Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 121st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

121st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry


In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Infantry regiments formed in Ohio became known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. They served for varying lengths of time, averaging one hundred days to three years. In September 1862, the 121st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry mustered into service at Camp Delaware, at Delaware, Ohio. The men in the regiment were to serve three years and consisted primarily of enlistees from Delaware, Knox, Union, Hardin, Logan, and Morrow Counties, Ohio.

On September 10, 1862, the 121st traveled to Cincinnati, Ohio, where the regiment performed guard duty for five days, when the organization crossed the Ohio River and garrisoned Covington, Kentucky. The regiment was to aid in Cincinnati, Ohio's defense against Confederate General Kirby Smith's army that Northern authorities believed was advancing on the city. On September 20, 1862, the 121st advanced to Louisville, Kentucky, where the unit joined General Ambrose Burnside's Army of the Ohio. The regiment participated in the Army of the Ohio's pursuit of Confederate Braxton Bragg's army, which was currently operating in Kentucky. Due to limited training, the 121st performed poorly at the Union victory at the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky (October 8, 1862). Instead of joining the Northern pursuit of the retreating Confederates, the regiment buried the dead on the battlefield at Perryville and remained in Kentucky primarily as garrison troops and occasionally searching for Confederate General John Hunt Morgan's cavalry until January 1863.

In late January 1863, the 121st departed Louisville for Nashville, Tennessee. The regiment then advanced to Franklin, Tennessee, where the organization protected the right flank of the Union army headquartered at Murfreesboro, Tennessee. In June 1863, the unit embarked upon the Tullahoma Campaign, serving as part of the Reserve Corps. Upon reaching Triune, the 121st engaged Nathan Bedford Forrest's Confederate cavalry, driving the Southerners from the battlefield. Beginning on July 3, 1863, the regiment garrisoned Shelbyville, Tennessee for three weeks. In late August 1863, the organization occupied Fayetteville, Tennessee. The regiment was twenty-five miles away from the nearest Union troops and was situated in a strongly Confederate-supporting region. The 121st's commanding officer barricaded his men in the town square and threatened to burn Fayetteville if Rebels attacked his command. After ten days, the 121st departed the community.

On September 5, 1863, the 121st advanced to Cowan, Tennessee. At this location, the regiment joined the Reserve Corps again and then traveled to Rossville, Georgia via Chattanooga, Tennessee. On September 17, 1863, the organization moved to Ringgold, Georgia, returning to Rossville the following day. On September 19, 1863, during the first day of the Battle of Chickamauga (September 19 and 20, 1863), the 121st advanced up the Ringgold Road towards Chattanooga but did not engage the enemy. On the next day, the regiment was fully engaged, securing from the Confederates the only remaining evacuation route for the defeated Union army. In this battle, the 121st had five officers killed and seven more wounded. The regiment also had fourteen enlisted men killed, seventy wounded, and three additional privates missing.

Following the Battle of Chickamauga, the 121st retreated to Chattanooga with the rest of the Union army. Confederate forces quickly besieged the city. Officials positioned the regiment on the Union right, where the organization remained throughout the Siege of Chattanooga. While in Chattanooga, authorities placed the 121st in the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 14th Army Corps. On November 24, 1863, the regiment fought in the Battle of Lookout Mountain and also participated in the Battle of Missionary Ridge the following day. These engagements ended the Confederate siege of Chattanooga.

Following the Chattanooga Campaign, the 121st entered winter encampment at Rossville, Georgia. On May 2, 1864, the regiment embarked upon General William T. Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign. During this expedition, the regiment fought in the Battles of Buzzard Roost, Resaca, Rome, Dallas, Kennesaw Mountain, Chattahoochie River, Peachtree Creek, Atlanta, and Jonesborough. Upon the North’s capture of Atlanta, Georgia on September 8, 1864, the 121st encamped in the city for three weeks, resting from the arduous campaign. During the Atlanta Campaign, the 121st had twenty-six men killed, including four officers, 213 men wounded, including eight officers, and one man captured. The regiment began the campaign with 429 men available for active duty. After the campaign, the 121st’s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. 121ST REGT. OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, In the Field, near Atlanta, Go., September 9, 1864.

CAPT.: In obedience to orders I have the honor to make the following report of the operations of the One hundred and twenty-first Regt. Ohio Volunteer Infantry on the campaign commencing May 2, 1864, from Rossville, Ga., and ending with the battle of Jonesborough, Ga., and capture of the city of Atlanta by our forces, under Maj.-Gen. Sherman, on the 1st and 2d of September, 1864:

