bivouacked for the night near Pumpkin Vine Creek. On the morning of the 28th we moved for Burnt Hickory, which we reached at noon. After resting an hour, we moved toward Dallas and camped for the night in a little valley two miles from Burnt Hickory. On the 29th we received orders to march with our division. We moved eastward several miles, halting on a high hill. After resting a short time we moved back, taking position northwest of our train, throwing out pickets, and went into camp, where we remained till June 1, when Col. Carlton, of the Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry, relieved me of its (Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry) command.

J. H. JOLLY, Maj. Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry.

Capt. W. B. CURTIS, Asst. Adjt. Gen., 1st Brig., 3d Div., 14th Army Corps.


SIR: I have the honor to transmit the following report of the movements of the Eighty-ninth Ohio from June 1 to August 6, 1864:

June 1, the regiment formed part of the guard for the department ammunition train. June 2, moved about two miles on the road to Pumpkin Vine Creek; bivouacked for the night. 3d, moved about two miles; crossed Pumpkin Vine Creek and bivouacked. June 5, moved about three miles; bivouacked near Burnt Church. June 7, moved eastward; cross railroad; pass through Acworth; bivouacked one and a half miles south of Acworth. June 10, regiment and brigade relieved from train guard; moved five miles on Marietta road; join our division. June 11, moved one mile to the left; bivouacked at midnight. June 12, move one-half mile to the left; halt in reserve line; heavy skirmishing in front; bivouacked for night. June 17, moved to the left toward Kenesaw; throw up works. June 18, advanced within a few hundred yards of the rebel works, having moved three-fourths of a mile; put up works. June 19, enemy having evacuated in the night, we move forward one and a half miles; bivouacked in second line for the night near Kenesaw. June 20, regiment on skirmish line; heavy firing all day. June 21, relieved from skirmish line and take position in first line of works. June 22, moved at dark short distance to the right; took up position in second line of works. June 26, moved at dark one and a half miles to the right; bivouacked for the night. June 27, moved to the right three-fourths of a mile from line, and rest on arms; enemy shelling furiously; bivouacked for the night. June 30, moved at dark to the right and front one-half mile, and relieve a portion of Gen. Hooker's troops; bivouacked behind the works.

July 2, greater part of the regiment went on skirmish line. July 3, rebels evacuated Kenesaw in the night; we moved toward Marietta, striking the Atlanta and Marietta road to the right of that place; bivouacked for the night, having marched some five miles. July 4, advanced one-half mile; bivouacked in line. July 5, marched some five miles and bivouacked on the railroad near Chattahoochee River. July 6, threw up works. July 9, advanced our line one-half mile and threw up works. July 11, enemy having evacuated their works and crossed the river in the night, we moved to the left one mile and camped on the Atlanta road near Pace's Ferry, relieving a regiment of the Fourth Corps. July 17, cross the river on pontoons; moved three-fourths of a mile and bivouacked for the night. July 18, moved forward two miles and bivouacked. July 19, moved forward, passing the First Division; halt near Peach Tree Creek; about 6 p. m. I received orders to cross Peach Tree Creek with my regiment, to be supported by the Eighty-second Indiana. We moved down to the creek and, finding a ford, moved over; formed along the bank; deployed, moving forward on the double-quick, driving the rebel skirmishers before us; threw up slight works and remained on the skirmish line during the night. July 21, moved forward one-half mile and bivouacked in second line. July 22, enemy having fallen back to their works around Atlanta, we moved forward to within some three miles of the city and threw up works in the third line. July 23, the regiment was ordered to move to the left to the support of Gen. King's brigade, of the First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps; moved over and built works; at dark moved back to our position in the brigade. July 25, relieved a portion of the Twenty-third Missouri in front line of works.

August 3, moved to the right about four miles, crossing Utoy Creek, taking position about 10 p. m. worked all night on breastworks. August 4, went out on reconnaissance, covering (in conjunction with Twenty-third Missouri and Eighty-second Indiana) the flank of the Second Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Army Corps; moved forward about one mile, and at dark returned to our works. August 5, moved short distance to the left and front; threw up line of works on the front line, connecting the Ninety-second Ohio and right of Gen. Hascall's division, Twenty-third Corps.

