Ohio’s American Civil War soldiers and civilians sought to commemorate the troopers’ devotion to and service with the United States by constructing monuments and other memorials.
During the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.
Ohio’s soldiers and civilians sought to commemorate the troopers’ devotion to and service with the United States by constructing monuments and other memorials. Ohioans completed the first of these commemorations during the Civil War, with hundreds more being built after the conflict. Ohioans have built at least 295 monuments to commemorate Civil War veterans, civilians, political leaders, and war-related events in the state. Eighty-six of the state’s eighty-eight counties contain Civil War monuments, with Hamilton County, Lucas County, Lorain County, Brown County, and Franklin County each boasting ten or more memorials each. Only Clinton County and Noble County do not contain Civil War monuments.
In 1907, the Ladies Monumental Society, in conjunction with the Women’s Relief Corps, the C.A. Eddy Grand Army of the Republic Post, Post Number 558, and local residents raised funds to construct a monument in honor of Windsor Township’s Civil War soldiers and sailors. Designed by the Monumental Bronze Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut, the memorial stands eighteen feet tall, including the six-foot tall statue of a soldier at parade rest that tops the monument. The entire memorial is constructed of zinc. The monument is engraved with an eagle, depictions of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, the emblem of the Women’s Relief Corps, and a plaque dedicated to the C.A. Eddy Grand Army of the Republic Post, Post Number 558. The monument is also inscribed with the following words: “Dedicated to the/Soldiers and Sailors of Windsor Township. Erected 1907 by the Ladies Monumental Society and Loyal Citizens.”
Today, the monument remains in good condition. The memorial is located at the Noble Road Cemetery, north of Windsor, Ohio, in Ashtabula County.