This regiment having, in obedience to orders, first sent to the rear all camp and garrison equipage, company books, and cooking utensils, excepting such as line officers, non-commissioned officers, and men carried about their persons, with one pack-mule for regimental headquarters and one for the medical department, moved from Rossville, Ga., on the 2d of May, 1864. We encamped on the afternoon of May 2 near Ringgold. Ga., on the north side of the Chickamauga River. On the 5th of May we broke up camp, crossed the Chickamauga at and encamped two and a half miles south of Ringgold. On the 7th moved through Tunnel Hill, the enemy retreating to Buzzard Roost. On the morning of the 8th this regiment was deployed as skirmishers in front of the mouth of the Roost. After driving in the skirmishers of the enemy, about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, with four companies of the one hundred and twenty-first Ohio, namely, Company I, Capt. Robinson; B, Capt. Clason; G, Capt. Patrick, and H, Capt. Spaulding; two companies of the One hundred and thirteenth Ohio, two companies of the Seventy-eighth Illinois, under charge of Maj. Green, and one company of the Thirty-fourth Illinois, I charged, and carried the mouth of Buzzard Roost Gap. Company A, of the Thirty-fourth Illinois, at the same time carried the hill on the right of the railroad and immediately south of the gap, a gallant act, for which the company and its commander deserve special mention. On our advance to the mouth of the gap the enemy withdrew to his trenches and earthworks beyond, making the capture an easy one. In the advance Private Alexander Gandy, of Company I, was wounded. We lay at the mouth of Buzzard Roost Gap until the morning of May 12, 1864, when we moved to the right toward Snake Creek Gap; reached the mouth of Snake Creek Gap about dark and halted for supper. We marched all night, passed through the gap, and arrived next morning in Sugar Valley. During the afternoon we moved to the front, leaving all knapsacks and baggage in the valley, and did picket duty for the Second Division, which was massed in front of the enemy's intrenched position at Resaca. On the 14th, at the battle of Resaca, the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio was in the second line and was not engaged. During the engagement Private James F. Lint, of Company F, was wounded. Early on the evening of the 14th we withdrew to the rear, drew two days' rations, and took up a position on the right of the front line, which we intrenched close up to the enemy's lines. During the night of the 15th the enemy retreated across the Coosa River. On the morning of the 16th we marched back to Sugar Valley for knapsacks and baggage, and drew two days' additional rations, and at 2 p. m. took up the line of march for Rome, the expedition, consisting of the Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, under command of Gen. Jefferson C. Davis. Although the weather was very warm and the men were much fatigued and worn out, we reached Rome, a distance of thirty-two miles from Sugar Valley, and drove in the enemy's skirmishers by 3 o'clock on the afternoon of the 17th. On the afternoon of the 17th, after having driven the enemy into his earth-works, he sallied out and charged us, making an energetic effort to drive us back. He was repulsed and driven back, with but slight loss to us, but heavy loss to himself. The One hundred and twenty-first Ohio was posted to cover the artillery, and had no casualties. It was now night, and nothing more could be accomplished for the darkness. During the night our entire line was intrenched. Early on the morning of the 18th Capt. Clason, of Company B, who was in charge of the brigade picket-line, notified me that the enemy had left and that he was occupying the enemy's works with the skirmishers of the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio. I sent the information to Col. Mitchell, commanding the brigade, who sent me an order during the day, hereunto attached, and marked A, complimenting the regiment and Capt. Clason for being first inside the enemy's breast-works at Rome, Ga. The enemy, consisting of Gen. French's division of infantry and a brigade of Texas cavalry, retreated across the Etowah and Oostenaula, burning the bridges over both streams. In addition to 6 pieces of artillery captured here, we also secured a large amount of tobacco and cotton and extensive machine-shops for the manufacture of heavy ordnance. The One hundred and twenty-first rested on the north side of the river, where they were supplied with shoes and clothing and enabled to get plenty of vegetables to eat, until the 23d of May. On the evening of the 23d we moved to the south side of the Coosa River. On the morning of the 24th we took up the line of march for Dallas, Ga. arrived at Cave Spring and camped for the night; Private Samuel Henry, Company G, was wounded by the premature discharge of his gun. Moved on the 25th and bivouacked near Dallas, Ga. On the 27th moved into position and intrenched a line on the left of the Fifteenth Corps, on what is called the Dallas line. On the 28th and 29th occupied the trenches; no casualties, though the enemy shelled our line. On the 30th the regiment was deployed as skirmishers across a gap of over a mile between Gen. Hooker's right and Gen. Davis' left; was relieved on the morning of the 31st by the Thirty-fourth Illinois, and returned to the trenches of the 27th. On the 31st Maj. John Yager, who was on duty in Ohio, returned and joined the command.

On the 1st of June the army abandoned the right of the Dallas line, our division moving to the left and relieving a division of the Twenty-third Corps, the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio occupying the front line of temporary works erected by the Twenty third Corps. We occupied those works during the 2d and 3d of June. On the 2d Private William S. Bergen, of Company A, was severely wounded while on the skirmish line. In our front the enemy's works were within Seventy-five yards. On the 4th of June we moved to the left of the Fourth Corps. On the night of the 4th, while lying in camp, Corporal Preston V. Lepert, of Company D, was severely wounded by a stray ball in the left thigh. On the night of the 4th the enemy left his position in our front. We rested in our position during the 4th and 5th, and on the 6th moved to within one and a half miles of Acworth, went into camp, and rested until the 10th. On the 11th we moved forward and took up a position near the log house. On the 12th and 13th rested in trenches; all quiet. On the 14th moved and took up a position, with our left resting on the railroad, two miles south of Big Shanty. On the 15th built a strong line of works. On the 16th we advanced one-quarter of a mile and built a new line of works. Casualties on the 16th were 3–Privates Jacob B. Brown, Company G, by minie, in the thigh, since dead; Charles Owen, Company E, by musket-ball in leg, slight; Under-cook Matthew Moore, colored, by musket-ball in leg, since dead. On the 17th the regiment occupied trenches; no casualties. On the evening of the 18th we advanced our line, driving in the enemy's skirmishers. Three companies of the One hundred and twenty first Ohio, on the skirmish line, namely, A, D, and K; casualties, 1 killed–Private Chester Bartholomow, of Company D, and 2 wounded–Privates John W. Clifton, of Company D, and John Reid, of Company K. Our skirmishers pushed their skirmish line to within a few yards of the enemy's trenches. During the night the enemy retreated from his strong line of fortifications in our front, and took up his position on the Kenesaw Mountain. On the 19th we followed up the enemy and took up our position at the base of the Kenesaw. The enemy planted his batteries on the top of the Kenesaw, from which position he shelled the woods and camps back from the base of the mountain, doing much damage. I had pushed my line so close to the base of the mountain as to make it impossible for him to depress his guns sufficiently to injure my command. The One hundred and twenty-first Ohio occupied this position from the 18th until the morning of the 26th, and during all the time only 1 man was injured by their shelling, which was without cessation, namely, William Hammil, of Company F, who was wounded in the arm. During the same time there were 3 men wounded in the regiment, viz: Privates John A. Chapman, of Company I; Philip Vanderan, of Company I, and Abraham Drake, of Company I; 1 man killed, Peter Strine, of Company B, by the enemy's sharpshooters, and 1 man, Private Stiles Simpkins, of Company F, wounded, by an imperfect shell from one of our own guns. On the morning of the 26th the regiment was relieved before day and moved to the right, where it rested with the brigade, in the rear of the first line, until the morning of the 27th. On the morning of the 27th of June, in accordance with orders, I held my command ready to move at daylight. Leaving the sick to guard the knapsacks, tents, and cooking utensils, which I had been ordered to leave behind, we moved out and formed, the Second Brigade being on the right of the line that was to storm the enemy's works. The formation was a column of regiments closed in mass. Our column was four regiments deep. In the front line was the One hundred and thirteenth Ohio; just behind the One hundred and thirteenth was the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio; next was the Ninety-eighth Ohio, and next was the Seventy-eighth Illinois, while the Thirty-fourth Illinois was deployed as skirmishers in front of the column. My orders were to overlap the One hundred and thirteenth Ohio two companies to my right, making the right guide of my third company the guide of my regiment, which I ordered to cover the right guide of the regiment in front, and ordered the two right companies to guide left. The other regiments, I understood, were to form in echelon, guiding and overlapping in like manner. I was also instructed to deploy my regiment to the right when I struck the enemy; that my left would probably strike an angle in the enemy's works, and that I would have to wheel my regiment to the left, and that I would be supported on my right by the regiments in my rear. I deployed my regiment as I raised the hill in front of the enemy's works, and uncovering the angle at the very point at which I had been advised I would find it, I started my regiment upon a left wheel, my left already resting well up toward the enemy's works. The enemy still was reserving his fire, and continued to do so until my command got close up to his ditches on the right, when he opened upon my single line with grape and canister from both flanks and a full line of small-arms from my front. On the left, from the first volley from the enemy, the captain of Company B was mortally wounded; the captain of Company G was shot dead; the captain of Company E was shot through the ankle and carried from the field, from which wound he has since died, while the major who was in charge of the left received three mortal wounds, from which he died before he could be taken from the field. Company I had lost 29 out of 56 men she took into action. Their commander, Capt. Robinson, was wounded in the knee, and the only commissioned officer now on the left, while most of the sergeants were either killed or wounded. In Company B all of them were either killed or wounded.

