Ohio Civil War » Civil War A-Z » 0-9 » 82nd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry

82nd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry


In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.

Infantry regiments formed in Ohio became known as regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Soldiers of Ohio infantry regiments served the Union for varying lengths of time, ranging from one hundred days to three years. One of the three-year regiments was the 82nd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Volunteers from the Logan, Richland, Ashland, Union, and Marion Counties principally formed the 82nd Regiment beginning on November 5, 1861, at Kenton, Ohio. Officials mustered the regiment's 968 men into military service on December 31, 1861.

Departing Kenton on January 25, 1862, the 82nd traveled to Grafton, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), crossing the Ohio River at Benwood and arriving at the organization's destination on January 27, 1862. On the next day, the regiment entered camp near Fetterman, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia) and engaged in military drill. Beginning on March 16, 1862, the 82nd advanced through the western Virginia (modern-day West Virginia) communities of New Creek and Moorefield in search of Confederate guerrillas. In early May 1862, the regiment moved through Petersburg, Franklin, and Monterey before rushing to McDowell, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia) to assist Union forces under Confederate attack. The 82nd arrived at McDowell on May 7, 1862 and engaged a Confederate force under the command of General Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson in the Battle of McDowell the following day. Despite greatly outnumbering the Northerners, the Southerners did not attack. Union commanders ordered the 75th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and the 25th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry to assault the Confederate line. Fighting raged until nightfall, when the Union retreated.

The Northerners retreated to Franklin, Virginia (modern-day West Virginia), where the soldiers joined General John C. Fremont's command. Jackson's Confederates engaged the Union soldiers for ten days, as the Southerners attempted to breach the Northerners' line. Failing in their objective, the Rebels returned to the Shenandoah Valley.

Fremont's command, including the 82nd Regiment, followed the Southerners into the valley, and engaged a Confederate force at Cross Keys, Virginia on June 10, 1862. In the ensuing Battle of Cross Keys, the 82nd spent most of the day in the reserve and saw limited combat, although Southern artillery did shell the regiment. In this engagement, the Union lost a significantly larger number of men killed, wounded, or captured, but the Southerners withdrew the night of June 10.

Following the Battle of Cross Keys, the 82nd pursued the retreating Confederates to the Shenandoah River before marching down the valley through New Market, Mount Jackson, Strasburg, and Middletown. The regiment soon joined a new Union army, the Army of Virginia, under the command of Major General John Pope. Officials organized this force to protect Washington, D.C., while the main Union command in the Eastern Theater–the Army of the Potomac–advanced on Richmond, Virginia in the Peninsula Campaign. Following the Army of the Potomac's defeat in this campaign, the Confederacy's Army of Northern Virginia embarked on a northward advance. On August 8, 1862, the forefront of the Confederate army engaged the Army of Virginia at the Battle of Cedar Mountain, Virginia. The 82nd saw limited action in this Union victory.

The Southerners soon continued their northern advance, with the Army of Virginia struggling to locate the enemy force. The 82nd camped briefly on the south bank of the Robertson's River before searching for the Confederates at Warrenton Sulphur Springs. At Rappahannock Station, the Army of Virginia located portions of the Army of Northern Virginia. For ten days, the two sides participated in skirmishing across the Rappahannock River. The 82nd participated in one such skirmish at Freeman's Ford on August 18, 1862, preventing the Southerners from crossing the river. Three days later, officials assigned the regiment to guard the Waterloo Bridge. After the organization repulsed several Confederate assaults, Union authorities instructed the 82nd to destroy the bridge, which the regiment promptly did.

Later that afternoon, an engagement erupted near Gainesville, Virginia. The 82nd's brigade rushed to the field, but darkness prevented the organization's participation in the battle. On the next morning, the 82nd Ohio and the 3rd Regiment Virginia Infantry led a Northern assault against the Confederate line. These two regiments drove the enemy pickets back. The 82nd succeeded in scaling the Southerners' embankment but had to withdraw after Confederate reinforcements attacked the regiment's flank. Later in the afternoon, the regiment helped repulse several Confederate assaults, but the Army of Virginia retreated to Centerville, Virginia later that evening under the cover of darkness.

