Ohio Civil War » Objects » Entries » Kanawha Valley Campaign

Kanawha Valley Campaign

September 6–16, 1862

In September 1862, Major General William Wing Loring led a successful campaign that briefly reestablished Confederate control of the Kanawha Valley and western Virginia after occupying Charleston, Virginia (now West Virginia).

During the summer of 1861, Union and Confederate forces struggled for control of western Virginia. The area was of considerable importance because gaps in the Appalachian Mountains connected the East to the Midwest. The Virginia Militia acted quickly, disrupting traffic on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and taking control of turnpikes through the mountains. Federal officials countered by sending 20,000 troops into the area under the command of Major General George B. McClellan. McClellan's forces pressed the Confederate troops in the area throughout the summer and fall. Following the Union victory at the Battle of Rich Mountain (July 11, 1861), Federal troops marched into Charleston two weeks later on July 25. Subsequent Union successes at the the Battle of Carnifex Ferry (September 10, 1861), and the the Battle of Cheat Mountain (September 12–15, 1861) cemented Federal control of the Kanawha River Valley and western Virginia.

On August 11, 1862, Union officials transferred Brigadier General Jacob D. Cox and roughly 5,000 soldiers from his Kanawha Division to eastern Virginia as part of the troop buildup for the Northern Virginia Campaign (July 19–September 1, 1862). Cox's departure left the Kanawha Valley dangerously under-defended.

Prompted by rumors of Cox's departure, on August 22, 1862, Confederate Major General William Wing Loring, commanding Department of Southwestern Virginia, ordered Brigadier General Albert Jenkins to lead a cavalry raid into the Kanawha Valley, south of Charleston. Upon his return, Jenkins confirmed reports that the Union garrison protecting the valley had recently been cut in half, from 10,000 to 5,000 soldiers, commanded by Colonel Joseph A. J. Lightburn.

Sensing an opportunity to restore Confederate control of the valley and vitally important salt works in the area, Loring led about 5,000 Confederate soldiers northwest from Narrows, Virginia, on September 6, 1862, toward the Kanawha River. Four days and roughly seventy-five miles later, Loring's troops engaged the Federals and drove them away from Fayetteville, Virginia, on September 10. Throughout the next two days (September 11–12, 1862), the two sides engaged in several skirmishes as the Rebels continued to drive the Yankees north.

On September 13, Loring's campaign reached its zenith as his soldiers recaptured Charleston, following a spirited artillery engagement. As Loring's soldiers marched into Charleston that afternoon, Lightburn's men and supply train were retreating northward, intent on getting across the Ohio River.

The next day, Loring reported to Confederate Secretary of War George Randolph that "besides inflicting a great loss in men, we have captured immense amounts of wagons and horses, inventories of which we are now taking, and which will doubtless amount to at least $1,000,000." After pausing in Charleston long enough to enable his supply train to catch up with his soldiers, Loring continued in hot pursuit of the retreating Federals.

Accompanied by liberated slaves and townspeople, Lightburn's soldiers traveled fifty miles northward for the next three days, struggling to protect a 700-wagon supply train, while skirmishing with the Rebels to their rear. On September 16, 1862, they crossed the Ohio River at Ravenswood, Virginia (now West Virginia) and Loring called off the chase.

Loring's hugely successful campaign, which drove the Yankees out of western Virginia, cost him only 97 casualties (eight killed and 89 wounded). Lightburn suffered 310 casualties (25 killed, 95 wounded, and 190 missing/captured), but officials credited him with saving a huge supply train valued in excess of one million dollars.

Loring's triumph was short lived. While occupying Charleston, he became embroiled in disagreements with Virginia state officials. He also vacillated between maintaining control of the Kanawha Valley and complying with Robert E. Lee's request for support as the Army of Northern Virginia retreated from Maryland following the Battle of Antietam (September 17, 1862). As a result, on October 15, 1862, Confederate officials relieved Loring from his command.

Loring's replacement, General John Echols, was unable to halt the reoccupation of the valley by an overwhelming Federal force led by Brigadier General Jacob D. Cox, who had returned to the area. By November, the Yankees regained control of the Kanawha Valley and western Virginia.

Related Entries