The enemy now opened another battery from an angle in his works on my right. On this flank I was entirely without support. Believing it would be impossible to carry the strong position of the enemy with my now weak and thin line, I closed my regiment to the right and withdrew some twenty paces to the rear, and had my command to lie down, where the formation of the ground offered some protection, and where I would be prepared for any countercharge the enemy might make, ordering my men to keep a constant fire on the enemy to keep him inside his trenches and prevent him from getting possession of my wounded. Having made these dispositions, I sent a written statement of my position to Col. Mitchell, commanding the brigade, who sent me orders to refuse my right and hold and intrench my position, if I could do it without too great a sacrifice. Leaving one-half of my men on the line to keep up the fire, with the other half I built a line of earth-works in the rear of the line under cover of the woods, refusing my right, and at night-fall withdrew my line behind my earth-works. Having my line thus made safe and secure, my next care was for my dead and wounded. Many of them had lain in the hot sun all day without even water to moisten their parched lips, but they were so situated that it was impossible for me to remove them or get them any assistance whatever. Every effort to go to the wounded during the day on my left resulted in either the killing or wounding of those who attempted to go to their relief. In the engagement I lost 3 officers killed and 3 wounded, 15 non-commissioned officers and privates killed and 123 wounded. Two of them, who were wounded in the outside ditch of the enemy's works, were captured. The loss was a severe one to my command. How much we damaged the enemy I do not know, but my opinion is their loss was small, as they fought behind heavy earth-works. We fought the flower of the Southern army, being Cheatham's division, of Hardee's Corps. We succeeded in making a lodgment so close up to their works as to compel them to evacuate four days afterward. On the night of the 28th the enemy, growing uneasy about the tenacity with which we held on to our position so close to their works, charged us and attempted to drive us away. We repulsed him with the small loss of 5 men wounded. On the night of the 2d of July the enemy, having discovered that we were building a new parallel still closer to his lines, evacuated all his earth-works and forts and withdrew beyond the town of Marietta to a prepared line of heavy works near the Chattahoochee River. In following up to this last position the One hundred and twenty first Ohio, while skirmishing with the enemy on the 9th of July, had 3 men wounded. On the night of the 10th the enemy withdrew all his forces across the river. From the 10th to the 17th my regiment rested in camp on the north bank of the Chattahoochee, near the railroad crossing. On the morning of the 17th we broke up camp and crossed the Chattahoochee at Pace's Ferry. After crossing the river a line was formed at right angles with the river and moved down the river in the direction of Peach Tree Creek, the enemy retreating as we advanced. During the night Companies H and F, under command of Capt. Jeff. J. Irvine, acting as skirmishers on our right flank, drove the enemy from a fort on the bank of the river and occupied it. On the morning of the 18th I was sent out with my regiment to make a reconnaissance. I advanced to the Peach Tree Creek, driving the enemy before me and across the river. As he withdrew his forces he burnt the bridge. Having reported my operations, I was ordered to hold the line from the mouth of the Peach Tree to Nancy's Creek, a line three-quarters of a mile in length. The enemy occupied a strong line of trenches and a large fort immediately in my front. On the night of the 18th Companies B and E, under charge of Capt. Robinson, who was assisting me now in the management of the regiment, Lieut.-Col. Lawrence, having gone to the rear sick on the 17th, leaving me without a field officer, erected a temporary bridge across the Peach Tree and built intrenchments on the south side. On the morning of the 19th the enemy opened early upon my line and made a vigorous effort to drive my companies back across the river. All day long and until late at night they kept up a heavy fire all along my line, killing 1 man of Company E and wounding 1 man of Company K and 1 man of Company E. My command returned the fire vigorously, expending ——rounds of cartridges. A deserter, who swam the river and came to us under cover of the night, informed me that we had damaged the enemy very seriously, killing and wounding, in addition to 2 commissioned officers, many of their men.

Before daylight on the morning of the 20th I crossed four additional companies over the Peach Tree, and at daybreak, with six companies (A, F, G, and E, of the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio, and two companies of the Thirty-fourth Illinois that had been sent to assist me), I drove the enemy from their two lines of rifle-pits in my front into his main fort on my right, on the south side of the river, near the ruins of the railroad bridge. During this advance the other companies of my regiment were posted on the north side of the Peach Tree to cover my retreat should I be driven back. After carefully examining the enemy's position and works I had just completed my arrangements to charge the enemy's forts at 3 o'clock when a staff officer from Gen. Davis brought in orders to withdraw my command to the north bank of the Peach Tree, at the same time informing me that the command that had crossed above me, and which I supposed was still on my left, had been withdrawn for some two hours. In obedience to orders I immediately withdrew across the Peach Tree. The enemy did not follow me up. On the 21st. the enemy having withdrawn from his line south of the Peach Tree, with my regiment I rejoined the brigade some three miles to my left. On the morning of the 22d we moved out and took up a position on the right and south of the railroad within three miles of Atlanta in front of the enemy's works our right resting near the old mill, built intrenchments and rested here behind our works until the morning of the 28th, doing only the customary picket duty. July 28, the division, under command of Gen. Morgan, made a reconnaissance to the right toward Sandtown; returned and took up a position at 12 o'clock at night near White Hall. On the 29th advanced our line across the battle-field of the 28th, making reconnaissance to the front. Found the enemy's dead unburied and many of their wounded uncared for. On the 30th advanced our line again to the front and right, the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio acting as skirmishers. On the 31st made a part of division reconnaissance to the right and front, and returned to camp at dark.

