In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units.
In the American Civil War, Ohio provided the federal government with 260 regiments of men, including infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. Ohioans also served in several other regiments from other states, most notably from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Massachusetts, as well as in federal units. Almost 330,000 Ohio men, including 5,092 African Americans, served in the Union military during the conflict.
Artillery units in Ohio served for varying lengths of time, averaging one hundred days to three years. By mid 1863, Union soldiers had captured numerous Confederate fortifications in the South. The United States government authorized the creation of heavy artillery units to garrison these forts. Ohio provided the government with the 2nd Regiment Ohio Heavy Artillery, which consisted of twelve different batteries. The 2nd's Battery F mustered into service on September 23, 1863, at Covington, Barracks, at Covington, Kentucky. The men in the battery were to serve three years.
On October 11, 1863, Battery F moved to Fort Lytle at Bowling Green, Kentucky. The battery transferred to Charleston, Tennessee, on May 26, 1864. On August 18, 1864, at Charleston, the organization engaged Confederate forces under Joseph Wheeler, helping the Union soldiers to repulse the Southerners' attack.
On October 9, 1864, the organization relocated to Loudon, Tennessee. The battery departed Loudon for Strawberry Plains, Tennessee on November 18, 1864, with the intention of assisting beleaguered Union forces at this new location. Two days later, Battery F marched to Knoxville, Tennessee. On December 7, 1864, the battery, along with other Union forces, participated in a brief campaign into western Virginia, returning to Knoxville on December 29, 1864. On January 11, 1865, Battery F began to garrison Loudon.
In August 1865, officials ordered Battery F to Nashville, Tennessee, where the organization mustered out of service on August 23, 1865. Authorities then sent Battery F to Camp Chase at Columbus, Ohio, where officials discharged the battery's members from military duty on August 29, 1865.