The ;82nd did not participate in the Battle of Bull Run II (August 28-30, 1862), advancing to Fairfax Court House, Virginia in search of the advancing Confederates on September 2, 1862. At this location, the regiment became provost-guards for General Franz Sigel's corps. One week later, Sigel moved his command to Fort De Kalb, part of Washington, DC's defenses, where the organization became the Eleventh Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The 82nd did not participate in the Union victory at the Battle of Antietam (September 17, 1862), remaining at the nation's capitol to defend the city from a feared Confederate attack. On September 25, 1862, the regiment advanced to Fairfax Court House, joining the Northern pursuit of the retreating Army of Northern Virginia. On November 4, 1862, the 82nd advanced to Gainesville but returned to Fairfax Court House two weeks later.

In early December 1862, Sigel's corps joined the Army of the Potomac's advance against the Army of Northern Virginia at Fredericksburg, Virginia. The 82nd saw limited action in the Battle of Fredericksburg (December 11-15, 1862) and entered winter encampment on December 17, 1862 at Stafford Court House, Virginia.

Due to a lack of men resulting from the hard campaigning of late 1862, during the winter of 1862-1863, officials designated the 82nd Regiment as a battalion of sharpshooters. New recruits during the winter encampment returned the 82nd to the status of a regiment.

On April 27, 1863, the Eleventh Corps departed Stafford Court House for Chancellorsville, Virginia, crossing the Rappahannock River at Kelly's Ford and the Rapidan River at Ely's Mills. On April 30, 1863, the 82nd arrived three miles from Chancellorsville and began digging entrenchments the following day. On the afternoon of May 2, Confederate forces launched an assault against the Eleventh Corps. The 82nd held its position, while other Union regiments fled from the field. With Confederates on each of the Ohioans' flanks, the 82nd had to withdraw. The organization, now numbering just 134 men, formed a new line and succeeded, with other Union soldiers, in repulsing the Southern advance. On May 3, 1863, the Eleventh Corps relocated to the Union left, where officials had the command guard the Northern pontoons across the Rapidan River. The 82nd remained on the left flank in the trenches and serving on picket duty until May 7, 1863, when the Union army withdrew from the battlefield. That evening, the regiment encamped at Stafford Court House.

The 82nd remained at Stafford Court House until June 10, 1863, when the organization joined the Army of the Potomac's pursuit of the Army of Northern Virginia, which was advancing through western Virginia to Maryland and eventually to Pennsylvania. During the Gettysburg Campaign, the regiment marched through the Virginia communities of Catlett's Station, Manassas Junction, Centerville, and Goose Creek before crossing the Potomac River into Maryland at Edwards's Ferry. The 82nd continued the search for the Confederate army, moving through the Maryland towns of Middletown, Frederick, and Emmettsburg. On July 1, 1863, the Army of the Potomac located the Army of Northern Virginia at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The 82nd arrived on the battlefield at approximately noon. The Confederates drove the regiment through the town, and the 82nd took up a position on the eastern portion of Cemetery Ridge in support of a Union battery. The regiment entered the battle's first day with twenty-two commissioned officers and 236 enlisted men. At the end of the first day, the organization had just three officers and eighty-nine enlisted men available for duty, as the remainder had been killed, wounded, or captured. Fortunately for the 82nd, the organization saw limited combat the final two days of this battle.

After Gettysburg, the 82nd's commanding officer issued the following report:

Near Warrenton Junction, Va., August 21, 1863.

Sir: In compliance with your order, I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this regiment at the battle of Gettysburg, and from that time to July 25, the date of our encampment near Warrenton Junction, Va.:

On July 1 last, this regiment, numbering 312 men present for duty, under the command of Col. James S. Robinson, and forming part of the Second Brigade, was assigned a position on the left of that brigade during the battle of that day, in the north of the town. By command of Col. Robinson, the regiment fell back through Gettysburg with the remainder of the forces of the Third Division. Upon entering the town, Col. Robinson was severely wounded, when I took command of the regiment. On arriving on the ground in front of the cemetery building, I was ordered to take a position near. I placed the regiment west of and near that building, where I remained during that day and until the evening of July 5, when we left Gettysburg, and marched with the Second Brigade until we arrived near Hagerstown, Md., on July 11, the regiment then numbering 220 present for duty.

During the battle, the regiment lost 4 officers killed, 2 mortally wounded (since died), 12 wounded, and 2 taken prisoners. Total loss of officers, 20. The loss in enlisted men was 13 killed, 10 mortally wounded, 61 wounded, and 77 missing. Total loss of enlisted men, 161.