Rested in camp on the 1st, 2d, and 3d of August. On the 4th moved early in light marching order, Second Division to support First and Third Divisions on a charge on the right. Advanced our lines some two miles and halted for the night. On the morning of the 5th moved forward and took up a new position fronting the Sandtown road. Before we succeeded in getting into position the enemy opened his batteries and shelled my line, our line being about at right angles with the angle in his works from which he shelled us. My command immediately set to work and threw up works and built traverses, and during the time they wore building them the enemy shelled them from both the front and flank, wounding 1 officer and 2 men. Notwithstanding the heavy shelling and exposed position, when they were unable to reply, every man stuck to his post, and within an hour they had made themselves entirely safe and secure. On the night of the 5th my regiment moved forward and occupied a new line 400 yards in front. This was a most exposed position. On the 6th, although we had made every possible protection in the shape of earth-works, my command had 1 man killed and 3 wounded. On the 7th we advanced and drove the enemy from two lines of earth-works. In this advance I lost 9 men wounded. We punished the enemy severely, captured a number of prisoners and small-arms, and turned the enemy's second line of works against him. On the 8th, 9th, and 10th the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio was on a reconnaissance to the right to watch the enemy's cavalry, which was said to be maneuvering on the Sandtown road to get to our rear to destroy our trains. My skirmishers came up with and drove away a few cavalrymen from our right, after which the command supplied itself plentifully with green corn, potatoes, and vegetables, and returned on the 11th and occupied a position to the right of the position we left on the 8th that had been intrenched by the Twenty-third Corps. We occupied this position, where we were constantly annoyed by the enemy's sharpshooters, until the 27th of the month, when we started on the flank movement which resulted in the capture of Atlanta. During the time my command occupied this line I lost 1 officer wounded, 1 man killed and 7 wounded.

The enemy's position here was on a height on the opposite side of a mill-dam, where the ground was higher than our position, giving them the advantage. We moved on the morning of the 27th to the right. On the morning of the 28th, passing through the intrenched line of the Fourth Corps, our corps turned the head of the column toward the Montgomery railroad. The One hundred and twenty-first Ohio was in the advance, and soon after passing the earthworks of the Fourth Corps I came upon the enemy posted upon a hill, across a small stream with a wide and almost impassable swamp in their front. Six companies were deployed as skirmishers, namely, A, F, D, I, K, and H, the other four acting as a reserve. They advanced and drove the enemy from his position in a most gallant manner, severely damaging him. In this advance I lost 1 man killed, 2 officers wounded, and 6 men wounded. The enemy consisted of Ross' brigade of cavalry. The column now advanced and we moved on, driving the disorganized brigade before us for five miles, with our skirmishers across the Montgomery railroad, where we first destroyed the telegraph wire. About 1 p. m. took up a part of the railroad track and posted my command across the railroad and waited for the column to come up. We then went into position about one and a half miles south of the railroad and intrenched. We occupied this position until the morning of the 30th. On the 30th moved in the direction of the Macon railroad. On the afternoon of the 31st moved with the division in support of the Third Division to the Macon railroad. The Fourteenth Army Corps rested with its left on the railroad. The Second Division was the right division of the Corps, and the Second Brigade the right of the division, and the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio was in the second line on the right of the brigade. About 4 o'clock we charged the enemy's position. Just as we advanced to the charge the Thirty-fourth Illinois was posted on my right; to my front and right was the Seventy-eighth Illinois. I was now ordered to leave one-half of my regiment with one-half of the Thirty-fourth Illinois to intrench a position for our protection should we be driven back. In order to have all the companies represented in the charge I left the rear rank and moved on with the front. We passed over the enemy's works in our front, when a staff officer from Col. Mitchell brought me orders to hasten to the right to the support of the Seventy-eighth Illinois. I moved on double-quick, by the flank, to the right about 200 yards, through the woods, and found the Seventy-eighth Illinois had possession of a 6-gun battery, from which it had driven all of the enemy that it had not either killed or captured. Simultaneous with my arrival the Thirty-fourth Illinois came up. Our arrival was in good time; the enemy had rallied and was coming back upon the Seventy-eighth Illinois (which had already lost largely) in heavy force. But he was turned back from this, and another attempt to retake the guns was most severely punished. The guns were captured by the Seventy-eighth Illinois. The One hundred and twenty-first Ohio and the Thirty-fourth Illinois held the guns and repulsed two desperate charges of the enemy to retake the battery. The second charge was made about 6 o'clock, and from this time until darkness put an end to the conflict the battle raged fiercely. During the night the enemy retreated, leaving his dead upon the field, and his wounded in and about Jonesborough. He left many arms and accouterments scattered over the field. The victory was complete; the enemy had fled in confusion. Cleburne's division, the pride of the Southern army, whose boast had been "they had never been whipped," was whipped and captured, with all their guns, by the old Second Division, from behind their strong line of earth-works. Sherman's army had struck their center, divided and routed their army, and compelled the evacuation of Atlanta. After collecting the spoils of the victory we returned, and are now in camp near Atlanta.