The casualties in the regiment from May 7 to August 6, 1864, are-Killed, 2 enlisted men; wounded, 1 lieutenant and 12 enlisted men.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

C. H. CARLTON, Col. Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry.

Capt. W. B. CURTIS, Asst. Adjt. Gen., 1st Brig., 3d Div., 14th Army Corps.

HDQRS. EIGHTY-NINTH OHIO INFANTRY, Near Atlanta, Ga., September 8, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to transmit the following report of the part taken in the campaign by the Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry from the 7th of August to the 8th of September, 1864:

August 7, the regiment was lying in front line of works near Utoy Creek. After dark regiment moved forward about 150 yards and threw up works. 8th, were relieved and moved back to our former works. 11th, moved to the right about one and a half miles and relieved Tenth Illinois, of Gen. Davis' division. 19th, moved out on Sandtown road at 2 a. m. as a support for Twenty-third Army Corps; at dark returned to our former position. 20th, moved to the right two and a half miles at 3 a. m. to protect the right flank of our line; at dark moved back to our former position. 27th, moved to the right three and a half miles and bivouacked for the night. 28th, moved forward and crossed the Montgomery railroad and bivouacked for the night about a half mile from the road. 30th, marched at 6.30 a. m. halted for the night and threw up works near the Jonesborough road, about seven miles front that place. 31st, moved forward three-fourths of a mile; built works. About 12 m. moved forward one mile; threw up a second line of works. Having halted a short time the regiment moved forward with orders to go to the railroad if possible. The skirmish line of the regiment reached the railroad, meeting with but slight resistance from the enemy. The telegraph wire was cut by corps signal officer. Being two miles from support and appearances indicating that the enemy were moving to our left and rear, the skirmish line was withdrawn. They had barely reached the reserve when orders were received to hold the railroad, and the line was advanced a second time. The Seventy-fifth Indiana having joined as a support before we reached the railroad, the Eighty-second Indiana and Thirty-first Ohio arrived and the four regiments took possession of the railroad and threw up works during the night.

September 1, assisted in destroying the railroad. Moved back and joined our brigade at 11 a. m. and moved to the right about three miles. A portion of our division being warmly engaged with the enemy, we moved forward at a double-quick and took up a position under fire. The force engaged having taken the enemy's works held them; we threw up slight works and bivouacked for the night. 2d, enemy having evacuated the town in the night, we moved a short distance toward Jonesborough and threw up a line of works facing north. At dark we moved one mile to the east and south of Jonesborough, threw up works, and bivouacked for the night. 6th, moved toward Atlanta and bivouacked for the night about two miles from Jonesborough. 7th, moved north and bivouacked for the night about two miles north of Rough and Ready. 8th, moved to White Hall and went into camp about two miles from Atlanta.

The following number of casualties occurred in the regiment from 7th August to September 8, 1864: Wounded, 1 commissioned officer and 7 enlisted men.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

C. H. CARLTON, Col. Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry.

Capt. W. B. CURTIS, Asst. Adjt. Gen., 1st Brig., 3d Div., 14th Army Corps.

After the Union captured Atlanta on September 2, 1864, the 89th Regiment enjoyed a brief respite, but officials quickly dispatched the organization in pursuit of Confederate John Bell Hood’s army that was advancing through northern Georgia, northern Alabama, and southern Tennessee towards Nashville. The regiment soon returned to Atlanta, where it joined William T. Sherman’s “March to the Sea” in mid-November 1864. Sherman intended to capture the city of Savannah, Georgia during this advance. The 89th participated in several engagements during this campaign including battles at Waynesboro, Georgia and at Milledgeville, Georgia. The regiment was present at Savannah’s capture by Union forces on December 21, 1864.

After nearly two months of rest at Savannah, the 89th next participated in Sherman’s Carolinas Campaign. In this expedition, the Northern force sought to destroy Confederate General Joseph Johnston’s army. The 89th participated in the Battles of Averysboro and Bentonville and also helped capture Raleigh, North Carolina for the Union. The regiment was present at Johnston’s surrender on April 27, 1865.