The regiment remained near Hagerstown, Md., until July 14, when it was transferred to the First Brigade, under your command. Since then we have marched with the First Brigade from Hagerstown, Md., to Warrenton Junction, Va., where we arrived July 25, near 5 p. m. The strength of the regiment upon its arrival at the latter place was 224 present for duty.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

D. THOMSON, Lieut.-Col., Comdg. Regt.

Brig.-Gen. Tyndale, Comdg. First Brigade, Third Division, Eleventh Corps.

On July 5, 1863, the Eleven Corps, including the 82nd, joined the Union's pursuit of the retreating Confederates. The corps marched to Hagerstown, Maryland by July 11, traveling through Emmettsburg, Middletown, Boonsboro, and Sharpsburg. At this location, officials assigned the 82nd to the First Brigade, Third Division, Eleventh Corps. The corps soon continued its pursuit of the Army of Northern Virginia, eventually reaching Warrenton Junction, Virginia, where officials assigned the Third Division to guard the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. The 82nd performed this duty at Catlett's Station until September 25, 1863, when authorities ordered the Eleventh Corps to Chattanooga, Tennessee to join the Army of the Cumberland.

On October 1, 1863, the Eleventh Corps arrived at Bridgeport, Alabama. Two days later, the corps crossed the Tennessee River and spent several weeks patrolling the surrounding countryside. On October 27, 1863, the organization advanced towards Chattanooga, reaching the outskirts of the city on the following day. As the corps approached Chattanooga, a Confederate artillery battery on Lookout Mountain opened fire. The Northerners drove in Confederate pickets near the base of Lookout Mountain and entered camp. Later that evening, Confederate General James Longstreet arrived on the field and took up a position on Wauhatchie Heights in the rear of the Eleventh Corps. Officials ordered the corps to reclaim the heights. With the 82nd leading the attack, the Northerners drove the Confederates from the area. The regiment remained on the Wauhatchie Heights until November 22, 1863, when the organization advanced forward to support Battery Wood. On the following day, Union forces attacked the Confederate line on Orchard Knob, but the 82nd remained in the reserve, seeing no combat. On November 25, 1863, officials ordered the regiment to the Union left to aid General William T. Sherman's assault on Missionary Ridge. The organization helped secure the heights for the North and constructed entrenchments well into the night. The 82nd joined the Union pursuit of the retreating Confederates, following the Southerners as far as Ringgold, Georgia. The regiment then participated in an expedition to destroy the railroad connecting Cleveland, Tennessee and Dalton, Georgia.

On November 28, 1863, the Eleventh Corps departed Chattanooga for Knoxville, Tennessee, where General Longstreet's army had besieged the city's Union garrison. Upon reaching Louisville, Tennessee, eighteen miles from Knoxville, the corps discovered that the Confederates had withdrawn, and the Northerners returned to Chattanooga, arriving on December 17, 1863.

On January 1, 1864, 321 out of 349 of the 82nd members reenlisted. The re-enlistees departed for a thirty-day furlough to Ohio on January 10. The regiment returned for active duty on February 23, 1864. Two hundred new recruits joined the 82nd during the furlough. On March 3, 1864, the organization rejoined its brigade at Bridgeport, Alabama.

At Bridgeport, officials assigned the 82nd to the Third Brigade, First Division of the Twentieth Corps. On April 30, 1864, the Twentieth Corps embarked upon General William T. Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. The ultimate goal of this mission was the Union occupation of Atlanta, Georgia. In the campaign, the 82nd fought in the Battles of Resaca, Dallas, Pine Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain, Peachtree Creek, and Atlanta. On September 2, 1864, the Union military occupied Atlanta, where the regiment entered camp along Peachtree Street. The 82nd's commanding officer issued the following report at the end of the Atlanta Campaign:

HDQRS. EIGHTY-SECOND REGT. OHIO VET. VOL. INFTY., Atlanta, Ga., September 10, 1864.

SIR: In accordance with your order, I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Eighty-second Regiment of Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry during the campaign which has just ended with the capture of Atlanta:

On the 2d day of May, 1864, the regiment, then encamped near Bridgeport, Ala., broke camp and marched to Lookout Valley, Tenn., where it jonied the Twentieth Corps, or that portion encamped at that place. The regiment afterward marched to Resaca and took part in the engagement near that place. Here Capt. William J. Dickson, of Company B, who was at the time acting as major, was killed; my command met with 110 other loss. On the 25th day of May the regiment participated in the battle of Dallas, and met with a very severe loss; 11 enlisted men were killed and 53 wounded. On the 28th the Third Brigade, of which the Eighty second forms a part, was sent as an escort to the ordnance train of the Twentieth Corps to Kinston, Ga. The train, after being loaded with ammunition, returned to the front escorted by the Third Brigade, where it arrived on the 1st day of June. From this date until the 22d day of June the regiment was constantly skirmishing with the enemy; 1 enlisted man was killed by a shell near Pine Mountain on the 16th day of June. On the 22d day of June the Twentieth Corps advanced to near Kenesaw Mountain. Here the First Division was attacked by the enemy before it had taken up a position. The enemy were, however, handsomely repulsed. My command lost 1 man killed and 3 wounded. The enemy having retreated from Kenesaw Mountain, the Twentieth Corps again advanced on the 3d day of July. Constant skirmishing was kept up with the enemy, who was still retreating slowly. On the 19th of July my command, together with the Thirteenth New Jersey, was sent to find and make connection with the right of the Fourth Corps. Both regiments were under the command of Col. Carman, of the Thirteenth New Jersey. We found the right of the Fourth Corps and rendered material assistance to the skirmishers of Gen. Wood's division of said corps in driving back a strong force of the enemy. The next day, the 20th, my command was again in the front and hotly engaged with the enemy, who had attacked the Twentieth Corps in large force. My loss was heavy; 1 officer, Lieut. Asa H. Gary, was killed; 11 enlisted men were killed and 45 wounded; 5 enlisted [men] were missing and it is thought were taken prisoners. On 21st my command moved to in front of Atlanta, where it built strong earth-works under the constant fire of the enemy's guns. On the 28th day of August, the Twentieth Corps having remained before Atlanta until that date, the corps fell back to the Chattahoochee River, while the remainder of the army moved to the right and engaged the enemy near Jonesborough. The regiment remained at this point until the 2d day of September. The enemy having evacuated the city, the Eighty-second was sent, together with the One hundred and first Illinois Volunteers and Gen. Knipe's brigade, to occupy and hold the place. A portion of the Third Division, Twentieth Corps, occupied the city the same day.

During the campaign the regiment lost 2 officers killed, and also 30 enlisted men killed; 98 enlisted men were wounded, of whom 9 have since died of their wounds. The officers and men of my regiment deserve my thanks for the ready obedience they have at all times yielded me. With a very few exceptions they have at all times discharged their duty bravely and manfully. They have borne the long marches and many fatigues and privations of the campaign without a murmur.

I am, captain, very respectfully,

D. THOMSON, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. A. E. LEE Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

The 82nd spent the next ten weeks constructing fortifications at Atlanta and carrying out an occasional foraging expedition. On November 15, 1864, the 82nd embarked upon General Sherman's "March to the Sea." The command engaged in no noteworthy battles or skirmishes on this march to Savannah, Georgia, except for a small engagement with Confederate General Joseph Wheeler's cavalry on November 25. One company of the 82nd and one company of 31st Regiment Wisconsin Infantry drove the Southerners from the field. Upon reaching Savannah, the 82nd served briefly on the siege lines, before officials ordered the regiment to the rear to guard supply trains. Upon the Union's seizure of Savannah on December 21, 1864, the 82nd entered encampment within the city's confines. At the conclusion of the "March to the Sea," the 82nd's commanding officer issued the following reports:

HDQRS. EIGHTY-SECOND Regt. OHIO VET. VOL. INFTY., Near Savannah, Ga., December 27, 1864.

CAPT.: In compliance with circular from headquarters First Division, Twentieth Corps, I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my command in the various foraging expeditions sent out from Atlanta, and also in the recent campaign: The Eighty-second Regt. formed a part of the advance force which occupied Atlanta on the 2d day of September, and that time was temporarily attached to the command of Brig.-Gen. Knipe. The First Division, of which the Eighty-Second Regt. formed a part, remained encamped in Atlanta from the time of its occupation by our force until the 15th of November. The enemy having interrupted our line of communication with the rear, various foraging expeditions were sent out south of Atlanta for the purpose of procuring forage and provisions. The brigade to which the regiment is attached was sent out on two of these expeditions, the first expedition under command of Col. Robinson, commanding Third Brigade, First Division, and the second under command of Brig.-Gen. Geary. On these expeditions the regiment loaded 540 wagons of corn and provender; in addition the following supplies: 50 bushels potatoes, 25 head of hogs, 15 head of sheep, 6 head of cattle, and 20 gallons of molasses.