Throughout the long and tedious campaign the officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of my command have been at their posts and did their duty. I know of no instance during the campaign of any part of my command–officers, non-commissioned officers, or privates–failing in the performance of his or their duty. I know of no circumstances so trying or hour so gloomy in the campaign (although I have lost in killed and wounded more than one half of the armed and equipped men with which I started on the campaign) as to cause my men to lose hope or fail to have perfect confidence in our final success. I started with 429 non-commissioned officers and men, armed and equipped, and 18 commissioned officers. Of the officers, 3 were killed on the battle-field on the 27th of June; 1 was mortally wounded and 8 others have been wounded. Of the non-commissioned officers and men, 22 have been killed and 185 have been wounded making a total of 218. Two that were wounded in the outside ditches of the enemy's works on the 27th of June were captured and 1 is missing. Among the dead we mourn the gallant Maj. John Yager. Absent on duty in Ohio when the campaign commenced, he asked to be relieved and hastened to join his regiment. His high sense of honor would not permit him to be absent from his command in the hour of peril and danger. He joined us at Dallas on the 30th of May, and in less than a month, on the 27th of June, at the assault upon the enemy's works at Kenesaw, at his post on the left of the regiment, cheering on the men, he received three mortal wounds, from which he died before he could be taken from the field. He was a brave man, a true soldier, and loved by the entire command. At the same time and from the same volley the accomplished scholar and soldier, Capt. M. B. Clason, received two mortal wounds, from which he died upon the field, while gallantly leading his company in the charge; also, the young, brave, and dashing Capt. Patrick, of Company G, who had before been wounded at Chickamauga and had just been promoted, fell pierced through the heart while cheering and leading on his men. Capt. Lloyd, who had just recovered from a most severe wound, with his accustomed determination to overcome all obstacles, and who had pushed up to the very ditches of the enemy with the small remnant of his company, received a mortal wound, afterward promoted major, and since died. The gallantry and bravery of Capt. Robinson, of Company I, throughout the campaign entitles him to be specially mentioned. I desire also to acknowledge my many obligations to him for the able assistance he has been to me in the management of the regiment as acting major since the 17th of July, when Lieut.-Col. Lawrence was taken sick, leaving me without a field officer. The gallantry and bravery also of Capt. D. H. Henderson, of Company K, who was severely wounded in the charge made by the enemy to retake the guns captured in front of Jonesborough.

The following officers also deserve special mention for gallantry: Capt. S. B. Morehouse, Company D; Capt. T. C. Lewis, Company H; Capt. J. J. Irvine, Company B; Capt. C. P. Cavis, Company A; Lieut. A. A. Corrello, Company F; Lieut. M. E. Willoughby, Company G; Lieut. John J. Miller, Company E; Lieut. B. A. Banker, Company C; Lieut. James H. Ball, Company G.

My adjutant, M. H. Lewis, and Surgeon Hill both did their entire duty, and have my thanks. The health of Lieut.-Col. Lawrence has been such the greater part of the campaign as to render him unfit for duty. The instances among the non-commissioned officers and men deserting special notice are too numerous to mention. The gallant conduct of themselves and their fallen comrades on the many hard-contested fields of the campaign has made for them and the regiment names that will live forever.


Col., Cmdg. 121st Ohio Vol. Infantry.

Capt. J. S. WILSON,

Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

On September 29, 1864, the 121st departed Atlanta, traveling via train to Chattanooga. At Chattanooga, the regiment pursued General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s Confederate cavalry, which was raiding the Chattanooga and Nashville Railroad. The 121st drove the Southerners into Alabama before the organization returned to Chattanooga. The unit next briefly pursued Confederate General John Bell Hood’s army, which was conducting an invasion of northern Georgia, northern Alabama, and central Tennessee, however Union officials soon assigned the 121st to participate in General Sherman’s March to the Sea.

After the Union military captured Savannah, Georgia in late December 1864, the 121st Regiment embarked upon Sherman’s Carolinas Campaign. The 121st fought in many of the engagements of this expedition and played a prominent role in the Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina (March 19-21, 1865), having six men killed and twenty more wounded. The regiment next advanced to Goldsboro, North Carolina, arriving at this location in early April 1865. At Goldsboro, the 121st’s commanding officer issued the following report:

HDQRS. 121ST OHIO VOLUNTEERS INFANTRY, Goldsborough, N. C., March 26, 1865.

CAPT.: In compliance with circular of this date I have the honor of submitting the following report of the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry for the campaign from Savannah, Ga., to Goldsborough, N. C.:

On the morning of the 20th of January, 1865, the regiment struck tents and broke up their camp in the vicinity of Savannah and commenced the campaign. We marched about ten miles in the direction of Sister's Ferry and bivouacked for the night. The road through that swampy region was almost impassable and the rain of that and the next three days made it quite, so causing a delay at that point of four days. On the 25th we resumed the march at 7 a. m. and went about eighteen miles. On the 26th we continued the march at 7 a. m., our brigade having in charge the division train, and with great difficulty made only about six miles through extensive swamps, and bivouacked near Springfield, Ga., where we found the Third Division, Fourteenth Army Corps. On the 27th the march was resumed at 7 a. m. through swamps, the troops wading the high waters of Ebenezer River waist-deep on a very cold day and advanced only about six miles. Samuel C. Nelson, of Company D, has his foot badly injured by a wagon wheel running over it while wading the river and was sent to hospital. On the 28th resumed the march at 8 a. m. and advanced about five miles, arriving at Sister's Ferry about 11 a. m., and went into camp.

We remained there until the 5th of February, employed in the mean-time in unloading transports and constructing a road across the river and adjacent swamp. On the evening of the 5th we crossed Savannah River on a pontoon bridge and marched about two miles. On the 6th and 7th our division remained at the ferry for supplies, while the balance of the Left wing proceeded toward Branchville, S. C. On the 8th we marched at 7 a. m. and went about ten miles, and bivouacked at Brighton. We resumed the march on the 9th and went about twenty miles, camping at Dry Gall River. On the 10th we resumed the march at 7 a. m. and went twenty-two miles. We marched on the 11th at 6.30 a. m., and were delayed by the First Division crossing our load, and advanced only about twelve miles, passing through Barnwell about 3 p. m. On the 12th marched at 6.30 a. m; crossed the railroad at Willichsville [Williston] and went to South Edisto River, a distance of sixteen miles. The Twentieth Corps had destroyed the railroad in the vicinity of Willkinsville [Williston], and the First and Third Divisions, of Fourteenth Corps, went in the direction of Aiken to support our cavalry and destroy the railroad, while our division took charge of the entire corps train. On the 13th we marched at 7 a. m., crossed the South Edisto River and camped by the North Edisto, a distance of six miles, where the First and Third Divisions rejoined us and the train was left with the Third Division. On the 14th we marched eighteen miles, crossing the North Edisto. On the 15th we marched at 7.30 a. m. and went about eighteen miles and camped near Lexington. A brigade of Wheeler's cavalry hovered upon our flank and skirmished with us during the day and severely wounded George Wheeler, of Company F. On the 16th we resumed the march at 6 a. m., passing through Lexington, and went within view of Columbia and found the bridge across the Saluda River burned. We then turned back and bore to the left up the river and bivouacked upon its banks, having marched about sixteen miles. On the 17th we marched at 6 a. m. and went about sixteen miles, crossing Saluda River and camping on the banks of Broad River. Columbia surrendered at 8 a. m. and the Fifteenth and Seventeenth Corps entered the city. On the 18th we crossed Broad River at 5 a. m. on a flat-boat, the Second and Third Brigades crossing in that manner. The pontoon was not completed until after midnight following. We threw up a barricade of logs to protect us against a threatened attack of the enemy. On the 19th marched about five miles and camped, and the regiments destroyed about one-third of a miles of railroad leading from Columbia to Spartanburg. On the 20th the Second Division was left in charge of the corps trains and we marched five miles, the First and Third Division going ahead. On the 21st marched at 10 a. m. and crossed Little River and went ten miles and camped near Winnsborough. On the 22d marched at 6 a. m. and went about ten miles, crossing the railroad at White Oak about eight miles northwest of Winnsborough. The First and Third Divisions coming in from the latter place intercepted our road. The Right Wing of the army camped near us that night. On the 23d we marched at 7 a. m. and went eight miles, and camped by the Catawba River, passing the First and Third Divisions in the evening. On the 24th we marched at 10 a. m. and crossed the Catawba on a pontoon bridge and went two miles, and being able to get but a small portion of our train up the steep hill and across the miry roads we went into camp. The roads were awful and there was continual rain. On the 25th we continued our labor to bring up the train, and succeeded in getting the train of one division across. On the night of the 25th the high water broke our bridge and we remained in camp on the 26th and 27th. The bridge was relaid and the train crossed during the night and morning of the 28th, and we marched at 11 a. m. and went five miles, each division now taking charge of its own train.