During the Carolinas Campaign, the 89th’s commanding officer issued the following report:


SIR: I have the honor to report that in obedience to orders regiment left Savannah, Ga., on the 20th day of January, moved north to Cherokee Hills, where we remained four days. On the 25 of January we again moved in same direction, encamping the evening of the 26th at Springfield. Moved two miles on the 27th. Arrived at Sister's Ferry on the 28th about forty miles from Savannah, where we remained until the 5th day of February.

On the 5th of February crossed the Savannah River into the State of South Carolina, over corduroy and swamp, five miles. On the 6th made four miles to Roberstville; small place burned. Make Brighton on 7th, moving only five miles. 8th, moving on Augusta road, made thirteen miles. 9th, made nineteen miles; encamped at Barnwell; considerable town; good country. 11th, made twelve miles on While Pond road. 12th, struck the railroad near Aiken about noon; spent the remainder of day in destroying road. 13th, moved twelve miles; encamped on banks of Edisto. 14th, made seventeen miles to the North Edisto, 15th, made twenty miles; encamped ten miles of Columbia. 16th, made eight miles. 17th, crossed Saluda; made fourteen miles. 18th, on banks of Broad River. 19th, crossed river to Alston; twelve miles. 20th, moved eight miles on road to Winnsborough. 21st, passed through Winnsborough, moving north on railroad, destroying it as we go. 22d, encamped near Black Stocks. 23d, near the crossing of Catawba River. 24th and 25th, in camp awaiting the construction of bridge. 26th, moved two miles. 27th, crossed river after night; remainder of night spent in repairing road and pulling wagons out of mud. 28th, moved three miles west of Catawba.

March 1, moved ten miles to Cedar Creek. 2d, making sixteen miles on Chesterfield road. 3d, to Mill Creek, fourteen miles. 4th, on road to Yadkin River, making fifteen miles. 5th, on banks of Yadkin; made seven miles. 6th, in camp again waiting for Geiger. 7th, crossed Yadkin and moved two miles. 8th, marched twenty-two miles to the Little Pedee. 9th, marched twenty miles in directions of Fayetteville. March 10, moved five miles; enemy reported in front. 11th, moved into Fayetteville skirmishing on the road with the Ninety-second Ohio, who were the first organized troops in town. 12th, 13th, and 14th, remained in camp at Fayetteville on provost duty. 15th, crossed the Cape Fear River at 10 o'clock at night; moved out two miles. 16th, marched eight miles on Raleigh road. 17th, on Goldsborough road; moved six miles to South River. 18th, marched but four miles. 19th, marched twelve miles to Great Cohera. 20th, moved out at daylight on quick time; marched twelve miles and camp up with the advance of the Fourteenth and Twentieth Corps which had been fighting yesterday; in afternoon we moved up to front; skirmished with the enemy a few hours; had one private severely wounded and one lieutenant slightly; at dark we fell back inside of works and rested quietly. 21st, no movement. 22d, moving on road to Goldsborough. Enemy evacuated their works. We marched ten miles. 23d, marched twelve miles; arrived at Goldsborough at 2 o'clock; entered town in columns of companies in presence of Gen.'s Sherman, Schofield, Slocum, and other. Have marched 450 miles with very slight loss and come out with better transportation than we started.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant;

WILL. H. GLENN, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Regt.

Col. M. C. HUNTER, First Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Army Corps.

The 89th Regiment departed Raleigh on April 30, 1865 and arrived at Richmond, Virginia on May 7, 1865. After three days of rest, the 89th proceeded to Washington, DC, where the organization participated in the Grand Review of Sherman’s army. The 89th remained in the vicinity of the nation’s capital for the next two weeks. On June 7, 1865, officials mustered the members of the 89th from service.

Finally, after two years and nine months of service, the 89th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry returned to Ohio on June 13, 1865. Upon the regiment’s arrival home, authorities discharged its members from service, allowing the ex-soldiers to return to their homes and families.

During the 89th Regiment Ohio Voluntary Infantry's service, fifty men died from wounds, including three officers. An additional 250 men died from disease or other causes, including five officers.

Related Entries