Early on the morning of the 9th of November the enemy, in small force, made an attack on our picket-line south of Atlanta. The Third Brigade was sent to the attacked point, but before getting into position the enemy were repulsed, and the brigade returned to its encampment.

I am, captain, very respectfully,

D. THOMPSON, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. A. E. LEE, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

HDQRS. EIGHTY-SECOND Regt. OHIO VET. VOL. INFTY., Near Savannah, Ga., December 27, 1864.

CAPT.: On the 15th day of November the regiment left it camp in Atlanta and entered upon the campaign which ended with the capture and occupation of Savannah by our forces. During the campaign the troops were principally subsisted off the country through which we passed. On the 16th we reached and commenced destroying the railroad near Stone Mountain. My regiment here destroying about two miles of the road. But small forces of the enemy were met, and until our arrival before Savannah it was necessary for the regiment to take a position in line of battle but twice. The first time was near Sandersville, on November 25. We met the enemy late in the afternoon. The fighting (which was nothing more than skirmishing) was principally done by our advance cavalry. The Third Brigade was in advance and formed in line of battle. We encamped in line, and the next morning the Second Brigade took the advance, the Third Brigade following. The enemy made but very little opposition, and we had no difficulty in occupying Sandersville. From this place we moved to Tennille Station, No. 13, and destroyed about half a mile of the railroad. On the 27th we reached Davidsborough Station, on the Georgia Central Railroad, and early on the morning of the 28th commenced destroying the railroad. We destroyed about three miles of the road and at night went into camp at Station No. 11. The Third Brigade at this point wad detached from the corps for the purpose of guarding the corps train. On the 30th we crossed the Little Ogeechee several miles above the railroad, in consequence of the destruction of the bridge, and encamped near the east bank of the river.

We marched and crossed the Augusta branch railroad on the 3d day of December, leaving Millen to our right. On the 5th our regiment was sent two miles from camp, with orders to destroy two mills. I destroyed the mills and returned to camp. From this time until the 9th considerable force in our front. They were in a strong position, had fortifications with two pieces of artillery, and their front and right was protected by a swamp. The Thirty-first Wisconsin and Sixty-first Ohio were thrown forward, and succeeded in passing through this swamp and attacked the enemy from the rear and right. The Eighty-second Ohio was thrown forward as a support, but before my regiment succeeded in passing through this swamp the Thirty-first Wisconsin and Sixty-first Ohio had attacked and routed the enemy. On the 10th, having reached Monteith, a station on the Savannah and Charleston Railroad, the Third Brigade was ordered to commence and effectually destroy as much of this road as possible. The Eighty-second Ohio Regt. destroyed about 300 yards of the road and also the station-house. The same day, having reached the enemy's lines in front of Savannah, the brigade took up a position, with three regiments in line of battle, with the Second Brigade on the right. My regiment was on the front line, connecting with the Thirty-first Wisconsin on the right and the One hundred and forty-third New York on the left. On the 11th the brigade was moved a short distance to the left, the regiments occupying the same positions the rear. On the 13th the brigade was moved about three miles to the rear, where a second or rear line was formed for the purpose of protecting the rear. The Eighty-second occupied the right of this line, my pickets connecting with those of the One hundred and forty-third New York on my left. My command occupied this position until the surrender of Savannah and its occupation by our forces. The regiment entered its present encampment on the 23d of December, connecting on the right with the One hundred and forty-third New York and on the left with the Thirty-first Wisconsin.

During the campaign my command has captured 13 head of horses, 25 head of mules, 30 head of cattle, 150 head of hogs, 35 head of sheep, 200 pounds sugar, 4 tons fodder, 200 bushels of corn, 200 bushels of potatoes, 125 bushels of corn meal, 1,000 pounds of flour, 160 gallons of molasses, and chickens and turkey's innumerable. My command also captured 30 negroes and destroyed in all six miles of railroad and 150 bales of cotton and burned two cotton gins.

I am, captain, very respectfully,

D. THOMSON, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. A. E. LEE, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

On January 17, 1865, the 82nd joined General Sherman's Carolinas Campaign. The regiment spent most of the expedition foraging, corduroying roads, and marching. The organization passed through the South Carolina communities of Pureysville, Robertsville, Columbia, Alston, Winnsboro, Rocky Mount Post-office, Lancaster, Chesterfield, and Cheraw. By mid-March, the 82nd entered North Carolina, reaching Fayetteville on March 11, 1865. Five days later, the regiment participated in a skirmish at Averysboro, North Carolina, with the Northerners slowly forcing the Confederates from the battlefield. The 82nd also participated in the Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina (March 19-21, 1865). In this Union victory, the regiment helped repulse several Confederate attacks, while having two officers and nine enlisted men wounded and fourteen other soldiers missing.