On the 1st of March we marched at 6 a. m. and went twenty miles. On the 2d we marched at 6 a. m. and went twelve miles and camped on Lynch's Creek. On the 3d resumed the march at 6 a. m. and went eighteen miles and camped by Thompson's Creek. The rebels cavalry hovered upon our left flank and harassed our foragers; three of the regiment were captured while foraging (see list hereunto attached). On the 4th we continued the march at 6 a. m., and went fourteen miles to the Great Pedee River and camped near Sneedsborough. The Twentieth Corps met us at this point while the Right Wing crossed at Cheraw. On the 5th and 6th we remained in camp, the pontoon bridge across the river having broken and delayed our crossing. On the 7th we crossed the river in the evening, our brigade, in charge of the division train, being the last to cross. On the 8th we resumed the march at 6 a. m. and went twenty two miles, crossing the State line into North Carolina. On the 9th we continued the march at 7 a. m. and went twenty-one miles. On the 10th we marched at 7 a. m. heavy firing was heard on our left, and in a short time our brigade was ordered to the relief of Gen. Kilpatrick, who had been attacked in his camp. we marched briskly and in little over an hour reached the scene of action, but found the enemy had been repulsed with severe loss, and our cavalry in quiet possession of the field. In the evening we returned to the road and advanced ten miles, making a distance of twenty miles in all. A prisoners belonging to the –North Carolina Regt. was captured by the regiment that day. On the 11th we marched at 10 a. m. and went ten miles and encamped near Fayetteville, N. C., the First and Third Divisions entering the town. On the evening of the 12th we marched through Fayetteville and crossed the Cape Fear River on pontoon bridge and camped, having marched about three miles. Both wings of the army crossed the river at that point and we remained in camp on the 13th and 14th, awaiting supplies by the river. On the 14th a prisoner belonging to the First South Carolina Artillery was brought in by one of our foragers. On the 15th we resumed the march at 9 a. m. on the Raleigh road, and went about twelve miles and camped near –Creek; the First Division and two divisions of the Twentieth Corps accompanied us, while the Right Wing advanced on a road some distance to our right; the Third Division and the remaining division of the twentieth Corps, in charge of their respective corps trains, also move on another road to our right in the direction of Goldsborough; some cannonading was heard to our right in the evening. On the 16th we marched at 7 a. m. soon artillery firing commenced in our front; after advancing about four miles our brigade was formed on the left of the Twentieth Corps in three lines, the One hundred and twenty-first and the One hundred and thirteenth forming the front line, the One hundred and twenty-first on the right joining Gen. Ward's division, of the Twentieth Corps. Two Companies, B and K, of the One hundred and twenty-first, were sent forward as skirmishers. The enemy had constructed two lines of fortifications, the second and main line crossing our road at the junction of the Raleigh and Goldsborough road, and effectually commanding the road, and they were protected on the right flank by the Cape Fear River; these works were occupied by Gen. Hardee's corps. The Twentieth Corps having been marching in our front had charged the first line and carried it, capturing four pieces of artillery before our brigade arrived upon the line. About 12 m. we advanced upon the second line and pressed close to their works, driving in their skirmishers, and there, within 200 yards of their earth-works, threw up a protection of logs and awaited orders. The enemy had a section of a battery (two pieces) in our immediate front. In the evening we had orders to remain in that position for the night. The night was cold, wet, and very disagreeable, and the men laid upon their arms. In the morning it was found the enemy had evacuated during the night; their last skirmish firing ceased about 5 a. m. The casualties of the One hundred and twenty-first on the 16th were six wounded (see list hereunto attached).

On the 17th we resumed the march at 8 a. m., taking the Goldsborough road, while the rebels retreated upon the Raleigh road, our division taking the advance. We advanced about twelve miles and camped near–Creek. On the 18t we marched at 5 a. m. and went about ten miles, when we met opposition from a brigade of rebel cavalry with a section of artillery. Two brigades of our division formed in two lines, our brigade on the left and the One hundred and twenty-first on the left of the second line. In this form we advanced upon their position and the enemy retreated. We then went into camp and remained over night to give the rear time to close up. John Wallace, Company H, a pioneer, was captured while foraging. On the morning of the 19th the First Division passed us and we marched at 8 a. m. and went about five miles. About 9 a. m. artillery firing was heard in front, and as we advanced musketry could also be distinguished. The First Division formed upon the left of the road and the second upon the right. Our brigade had the advance and immediately formed in the following order: The Seventy-eighth Illinois in advance as skirmishers; the One hundred and thirteenth Ohio on the right of the front line; the One hundred and eighth Ohio in the center, and the Ninety-eighth Ohio on the left of the front line; the One hundred and twenty-first Ohio on the second line immediately in the rear of the One hundred and thirteenth, and the Thirty-fourth Illinois in the rear of the Ninety-eighth Ohio. In this shape we advanced, obliquing to the right until the skirmish line engaged the enemy's skirmishers, and by a spirited charge drove them inside their works and came near carrying the works, but in turn were compelled to retire. Our main line having closed well up with the skirmishers, and the enemy's position having been ascertained, each regiment constructed works by throwing up logs upon their respective lines. The First Brigade joined in a similar manner on our right, while the Third was held in reserve, immediately in our rear. Our works faced the enemy's and were nearly parallel with them, the right a little refused. This accomplished, we lay in comparative quiet an hour or more, when the firing upon our left began to increase at about 2 p. m. In about half an hour the Third Brigade was sent hastily to meet what was now ascertained to be the advancing columns of the enemy, which had broken the lines of the First Division and were now threatening our left flank. In a few minutes Gen. Morgan ordered me to move the One hundred and twenty-first one regimental front to the left, refusing the left, which was immediately done, and the regiment went hastily to work throwing up a breast-work of logs in this new position, while the First Brigade moved one regiment into the works just abandoned by us.

