December 1, 1864
On December 1, 1864, the U.S. War Department issued General Orders, No. 293, announcing that the Department of the Susquehanna was becoming the Department of Pennsylvania.
General Orders, No. 293
War Department, Adjutant General's Office
Washington, December 1, 1864
The Department of the Susquehanna will hereafter be known as the Department of Pennsylvania, headquarters at Philadelphia.
By order of the Secretary of War:
E. D. TOWNSEND,