On March 24, 1865, Sherman's command advanced to Goldsboro, North Carolina, where officials consolidated the 82nd Ohio with the 61st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The new organization retained the name of the 82nd Ohio. On April 10, 1865, the regiment advanced to Raleigh, North Carolina, where the organization remained until Confederate General Joseph Johnston surrendered his army to Sherman in late April. During the Carolinas Campaign, the commanding officers of the 82nd issued the following reports:

HDQRS. EIGHTY-SECOND OHIO VETERAN VOLUNTEERS, Near Goldsborough, N. C., March 27, 1865.

CAPT.: In compliance with orders from brigade headquarters I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of my command during the recent campaign:

During the campaign just ended the Eighty-second Regt. has destroyed 2 miles of railroad, captured 113 mules, 92 horses, and 7 head of cattle. I have also destroyed 646 bales of cotton and 13 cotton-gins and 11 cotton-presses.

I have captured 25,150 pounds of meat, 7,760 pounds of flour, 4,952 pounds of corn meal, 50 bushels of sweet potatoes, 16 gallons of molasses. I also captured and destroyed 60 Enfield rifles.

The regimental foraging parties have captured in all 25 prisoners. In the engagement of the 16th instant it lost in wounded 8, and on the 19th its loss in killed was 1, in wounded 11, and in missing its loss was 13, 6 of whom have since returned.

I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES S. CRALL, Maj., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. ALFRED E. LEE, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.


SIR: In compliance with orders from brigade headquarters I have the honor to transmit report of operations of my command since leaving Goldsborough, N. C.:

On the 10th day of April, 1865, the Eighty-second Regt., composing a part of the Third Brigade, under command of Maj. James S. Crall, left Goldsborough in pursuit of Lieut.-Gen. Johnston; marched a distance of fifteen miles and encamped. On the 11th, after marching fifteen miles, the regiment arrived near Smithfield. On the 12th crossed the Neuse River. On the 13th, the regiment arrived at Raleigh, N. C., where it remained in camp until the 22d [25th]. On that day the command marched in a northwest direction a distance of eleven miles, where it remained in camp two days, then returned to Raleigh, encamped one day, then started en route for Richmond, Va.

On the 30th the regiment reached and crossed Neuse River, and on the 2d of May crossed Tar River. On the 3d passed through Williamsborough and crossed the State line into Virginia; crossed the Roanoke River. May 6th, arrived at Blacks and Whites Station. On the 7th crossed Appomattox River; arrived in the vicinity of Richmond on the 9th; remained in camp one day, when I arrived at and took command of the regiment. On the 11th crossed James River and passed through Richmond, Va., in review. On the 12th we passed Ashland Station and crossed the Chickahominy and South Anna Rivers. The 13th crossed Little River. The 14th crossed North Anna River and arrived near Spotsylvania Court-House; passed through the latter place on the 15th, and camped near the Rappahannock River, crossing the river next day. On the 18th crossed Bull Run and passed Fairfax Station. May 19, arrived in camp near Alexandria, Va. remained in camp until the morning of the 24th, when the regiment marched to and passed through Washington, D. C., in review, and then marched to its present place of encampment.

S. J. McGROARTY, Brevet Brig.-Gen., Cmdg.

Capt. A. E. LEE, Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Third Brig., First Div., 20th Army Corps.

On April 30, 1865, the 82nd departed Raleigh for Washington, DC. Marching via Richmond, Virginia, the regiment reached Alexandria, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, on May 19, 1865. The 82nd participated in the Grand Review on May 24, 1865 and entered camp near Fort Lincoln. On June 15, 1865, the regiment departed Washington for Louisville, Kentucky. The organization traveled by train to Parkersburg, West Virginia, before boarding boats and sailing down the Ohio River to Louisville. At Louisville, the 82nd entered camp at Speed's plantation, five miles south of the city. The regiment mustered out of service at Louisville on July 25, 1865. The soldiers proceeded to Columbus, Ohio, where officials discharged the 82nd's members on July 29, 1865.

During the 82nd Ohio's service, at least 138 men, including sixteen officers, died from wounds. An additional 119 men, including one officer, died from disease or other causes.

Related Entries