In the meantime the firing increased along the whole line and was advancing alarmingly upon our left flank, making it evident our left had given back. In a few minutes now I received an order from Gen. Mitchell to advance the regiment until we reached the Thirty-fourth Illinois, and to form upon their left, which in the meantime had changed front and now formed a line at nearly right angles with the original front line, their joining upon the left of the Ninety-eighth Ohio, and had thrown up works in that new position. I was told that if I found a regiment already formed upon the left of the Thirty-fourth to move still to the left and take position upon and extension of that line. I did find, not only one but at least two regiment (the Twenty-first Wisconsin and Thirty-eighth Indiana, of the First Division) upon the left of the Thirty-fourth upon an extension of their line, except that the left of each was refused, and I moved the One hundred and twenty-first we formed upon the left of these. All this was done in a swamp covered with water and thickly overgrown with underwood and brambles as well as larger trees, and under a continual fire, which was growing hotter every minute. Before we got in position the enemy were discovered moving by their right flank within 200 yards in a direction nearly parallel with our line, in such a manner, however, as to expose our left flank to continual danger. Such, however, was the similarity in appearance of their uniform to the dusty, threadbare, and faded uniform of our own troops, added to the repeated assurance that we still had troops in that direction, as left a doubt in my mind whether they were not our own troops, and I ordered the men to lay down, reserving their fire. In this emergency, as the enemy were still moving rapidly to our left flank, I sent Lieut. James Ball, of Company G, with six men of his company to reconnoiter our left, to watch their movements and ascertain to a certainly who they were and to prevent a surprise to our regiment from that direction. In a few minutes I became thoroughly satisfied who they were, as I saw their colors emerging from the brush, and I ordered the men to fire, which was quickly returned. The fire was now kept up for about fifteen minutes with great obstinacy, the enemy slowly advancing and we holding our ground. In the meantime Lieut. Ball found them closing in upon our left and the fire upon our right became a perfect tempest and was approaching, when it was discovered that the line upon our right was broken and falling back in disorder. To remain longer in that position would have been madness, and we fell back about 400 yards. The enemy, apparently more intent to close in upon what seemed to be the main force, and no doubt now flattering themselves with the idea that one more blow would complete their victory, allowed us to reform our regiment while they pushed up to the works of the First Brigade and actually occupied the first line, but were soon after repulsed with great loss and retreated in confusion.

In the meantime the position of the Second Brigade was charged upon three sides and the troops were compelled to change position from one side to the other of their works, but they stood like a rock, and the enemy were handsomely repulsed and driven back in confusion. In falling back through the brush and swamps the regiment divided, and when we were only partly reformed, a staff officer of the First Brigade retreated the troops that were there (and there were no less than three regimental colors besides our own) to form and advance to the support of the First Brigade, which, he said, was in danger of being flanked. Calling as many of the regiments as were present together, without waiting for the balance I ordered them to advance at double-quick, which they did with a shout, but the enemy had already been repulsed, and I moved them to the right, into the works where the First Brigade were performing, and reported to Gen. Vandever. In a few minutes I saw Lieut. Scott, brigade ordnance officer, who told me the Second Brigade were still in their old position, and I immediately reported with what men I had to Gen. Mitchell, and he assigned us to a new position on the left of the Thirty-fourth Illinois, behind the works abandoned by the Twenty-first Wisconsin. In the meantime the balance of the regiment were formed by captain Banning, who was assisting me in the command of the regiment, and by Adjutant Lewis, and by the direction of Capt. Craft, division provost-marshal, he conducted them toward the train and reported to Col. McMahan, commanding [Third] Brigade, of the First Division, Fourteenth Corps, and by that means became separated from us the balance of the day. About the time of the repulse by the First and Second Brigades, the First Division and the Twentieth Corps, which also had given away at first, rallied their troops and fought with terrific fury until about sunset, when the firing subsided and the enemy were evidently repulsed at all points.

During this last period there was comparative quiet in our front. At dark, however, our sentinels ran in telling me that the enemy were coming and were very near us. Fearing that some of our troops might have become bewildered and were coming in, I ordered the men not to fire, but to lay close to their works and I challenged the enemy. They were plainly to be seen not thirty paces from us, picking their way through the swamp, and apparently forming line in our front, unconscious of our position. After some parleying I succeeded in getting one to come in, a lieutenant, and when he saw who we were he surrendered his sword to me and reported that the Tenth North Carolina Regt. was there. This satisfied me as to who they were and I communicated this information to the Thirty-fourth Illinois immediately on our right, and sent the officers to Gen. Mitchell. I then ordered the enemy to come in at once, telling them if they did not we should fire upon them. After a moment's pause I ordered the men to fire, which was kept up for about fifteen minutes. One more prisoner gave himself up and was sent to Gen. Mitchell. The enemy broke and fled in great confusion, throwing away blankets, knapsacks, and guns. Thus ended the day. The One hundred and twenty-first had 4 killed and 27 wounded, including 3 commissioned officers, all of which occurred while we were on the left flank. The affair of the evening was the first opportunity the regiment ever had of fighting behind their works. We carried in one wounded rebel and sent him to the hospital. In the morning we found in our immediate from three dead rebels, one of whom we buried and we gathered up forty-two muskets and one sword which had been thrown away by them during the panic of the evening before. The rebels were known to have carried off some of their wounded during the night. It is more difficult to estimate the result of our work in the other part of the action in which we participated. Upon visiting the grounds the next day I became satisfied that the loss inflicted upon them at that place by us in killed and wounded was much greater than what we suffered. The fact that other troops may have fought over the same grounds afterward makes it impossible to know that the dead found there fell by our own hands, but we have every reason to believe that 8 or 10 of the killed and 2 or 3 of the wounded left on the field was the work of our regiment. The deliberate aim which our men were enabled to take made their fire very effectual. One thing, however, can be estimated. Lieut. Ball, whom I had sent to reconnoiter our left, as before mentioned, when we found our lines had been driven back withdrew his men until the enemy passed, and then having got together six or eight more men, and observing the confusion of the enemy took advantage of it, and began picking up their stragglers lurking through the swamp, of whom he sent thirty-five to division and brigade headquarters, including one commissioned officer. After providing for our wounded the men slept a few hours on their arms. In the morning one more prisoner was brought in, found in the swamp, and sent to division headquarters. The rest of the regiment joined us early in the morning. We buried our dead and about 1 p. m. moved forward and occupied the enemy's works which had been evacuated, they having changed their lines by withdrawing their left. While repairing our works that evening, Lieut. Willoughby, of Company B, was severely wounded, and Lieut. Scott, Company F, brigade ordnance officer, was severely wounded during the day while on duty on Gen. Mitchell's staff. We lay on our arms that night.

On the 21st brisk skirmishing was kept up in our front and heavy fighting on our right by the Right Wing. The One hundred and twenty-first had 1 man killed and 1 wounded during the day. We changed our lines in the evening and threw up new works and slept on our arms during the night. The next morning revealed the fact that the enemy had evacuated and were in full retreat toward Raleigh.

Lieut. Ball brought in one more prisoner, who was sent to division headquarters. The enemy were commanded by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, who had concentrated his forces to the number of 30,000 to 40,000. He evidently hoped to overpower us by superiority of numbers before our forces could be collected. How near he succeeded and how signally he failed be fully known when the true history of that battle has been published. And then will the record of the Second Division of the Fourteenth Army Corps exhibit it as an immovable bulwark against which the storm of battle dashed in vain, and by whom the tide of victory was checked and sent back against the enemy. Only two divisions of the Fourteenth and two divisions of the Twentieth Corps were in the engagement of the 19th against the overwhelming numbers of the enemy.

On the 22d we again resumed our march and went eight miles, crossing Flood Creek. On the 23d we marched at 8 a. m. and entered Goldsborough in the evening, a distance of twelve miles, and found that place had been occupied by the Twenty-third Corps for three days.

We went into camp about one mile north of the town, where we still remain. Our wounded were all cared for and brought to Goldsborough.

Thus ended our campaign from Savannah to Goldsborough. In making this report I have found it necessary to mention many matters in which the One hundred and twenty indirectly connected. During all this time the regiment have supplied themselves with provisions by foraging off the country. For this purpose eighteen enlisted men and commissioned officer were detailed from the regiment who foraged upon our flanks and reported daily to the regiment, camping with it at night. They found meat in great abundance. It was more difficult to procure breadstuff, and to supply the deficiency an issue of hard bread was made occasionally from the commissary department. The foragers were allowed to mount themselves, which they soon did. Besides the stock thus captured and appropriated they captured twenty-two mules, which were allowed for pack-mules for companies and for regimental headquarters. In addition to this, 4 mules were appropriated by the regimental quartermaster to replace jaded mules, 4 were turned over to Capt. Swisher, brigade quartermaster, 4 were turned over to Lieut. Blotter, acting commissary of subsistence, and 1 to Lieut. Coe, acting quartermaster, by order of Gen. Morgan.

Before closing this report I beg leave to express my obligation to Capt. J. M. Banning, who was assisted me in the command of the regiment, and whose services on the 19th instant especially entitle him to my favorable consideration and gratitude. I wish to make like acknowledgment to Adjt. Milo H. Lewis for similar services on that occasion, as well as on others. I would make special mention of Lieut. James Ball, Company G, for his sacrifices of the 19th instant, not only for his conduct in the execution of my order to reconnoiter the left, mentioned in this report, but also for the judicious manner in which he seize upon his opportunity to employ his squad in picking up prisoners.

I also take pleasure in making special mention of the conduct of Corpl. Simeon Woodruff and private Almon Hollister, of Company F, on that occasion. These men, in passing back through the swamp, became separated from the regiment, and suddenly found themselves confronted by a squad of five rebels, all armed, who had in charge one of the Thirty-fourth Illinois as a prisoner. They immediately challenged the rebels to surrender, which was done, and they took charge of the five prisoners–one a lieutenant, who surrendered his sword to Corporal Woodruff; one an ordnance officer, acting adjutant of his regiment; one an orderly sergeant, and two privates, and liberated the Thirty-fourth Illinois man–and under the direction of Lieut. Ball they reported the same to brigade headquarters. I would recommend that Corporal Woodruff be allowed to keep the sword as a reward for such meritorious services. I would also make special mention of Corpl. Leroy S. Mason, Company E, for distinguished services on the 19th instant. In this connection I feel it my duty to tender my thanks and my many obligations to the line and staff officers of the regiment, who, with one exception (Lieut. Long, of Company K), have discharged their duty faithfully, and have won my confidence and esteem. It would be invidious to discriminate further among the enlisted men, where there were so many instances of good conduct and where so few failed to do their whole duty. All good soldiers have my grateful acknowledgments for their valuable services, with the assurance that I am ever as ready to reward merit as I am to condemn the unworthy.

The following lists will exhibit our casualties, captures, &c., during the campaign.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Maj., Cmdg. 121st Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Capt. J. S. WILSON,

Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 2d Div., 14th Army Corps.

Report of prisoners captured.





March 10




March 13



March 19




March 20



March 21







EM=Enlisted men. CO=Commissioned officers. T=Total.

In mid April, the organization moved to Raleigh, North Carolina and then to Cape Fear River, North Carolina. After Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston surrendered in late April 1865, the 121st moved to Holly Springs, North Carolina, where the unit remained until May 1, 1865, when the regiment traveled via Richmond, Virginia to Washington, DC. At Washington, the 121st participated in the Grand Review. On June 8, 1865, officials mustered the regiment out of service at Washington. The organization’s members then traveled to Columbus, Ohio, where authorities discharged the men on June 12, 1865.

During its term of service, the 121st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry lost 101 men, including nine officers, to wounds. An additional 248 soldiers, including two officers, died from disease or accidents.

Related Entries